Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus Maps updated

Views : 4980

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2021, 19:10   #11
ridax

He does as it suits him, but remember it takes 2 years before it even starts to be abnormally outdated, and as he haven't installed updates for some years before, it will take long time before it is as outdated as it is right now.
ridax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2021, 08:51   #12
denecaster

I tried to download the update to a USB yesterday - after about five hours, it had only reached 4gb out of 20. It would download a few hundred mb in about ten seconds, then sit there doing nothing for five minutes, then do it again, and it kept on doing this for hours.

So I left it running overnight and this morning, it had stopped working before it got halfway through downloading.

Is there any way to get a quicker download? There's nothing wrong with my connection at all, everything else works fine, and it's a fibre connection so it should be quick enough.
denecaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2021, 09:27   #13
TeamG
Master Member

Keep trying and adjust your pc settings to prevent it going to sleep or shutting down. I had exactly the same issue, multiple attempts with the first bit going quickly and then slowing, eventually failing. I adjusted the sleep setting and it worked first time afterwards.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2021, 10:40   #14
denecaster

Thanks. I did that last night, and it still took forever to fail.

So this morning I downloaded it to my desktop, instead of straight onto the USB, and it took less than an hour to complete.

It's now saying it'll take two hours to copy to the USB stick.

Think I'll have to spend a bit more on a decent USB, or it'll take three weeks to upload to the car.
Old May 7th, 2021, 10:41   #15
TeamG
Master Member

Similar nonsense for me to get it onto the USB, but seamless transfer to the car, which advised 1hr 40 mins.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2021, 13:33   #16
BlueDevil

That's the thing with USB sticks... they take FOREVER to format. And nobody does proper formatting, but rather the quick one, which deos not actually perform formatting but rather just says there you're formated but the actual formatting happens when you're writing to it. So it formats a block, writes to it, formats the next one, writes to it, etc. And that is SLOOOOOOOOOOW as hell.

Best bet is like alldonein1 did, to download to destkop and then do a simple copy/paste to the stick. See it takes 2 hours, which is crazy, and when doing it parallel with download it takes forever.

I myself tried numerous combinations with Mac, PC, new stick, old stick, USB2 stick, USB3 stick, and it all boils down to that one simple workflow: download to destkop, then copy to stick. It's the fastetst option.
Not to mention that if your stick goes tits up (like one of mine did), you'll have to redownload all to a new one, while when you have it on desktop it's just a matter of another copy/paste. Only when it's installed in car and working do I delete it from desktop...

HTH
Old May 8th, 2021, 17:01   #17
denecaster

Yup, that's what I did and it was soooo much faster - downloaded in less than an hour, copied to the stick in about half an hour.

Trouble is, when I put the USB in the car, it starts downloading then after a bit it says 'Update failed, USB unreadable, press EXIT'

I press the only exit button on the console aaaand...

...it goes back to doing the update.

Obviously I need a new USB (again), but is there a way of taking the USB out of the slot without screwing the entire system?
The Following User Says Thank You to denecaster For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2021, 16:53   #18
JeffCooper63

FYI - on the maps download webpage, it now says when the next planned update is (2022!)
JeffCooper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeffCooper63 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2022, 13:03   #19
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCooper63 View Post
FYI - on the maps download webpage, it now says when the next planned update is (2022!)
And its available now
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HDAV For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2022, 15:27   #20
RDesign4Life
Master Member

Is updating the maps yourself 'safe'? No chance of it going pear shipped and bricking?
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post: