Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Aftermarket Stereo

Views : 1832

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2021, 18:03   #1
JNMann

Default V70 Aftermarket Stereo

Whilst I prefer keeping everything 'as is' my stereo has the dreaded CD fault so I think I'd be better off fitting a double din aftermarket.

I'm looking at the cheap Android units to start with, see how it goes. I like the idea of Android mirroring for Google Maps, Spotify etc. and need the bluetooth also. I'd be happy to spend more on a better quality unit if it gives me the same functions.

Most aftermarket double dins have switches all over, ideally I'd like somethiung that was totally touch screen to look neat in the dash. Anyone able to share photo's of their installs please?

I'd like to keep the original look as much as possible. Most fashias on eBay seem to blank off the cup holder which I'd prefer to keep. Is there a reason for this? I did find this:

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/inca...tting-kit.html

Which looks neater but still I'd lose the cup holder. I assume these cables are everything I'd need at this price.
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 21:54   #2
Davey J

I think you can get an OEM double din from the States. The aftermarket ones all fit a bit squiff in my experience. Also I have a mechless Pioneer double din available although you’ll need a separate module to retain steering wheel controls 👍
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 08:35   #3
Millie20

Following with interest. Among the many other things I'd like to do with my V70, a double din android unit is pretty high on the list.

You can definitely keep the cupholder, I've seen the bracket somewhere, but it escapes me at the moment.

One thing that I keep reading about is the loss of the middle dash speaker when you upgrade the head unit. Collateral damage, I guess.
Millie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millie20 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 16:21   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I've done this with the following:

1 x Sony XAV-AX3005DB Apple CarPlay Android Auto™ DAB Receiver with Aerial & Rear Camera

1 x FKIT-VOLVO-06 1 x Volvo S60, V70 (2000 - 2004) Double Din Car Stereo Fascia Fitting Kit
(came with module for s/wheel buttons)

from dynamic sounds who delivered without any mistakes in my case. other retailers are available

when removing your old cd unit dont bin it all!! i ended up digging through the bin to get the metal frame that goes around it and holds the two parts together (head unit and cup holder) you need that to fix it all back in

it was a pretty easy fit. managed to run my usb input (on a sort of fly lead permanently connected to the head unit) into the armrest box for tidyness

i would do a picture but I don't have photobucket etc. just trust me it looks the tits

I didnt care about the cupholder. it's a nicely made thing but i used the blank space to mount a flush twin USB power socket and a switch for the dimmer (see below)

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 8th, 2021 at 16:41.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 16:24   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

reversing camera was the most awkward bit.. I fixed mine to the upper/inside of boot door aiming right down. to save it from the jetwash etc

bit of a fiddle to run the cable but there you go

DO NOT disconnect your aircon / heater panel with the battery connected, it throws up an airbag fault (unless you can clear it yourself that's £50 wasted). if you pull it out and sort of flip it around it can hang down in the drivers footwell side sufficiently out of the way to do the install... gently so as not to damage connector or wiring obviously

Android auto is a bit of a nuisance. i found you have to have power saving options all turned off on your mobile or the map freezes up mid-journey

and as soon as the kids realised they can shout HEY GOOGLE to talk to my car that was the most hilarious thing they ever discovered. at 5 and 4 you can imagine the endless joy lol

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 8th, 2021 at 16:45.
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 16:26   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

the loss of a central speaker is mitigated in my case by the addition of a very tidy (though i say so myself) twin 12" sub box in the boot

the door speakers are pretty punchy on their own, that said

mini project - link
Old Jan 8th, 2021, 16:37   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

other points to note:

being a volvo you dont turn the lights on and off therefore the dimmer option wont work (the map is BRIGHT white at night and dimmer turns it to dark mode) so I fitted a little rocker switch to feed a 12v signal into that wire on and off.

also the rear view camera needs 12v. if you use the reversing light then it only works when you have it in reverse. which is ok, but some people like to use it to monitor a tow hitch (and you can go into the menu and press rear view only to see a blank screen unless you are in reverse) so feed that from a standard switched 12v

dont forget the tow connecter by the spare wheel has a variety of useful cables to splice into for this purpose. that way you only have to run the video cable up front. i used this to switch my sub on too.
connecting to the reversing light may cause imbalance and a fault? unknown to me but possible (others can confirm)

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 8th, 2021 at 16:40.
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 11:17   #8
Millie20

Excellent report Stuart. Thanks for taking the time.

Would really appreciate seeing a pic. You can use a free host like imgbb.com - upload an image and choose BBCode thumbnail linked from the dropdown.

This is that link posted below. I just did it to show results - A pic of a massive load I took to the tip yesterday.

Millie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 11:32   #9
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

lol you gotta love the transit van capacity of the volvo

my missus got excited about all the space, then when I put the subs in she was all WTF

haha boys will be boys

I'll try and get some pics up

mini project - link
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 20:18   #10
JNMann

Thanks Stuart, I see you have the 2004 though, mine is facelift 2005 which is slightly different.

Can't find anything anyway about keeping the cupholder so may have to give up on that idea lol.

I would like to take the oppurtunity to add the camera on, wondered about a bluetooth unit which would just need power and not the cable right to the headunit?