Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 803146

Replies : 6184

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2022, 22:15   #1601
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's got to be some sort of mistake, surely? Maybe £80 at a push but £800?????
There's a lot of it about: Random joe looks at pile of stuff in grandad's garage and checks ebay for car prices: Bugger me, if 244s are selling for £8-10k then some joker will pay top dollar....

It's worse in Europe and America, stupid prices being asked for stuff that's still available new/reproduction.

I guess that NOS aftermarket louvres are pribably worth a bit north of £80, but not by an order of magnitude.
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 22:47   #1602
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
There's a lot of it about: Random joe looks at pile of stuff in grandad's garage and checks ebay for car prices: Bugger me, if 244s are selling for £8-10k then some joker will pay top dollar....

It's worse in Europe and America, stupid prices being asked for stuff that's still available new/reproduction.

I guess that NOS aftermarket louvres are pribably worth a bit north of £80, but not by an order of magnitude.
Even if they were, they're likely to be as brittle as a very brittle thing by now!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 22:50   #1603
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I think people do that (advertise in the wrong (i.e. not motor car) section) to avoid paying the eBay fees
Possibly, although only for low value junkers where saving a few quid makes sense.
More likely explanation is nooby sellers relying on ebay category selections.
Here's another example of a low-feedback seller posting their volvo in the Haynes manuals category:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353850673356
Still has a bunch of watchers, although didn't sell last time around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 00:53   #1604
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Possibly, although only for low value junkers where saving a few quid makes sense.
Here's another example of a low-feedback seller posting their volvo in the Haynes manuals category:
Eek!!!!! An HGF on wheels! At least the brakes work, evidenced by the sizeable whump up the jacksey!

For a scruffy, dented car with bits missing and the potential for imminent HGF, £1100 is a lot of money. Even moreso when you need to take your knitting with you to stop getting bored while you wait for it to accelerate and watch the fuel guage drop in proportion to how hard you press the loud pedal.

Had it been the 2.0 360GLE/GLT version, it might have been different but it still has bits missing and a sizeable anal intrusion!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 02:04   #1605
BicycleBoy
Master Member

I wasn't recommending it, just using it as an example... at 105k it's probably got a year or two left in it at most, and the rusty front valence has been NLA since last century. Five hundred to park it in a field and sell as a bonafide historic vehicle in three years time might be a cynical risk worth taking though...

The 1.4 heads may pop, but they're relatively easy to fix. I skimmed mine on a thick glass sheet with grinding paste, then flushed out the engine by replacing the oil with red diesel and running for a few minutes.
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 02:51   #1606
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I wasn't recommending it, just using it as an example... at 105k it's probably got a year or two left in it at most, and the rusty front valence has been NLA since last century. Five hundred to park it in a field and sell as a bonafide historic vehicle in three years time might be a cynical risk worth taking though...

The 1.4 heads may pop, but they're relatively easy to fix. I skimmed mine on a thick glass sheet with grinding paste, then flushed out the engine by replacing the oil with red diesel and running for a few minutes.
Maybe but it's "Reserve not met" so i'd guess the reserve is somewhere north of £1000.
I didn't think you were recommending it, to be honest it has very little to recommend it from the start. You can get away with a very light skim on the heads sometimes but it depends on A) how badly banana-shaped the head has become and B) whether the liners have kept their lower seals intact in the block.

If the liners have popped their seals it will constantly give HGF symptoms, even after the HG has been done and the head is still flat, i once got away with over-tightening the head bolts "somewhat" on a reluctant car (1.7) and insisting the customer brought it back in a weeks time for head re-torquing which i broke the rules and did hot. Fixed it though (complete bodge but it worked!) and he sold it not long after in favour of a bright yellow and cinnamon (rust) Metro that was more holey than godly and made a paper doily look comparatively well filled!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 06:46   #1607
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That is one possible explanation. The other is that this seller also knows exactly what he/she is doing and has placed the ad amongst the car brochures in order to avoid paying eBay £20 - another knob I think.

:-)

Alan
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 13:25   #1608
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
what a knob
I think they heard you:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384837948460
245 appears to have been relisted in correct category....
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 16:18   #1609
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I think they heard you:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384837948460
245 appears to have been relisted in correct category....
Maybe he/she is reading this column? If so I hope the person will accept my apology; me using bad language was uncalled for.

Alan

PS. ... or maybe eBay caught him/her out and wanted its £20 of flesh. If that is the case I still offer my apology.
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 17:49   #1610
BicycleBoy
Master Member

I'm sure they'll be content with a sale. Although that's now entirely dependent on how realistic the reserve is...