Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 803531

Replies : 6184

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2021, 12:16   #1201
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Nah it's not watertight!
Only a basis! 2" of ethically sourced pitch on it!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 22:16   #1202
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I had a spare minute so I looked up the MoT history for A745XAM
VOLVO 240

Colour Brown
Fuel type Petrol
Date registered 1 January 1984
MOT expired on 30 September 2019

... so it has been off the road for 2 years. There is also a 10 year gap when the motor car was VOR from 2006 to 2016. It looks like the motor car has probably been sitting on the current owner's drive since he/she bought it in about 2016 as it has only been MoT tested once in that time.

I rather suspect the current owner bought it cheaply as a barn find or similar in 2016, got it through the MoT and has since parked it on the drive waiting for it to appreciate. Perhaps he/she intended to wait until it qualified for historic car status but got bored and couldn't wait another 4 years? Perhaps the ULEZ has made it impractical to keep now?

Anyway, there is a bit more to this than meets the eye, and it is not very good news. Is the motor car worth £5,000? Of course not - £2,500 would be fair.

Alan

PS. Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 10 February 2017
I know a little bit about this, it was for sale last year for £3500 if I recall correctly. I have some correspondence with the owner who I think is still the same owner.
So as I understand it the first owner died after having the car for two years. It was then stored by his daughter for a further 10 years. He then talked of long periods of no use, no mot until an enthusiastic bought it in 2017 as a non runner and recommissioned it, he bought it in 2018, and it had mot, but when it ran out he still uses it without it being mot’d, so it’s still in use but without mot! It is apparently fairly mint, with a little rust, but not on any of the brown paintwork, which looking at the latest pics it’s on the black wheel well or well on opposite side. It has a couple of bird poo marks on roof. I would say it’s probably worth 3k or close to what he was asking last year, but not the 5k now!
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dan 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 06:51   #1203
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan 244 View Post
I know a little bit about this, it was for sale last year for £3500 if I recall correctly. I have some correspondence with the owner who I think is still the same owner.
So as I understand it the first owner died after having the car for two years. It was then stored by his daughter for a further 10 years. He then talked of long periods of no use, no mot until an enthusiastic bought it in 2017 as a non runner and recommissioned it, he bought it in 2018, and it had mot, but when it ran out he still uses it without it being mot’d, so it’s still in use but without mot! It is apparently fairly mint, with a little rust, but not on any of the brown paintwork, which looking at the latest pics it’s on the black wheel well or well on opposite side. It has a couple of bird poo marks on roof. I would say it’s probably worth 3k or close to what he was asking last year, but not the 5k now!
That is really interesting Dan, and rather corroborates my previous guesswork.
The bit about driving it around London with no MoT is astounding - there must be hundreds on ANPS cameras on poles and in vans between Twickenham and Luton.

I suppose the chap is just chancing his arm in advertising the motor car at £5,000. It is probably quite nice, but only very good cars will make that much. I'm guessing it didn't sell at £3,500 last year, so its value isn't that high, perhaps between £2,500 and £3,000?

Alan
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 09:35   #1204
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
That is really interesting Dan, and rather corroborates my previous guesswork.
The bit about driving it around London with no MoT is astounding - there must be hundreds on ANPS cameras on poles and in vans between Twickenham and Luton.

I suppose the chap is just chancing his arm in advertising the motor car at £5,000. It is probably quite nice, but only very good cars will make that much. I'm guessing it didn't sell at £3,500 last year, so its value isn't that high, perhaps between £2,500 and £3,000?

Alan
Driving around London without the appropriate docs may be ok if it were on cloned plates! Not that I am suggesting anything of the sort!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 09:45   #1205
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Driving around London without the appropriate docs may be ok if it were on cloned plates! Not that I am suggesting anything of the sort!!
... without a MoT test it can't be taxed, and if one isn't going to bother with MoT or tax then buying insurance would seem pointless... if this is true then if is bizarre.

Alan
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 07:35   #1206
Othen
Premier Member

I noticed this old motor car for sale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255198433...53.m1438.l2649

I like it: a fair bit of rust around the windscreen, and more on the rear wheel arches - which will need sorting and probably lead to finding a bit more here and there. The inside looks nice though, and it has a bit of history.

How much will it go for: well, it is firmly in the 'middling cars' category, and still 6 years from qualifying as an historic vehicle, so £2,000 or there about?
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 08:24   #1207
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

I like it: a fair bit of rust around the windscreen, and more on the rear wheel arches - which will need sorting and probably lead to finding a bit more here and there. The inside looks nice though, and it has a bit of history.

How much will it go for: well, it is firmly in the 'middling cars' category, and still 6 years from qualifying as an historic vehicle, so £2,000 or there about?
I suspect if a dealer gets hold of it, we'll see it again in a months time all bright and shiny with no evidence of the rust spots and an immaculate interior. That doof bin might be tricky to find though.

If it's a private sale, probably £1500-2000, if a dealer gets involved, who knows!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 09:02   #1208
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
... I was reflecting on this one and really couldn't think of any reason it might be worth more than the similar UK cars advertised on C&C:
a. This one is about the same age, a little bit cheaper and from a dealer (which might afford some small consumer protection): https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1243906

b. This motor car is again about the same age, a grand or so cheaper but otherwise similar: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1356881

c. Just to put everything in balance, this is the Wellingbrorough motor car that Andrew mentioned above. It is quite a bit more expensive but otherwise similar - but there again it has been advertised for sale for over a year: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1375693
... so we get back to the previous conclusion: the motor car isn't a bargain, but it isn't overpriced by much (perhaps it should be £4,500).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I suspect if a dealer gets hold of it, we'll see it again in a months time all bright and shiny with no evidence of the rust spots and an immaculate interior. That doof bin might be tricky to find though.

If it's a private sale, probably £1500-2000, if a dealer gets involved, who knows!
Maybe Dave,

I'm still not convinced there is sufficient mark up for a dealer if the motor car costs him £2,000. I have just checked those three 240s that are advertised on C&C that we discussed a few weeks ago (see the links above). There were variously for sale at £4,000 to £8,000 and none has sold in the intervening period. They all look like nice cars, probably a bit better than this one could be made to be, and all have better provenance. My point is that dealers may ask very high prices, but I'm far from convinced they ever (or hardly ever) materialise.

If the bits of rust were sorted on this motor car, it has a good service and was well presented I'd still only see it at the top of the 'middling cars' range (so £3,000); if it was made really shiny then it might sneak into the 'very good' category - but I don't think it would be as good as the £4,000 one in one of the C&C links above, which puts its top value around £3,500.

Now, how much would it cost to get it there? That rust around the window is quite a big issue because it is on show. To fix it properly the window would have to come out. It could be just scrubbed down and filled, but it will be back again in 6 months. The rusty arches might be just that - or they may lead to rusty sills and boot floor (all the normal suspects).

I'm not convinced the motor car could be sorted for less than a grand - then the dealer's margin is only £500 - is that worth the trouble? You may have noticed a similar discussion with a chap in France in another recent thread, this is exactly the same point.

It will be interesting to see what this motor car goes for.

Alan
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 09:40   #1209
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:

It's been on Mugtree @ £2300 for quite awhile, ten days. I'm also pretty sure it's not its first appearance!

I like " whore house red"!
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 09:43   #1210
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:

From the aBay description it is actually unique - the only 5-door 240 saloon in existence AFAIK! The location of that 5th door is not, however, apparent from the photographs.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: