Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2016 XC90 Diesel won't start.

Views : 4592

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2020, 05:51   #1
AL NZ

Default 2016 XC90 Diesel won't start.

Hi all,
any help appreciated.
D5 XC90 going fine this morning. two 1 mile trips, no problems. An hour later, will not start. all lights on dash come up, but no starter motor function at all. I have checked all fuses. Tried jump starting it. Left it charging for 20 mins via jumper leads from another running car. nothing works.
Stuck in Park, and my NZ-spec car doesn't have the little hidden manual release under the front rubber insert that the internet says should be there to get it out of P.
I have also disconnected the boot battery earth for 15-20 mins, twice.
the brake pedal is completely hard - no travel - so perhaps it won't travel far enough to allow the car to start.
no fault codes either on touch screen, or on my OBDII reader

Last edited by AL NZ; Sep 12th, 2020 at 06:37.
AL NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 07:38   #2
Driver Dave

Mine, a MY17 purchased July 2016, did a similar thing whilst on holiday last September.

We had driven about 15 miles to the beach, had a walk lasting 45 minutes or so. On returning to the car the dash lit up as normal but there was no reaction from the car when I turned the control to start the car.

Very long story short, my car was recovered to my dealer. Initially they though it was the battery, they replaced it but the following morning the battery was completely discharged, after much investigation, including replacing the main battery again, they found the electronic steering lock had failed. That was replaced and I have not had a problem since.

Good luck with getting your sorted, let us know what happens.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 09:09   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Is the parking brake off, if not try releasing it with ignition on (hold starter switch in on position for more than 5 seconds) this may give more movement on foot brake.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 12:00   #4
Mad Malc

I would be surprised if you did not have the emergency manual release for the gear lever. It is down the small hole under the rubber tray, the lever is not visible. I use a plastic straw to put down the hole. It is not easy to locate and has very little resistance. Once you find it you will get it easier the second time.
Keep prodding gently and you will find it, keep giving the gear lever a gentle pull with every exploratory prod.
I use it all the time so I can push my car in and out of the garage to avoid starting the car for a few seconds and hopefully protecting my 'cat'
Good hunting.
Mad Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 12:35   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL NZ View Post
Hi all,
any help appreciated.
D5 XC90 going fine this morning. two 1 mile trips, no problems. An hour later, will not start. all lights on dash come up, but no starter motor function at all. I have checked all fuses. Tried jump starting it. Left it charging for 20 mins via jumper leads from another running car. nothing works.
Stuck in Park, and my NZ-spec car doesn't have the little hidden manual release under the front rubber insert that the internet says should be there to get it out of P.
I have also disconnected the boot battery earth for 15-20 mins, twice.
the brake pedal is completely hard - no travel - so perhaps it won't travel far enough to allow the car to start.
no fault codes either on touch screen, or on my OBDII reader
try giving the starter motor a tap with a small hammer whist someone holds the key in start position ...
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 17:31   #6
apnicolle

I had the same issue on my V90CC. It turned out to be the fuse for the steering lock, and not the lock itself. This was one of the small fuses in the footwell fuse box and to be honest it was hard to see that it had blown. Once replaced by the VOC man with a bigger fuse all was fine (there is a TSB about it for all SPA cars up to 2018 model year apparently)
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 23:27   #7
AL NZ

Thanks for all the suggestions.

After much wrestling of footwell carpet I found the front passenger fuse box. It is on the other side of the car (RHD vehicle), a small fact they neglect to put in the handbook issued with the car. It is also very hard to get at under the carpet, again not shown or mentioned.
No blown fuses.
I managed to get it out of Park, but the electric handbrake is stuck on...
Run out of ideas..

UPDATE. no progress. My wife is over my efforts, so called the Volvo Assist number. the car is 4 years old, out of factory warranty, but I bought an aftermarket one. They sent the AA man. He put voltmeter on the posts under bonnet/hood - only 11.9V so battery/batteries may be on way out. He tried a few things but still no go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F46D584B-6224-468E-A010-99711C52ED2C.jpeg (81.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpeg 3850DAD9-461E-49F6-80BD-2CB721445B87.jpeg (82.4 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by AL NZ; Sep 13th, 2020 at 00:52.
AL NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 08:31   #8
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL NZ View Post
After much wrestling of footwell carpet I found the front passenger fuse box. It is on the other side of the car (RHD vehicle), a small fact they neglect to put in the handbook issued with the car.
Do you mean that the box is located on the left side of the car while the manual shows it on the right side?

Last edited by gaby; Sep 13th, 2020 at 08:33.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 09:48   #9
Lexman8
Premier Member

I can't make sense of those pics. Are they upside down, transposed or what?
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 09:58   #10
Gooner64

Default 2016 XC90 Diesel won't start

Same thing happened to me. The clue to the technician was that the steering lock was loose. Car had to be recovered. Turned out to be the steering lock sensor which had failed and is designed, in such an event, to prohibit the car being started up with a 'steering fault'.
Gooner64 is offline   Reply With Quote