Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone with a T8 at nearly 4 or 5 years old - read this!

Views : 42679

Replies : 110

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2022, 15:34   #41
tspdavish

ERAD failed in my 45k Mile XC90 T8 6 years old a few weeks ago.

2.8k repair cost. Covered by Sytner BMW (i.e. third party) warranty, as car is 6 months in my ownership and came with a 1 year warranty. In the shop now...hopefully all gets fixed.

Symptoms were scraping noise on braking initially, no issues pulling away. Then the electric motor packed in completely and doesn't power at all, ever.
tspdavish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tspdavish For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 18:29   #42
StaffsS60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian888 View Post
I would agree re warranty cover. I do wonder how many Hybrids and EV's will end up being scrapped in years to come - whilst still relatively new - simply due to uneconomic repair costs..... so much for saving the planet.... and how many will buy EV's or electrified cars with the rumoured targetted scrappage scheme who end up paying out so much on PCP's cannot then afford dealer servicing and end up with high bills for repairs ......
Story about Mercedes hybrids in the paper only last week- seven year old car heading for scrap...
StaffsS60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 22:00   #43
Ezz

Hi.
Interesting read and something to look out for. But do you know if there is a rough amount of miles the part will last.

I have a 66 plate t8 with 90000 on the clock. It was a lease car so car will have been looked after but I have no lnowledge of what has been repaired and when.

Cheers
Dave
Ezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2022, 14:27   #44
Kingmunky

Just to tag on yet another example of ERAD failure, though thankfully it was all covered under the extended warranty (2nd year in a row that I've bought it).

The car started to develop the usual symptoms of hesitating under acceleration, loss of power to the rear axle at around 42k miles. Booked it in to the local MD and hadthe fault confirmed, it took them 4 weeks to be able to arrange for a courtesy car and also to have the parts and warranty company assessor attend on the same day so I was forced to drive around on the petrol engine for a month.

All fixed up and back to normal, but then c. 3 weeks after that I've just sent it back to the MD due to an engine management light and the limp mode turtle appearing on the dash. Wouldn't charge overnight, then became hesitant and clunky whilst driving before going into reduced power mode.

Roadside mechanic confirmed it's 2 faults - one with the clutch sensor (Stuck in position) the other to do with the link between the hybrid battery and the charging module which is preventing it charging at all. We'll see how long it takes for this to be rectified.

Not exactly confidence-inspiring for a 5 y/o high-end car.
Kingmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingmunky For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2022, 14:32   #45
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmunky View Post
Just to tag on yet another example of ERAD failure, though thankfully it was all covered under the extended warranty (2nd year in a row that I've bought it).

The car started to develop the usual symptoms of hesitating under acceleration, loss of power to the rear axle at around 42k miles. Booked it in to the local MD and hadthe fault confirmed, it took them 4 weeks to be able to arrange for a courtesy car and also to have the parts and warranty company assessor attend on the same day so I was forced to drive around on the petrol engine for a month.

All fixed up and back to normal, but then c. 3 weeks after that I've just sent it back to the MD due to an engine management light and the limp mode turtle appearing on the dash. Wouldn't charge overnight, then became hesitant and clunky whilst driving before going into reduced power mode.

Roadside mechanic confirmed it's 2 faults - one with the clutch sensor (Stuck in position) the other to do with the link between the hybrid battery and the charging module which is preventing it charging at all. We'll see how long it takes for this to be rectified.

Not exactly confidence-inspiring for a 5 y/o high-end car.
The more I read. The more likely I am to be turning this car over at end of pcp. Which is a shame because I wanted to keep it for longer.

How much were your extended warranties out of interest and with who?
Old May 13th, 2022, 15:18   #46
Unifund

Hi there, thank you for this. I brought my 2017 at 3 years old, we've run around in it for 18 months with no issues, then a few weeks back started to hesitate on electric pulling away from junctions, took it in today to Volvo West London who confirmed ERAD failure. Car is less than 4 weeks off its 5 year anniversary, Volvo have confirmed they will chip in 50% of the repair (£3.5k), but if it was post 5 years, nada. Heyho, such is life I guess, coulda been worse, coulda been better, but thank you for the heads up, could have easily not done anything until post 5 years anniversary, I owe someone a pint or 2!
Unifund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2022, 23:35   #47
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unifund View Post
......could have easily not done anything until post 5 years anniversary, I owe someone a pint or 2!
Happy to help.

I thought the ERAD was the most expensive job (and I was chuffed the warranty paid for it) but I am now facing a 9k bill for a new petrol engine and no warranty anymore so I am on my own.

I might need that pint!
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2022, 12:29   #48
Kingmunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
The more I read. The more likely I am to be turning this car over at end of pcp. Which is a shame because I wanted to keep it for longer.

How much were your extended warranties out of interest and with who?
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I'm not on here often. I used the Volvo aftercare warranty package (get a flyer through the post every year) and it's around £650 iirc, can be paid by monthly d/d too. I always grumble about it but I've more than had my moneys worth out of it so far.
Kingmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kingmunky For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2022, 16:58   #49
Defiant306

Hi

I was looking at buying a S/V 70 or 90 T8 in the next year or so, is this still an issue for 21 plate cars onwards?

Also go Volvo do extended warranties, if so are they worth their cost and how long a time do they offer?

Sorry first time posting, currently looking to move away from Skoda
Defiant306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 10:44   #50
S90
IT Guru

I feel for you guys. I lease every time. New car on order is Care By Volvo. Cars are getting more and more complex with manufacturers vying for the most tech product rather than a long lasting product.

I wouldn't want a modern vehicle out of warranty, and yeah, I may be pay more for leasing but I don't have any of the worries of it failing on me.

Good luck getting these fixed and hopefully Volvo will cough up a contribution.