Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wet interior - Tailgate panel

Views : 3009

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2019, 10:45   #1
Topper

Default Wet interior - Tailgate panel

Unusual ..... on 2008 V 70 D5 96K....... no sign of anyone having a similar problem ..??

... twice in last 6 weeks, when tailgate opens and is raised, bottom of interior panel on tailgate is wet ( below rear window )... floor of load area where tailgate meets floor when closed ( tailgate panel then in contact with floor ) is also damp. Both times I have left damp umbrella in load area ... possible answer ? .... but !!... there seemed to be more water than caused by umbrella and I have left umbrella there in the past with no problems ( that I noticed ).

Dried out yesterday in sun / wind ( what's up with our weather ? ) with tailgate raised for 3-4 hours ... this a.m.... just slightly damp .. residual ?

Any ideas ??

Topper
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 21:03   #2
Peter86
Pete

There is a known problem with water getting in around the boot hinges where it collects, more so when parked on a slope. I have had a small stain on the roof lining and water run down the interior plastic behind the lights. This could be your problem.

I have attached a picture of a quick cheap fix with some D shape rubber seal. I ran it right down the sides to make sure water is kept away as much as possible plus I had plenty of seal to use. I did try it just across the top but water got in round the edges.

Just make sure the pain it cleaned of any dirt, dry, stick the seal down as flat as possible and in one whole length.

Hope this helps.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo seal.jpg (380.0 KB, 132 views)

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 09:54   #3
apersson850
Premier Member

Volvo sells a different rubber thing, 9154842, intended to prevent this issue. I had the problem, mounted the rubber lining and the issue never re-appeared.

Last edited by apersson850; Mar 19th, 2019 at 09:59.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 10:53   #4
Topper

Default Wet Interior

Thanks to you both ... I'm sure you've found the answer ... just had a double check in load area and found that there is a stain ( only slight, but a stain nevertheless) on roof lining directly below the the R H Boot lid hinge ... carpet is also slightly damp on that side also .. fitting the rubber seal seems the correct solution.

Peter 86 ... any tips on the size of Rubber Seal to buy / fit and what type of "glue" did you use to fix seal to roof ..???

Really appreciated and prompt .... Topper
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 11:43   #5
Topper

Default Wet Interior

A bit of an update ..... trying all over to locate this part ... just been quoted nearly £ 60.00 which seems extortionate...

... apersson 850 ... does this seem right and where did you get your part from ??

Thanks again .. Topper
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 12:15   #6
Peter86
Pete

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01..._pd_title&th=1

This is exactly what I purchased. Self adhesive on the back

Regards
Pete

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 12:39   #7
Topper

Default Wet interior

Peter86 .... Thanks for that ... will see how I go on ... will keep you posted.

Regards .. Topper
The Following User Says Thank You to Topper For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 13:19   #8
apersson850
Premier Member

The part from Volvo is similar. Cost in Sweden is equivalent to less than GBP 10.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 14:49   #9
Topper

Default Wet Interior

Thanks to both of you again and after this afternoon's result, I'll resolve accordingly ( see below) and the following might just be of interest to A.N.Other with a similar problem ;

1. After some lengthy conversations with the local Volvo Parts Department (the part no. 9154842.. if correct), reveals there is uncertainty, by them, about fitting "their" part as there was a change in the model at 2007/8 and thus they cannot definitely confirm it being correct. Earlier models did have the part fitted, superceded later by the larger rubber seal covering the whole tailgate (body) aperture.

They are expressing a part in to them today, for them to check, and I have to speak to them this p.m. If OK, I might buy .... at the cost of £ 12.72 incl. VAT, plus Postage.

2. The cost of the one from Amazon ( See Peter86 post earlier) is £ 6.15 incl. delivery, being a 4 m Self Adhesive Rubber Seal .... to be honest I favour this, as from the photo's kindly sent, the seal will (and apparently does) prevent water by diverting and entering the tailgate door hinge, in turn entering the vehicle and then causing the wet / stained areas I've discovered.

3. I might buy both as it dawned on me that this "leak" could have been happening for some considerable time to a lesser or greater degree, perhaps only masked then (and improved!) by last summer's lengthy hot weather, but the recent appalling rains have really discovered the problem.

It is something not easily spotted ... marks on roof lining in load area coupled with ( possibly) damp carpet at rear sides of load area, with damp transferring into bottom of tailgate panel covering.

A quick squint by similar owners might / might not reveal the problem.

Thanks again to both of you.......Regards ... Topper
The Following User Says Thank You to Topper For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 15:17   #10
apersson850
Premier Member

Although not fitted from factory, I can assure you that the part I mentioned, 9154842, does fit V70/XC70 2008-2016. It's delivered slightly long (maybe because it's designed for a different model), but you just cut it off a few cm, and it fits perfectly. You glue it to the "shelf" above the hinges, and it diverts all water trickling from the roof into the slot between the roof and the tailgate to the sides, where it can't enter the openings for the hinges. The large rubber seal on later models (I think that's the one they are referring to) is sitting futher back, so it doesn't prevent water from sneaking in at the hinges.

I have it (9154842) myself, and after fitting it, I've not had these leaks any more. I did before that.

A general rubber seal will probably do the same work as the one from Volvo. Maybe Volvo has thought about the specification for the adhesive, to be useful in a car, with the vastly different temperatures it may be exposed to there.

Last edited by apersson850; Mar 19th, 2019 at 15:20.