Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How Cool (or Warm) is your D5 Diesel in Winter?

Views : 5569

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2017, 21:25   #11
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I have.
I suggest you read it again.

Are your highlighting those words to play nitpic on how the tabs are named exactly ?
I have to startup a different pc to see it exactly so i broadly reffered it
The information i was referring to is there and not hard to find
And if you had found it and want to do difficult on the naming than im very dissapointed in you.

The ****ty system system i have to run it on doesnt allow me to printscreen it
So i paste some relevant text

You can find it under information/ product specifications/design and functions/coolingsystem

Quote:
The shut off valve is located in the inlet pipe from the thermostat housing to the expansion tank. This limits the coolant flow to the expansion tank when the engine is being run to operating speed.

The bypass valve is located between the coolant outlet on the cylinder head and the feed line to the coolant pump. This restricts the coolant flow to the coolant pump when the engine is run hot.

Most of the coolant is fed to the heat exchanger and flows back to the coolant pump via the EGR cooler.

The bypass valve begins to open at a certain coolant temperature. It remains open until the engine has reached operating temperature.

Once the engine has reached operating temperature, the thermostat and shutoff valve are fully open and the bypass valve is fully closed. At this point, the large coolant circuit is open.

The time required to warm up the engine is reduced and the cab temperature can be increased more quickly by using the shutoff valve and bypass valve.

The bypass valve and shutoff valve are controlled by the engine control module (ECM).

Coolant circuit
The flow of coolant is dependent on the following components:

Bypass valve
thermostat
shutoff valve
engine temperature sensor
engine control module (ECM)

Due to the high efficiency of the diesel engine and thus relatively small heat losses, there may be problems with maintaining a comfortable temperature in the cab when the outdoor temperature is low. The job of the various components is, on the basis of the coolant temperature, to control the flow of coolant to the heater element in the cab so that the coolant heats up as quickly as possible.

Warm-up phase, thermostat closed
The thermostat and solenoid valve are closed while the engine is warming up. At the same time, the bypass valve keeps the link from the cylinder head to the coolant pump closed.
The coolant circulates in the small circuit only, from the cylinder head and from the oil cooler to the heat exchanger in the cab.
When the engine coolant temperature rises, the bypass valve opens the connection to the coolant pump in proportion to the temperature increase. The coolant now flows to the heat exchanger in the passenger compartment and the inlet for the coolant pump. The thermostat and solenoid valve are still closed.

Thermostat starts to open
When the thermostat starts to open, the bypass valve closes the link between the cylinder head and coolant pump proportionally.
At the same time the solenoid valve gradually opens the link to the expansion tank. The flow from the cylinder head is now divided to:

the cab's heat exchanger
the inlet for the coolant pump
radiator
expansion tank

Engine has reached correct operating temperature
Once the engine has reached the correct operating temperature, the bypass valve completely closes the link between the cylinder head and the coolant pump. At the same time the solenoid valve completely opens the link to the expansion vessel.
A small amount of the coolant now flows through the cab's heat exchanger while the large flow takes place via the radiator.

Thats what VIDA said
But i also tried to find it myself and havent be able to pinpoint the location(s) yet
Im also planning to temp sensor the metal pipe to the heatercore to capture the effect

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jan 14th, 2017 at 21:28.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 21:42   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

5cilinder, the heater core /cabin receives full coolant flow always.
That's all there is to it.
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 21:52   #13
5cilinder
Premier Member

Not IF the coolant pump is temporary "squeezed" from flow during warm up

Quote:
on the basis of the coolant temperature, to control the flow of coolant to the heater element in the cab so that the coolant heats up as quickly as possible.
If the pumpinlet is squeezed just outside the engineblock than the circulation outside the block is less and inside the engineblock more temporary
And the heatercore not "full"flow during warmup
Makes sense if you want to warmup the coolant quickly as possible to keep it close to the heatsource and less to the coolsource

Well is the information true? or do i or you dont understand it?

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jan 14th, 2017 at 22:08.
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 22:26   #14
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
Well is the information true? or do i or you dont understand it?
I understand Vida just fine.

It's you I don't understand.
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 22:28   #15
5cilinder
Premier Member

Strange
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 09:40   #16
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I have to say it that on my new V70 D4 (4-cylinder) the temp gauge goes up much quicker than my 06 D5. However, it takes yonks for warm air to start coming into the cabin. Same on my previous new shape D3, but that didn't have a temperature gauge. On my old XC70 it takes much longer for the temp gauge to get up there, but warm air comes out much sooner even when the gauge is only part way up. As such, I had in my mind that the flow to the heater is somehow controlled during warm up. It makes clearing the windscreen not as good as the old car.

Compared to the 01 2.4 petrol V70 that my 06 XC70 replaced, the petrol gave me warm air very soon!

Compare all of that to a 1.6d S40 I once had, that was dreadful.

The best out of all of them: my Amazon!!!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; Jan 16th, 2017 at 09:47.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2017, 19:42   #17
Ahtif

I have a D5244T10 engine and today I changed thermostat. Previously 30 mile trip to work ended up with only 65-68C temperature (only extra urban). Thought that should be thermostat issue. Changed it, took Gates thermostat. Now when I start the engine and let it warm.. radiator hose and radiator also warms up. Seems that I got bad thermostat or ...?
Ahtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2017, 23:22   #18
5cilinder
Premier Member

Top hose can get a bit warm at the top due to the bleed valve to release air. but that should be restricted to a bit of hose not the whole one.
So if its get all hot to quickly its a bad thermostat or its not seated properly in the housing.
Always before changing it . test it in a pan of warming up water with a thermometer to ensure proper opening.
Check if its properly seated if not check it in a pan of hot water
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 08:23   #19
tt82
Forum Support Team

This morning my commute was a 35 mile mostly motorway journey. About 10 miles in there is a slight downhill gradient about a mile long. With the cruise set at 65mph, my coolant temp dropped from 80 to 76 dergrees C.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 06:17   #20
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
This morning my commute was a 35 mile mostly motorway journey. About 10 miles in there is a slight downhill gradient about a mile long. With the cruise set at 65mph, my coolant temp dropped from 80 to 76 dergrees C.
At what outside ambient temperature?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant temperature