Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to Replace the Heater Resistor

Views : 26154

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2013, 13:41   #21
Dog_Book
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch1 View Post
Me and husband really are learners when it comes to fixing our V40, but THANKS to Gatos and his photo's it's all done for £2.89 no garage bill and a bit of a laugh had, can't thank you enough
Hey just remember i love him more than you!

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dog_Book For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 15:03   #22
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch1 View Post
Me and husband really are learners when it comes to fixing our V40, but THANKS to Gatos and his photo's it's all done for £2.89 no garage bill and a bit of a laugh had, can't thank you enough
Glad I could help and thanks for your kind words. I was a learner too 2 1/2 years ago and I am still learning todate...... If I can do some of the things I do on cars, then so everyone else can do so too with some basic tools....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
Hey just remember i love him more than you!
lol. I love you too Doggie .....

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 17:07   #23
bilfish

Many thanks Gatos for your help, fixed heater today excellent post. BTW I replaced the flying saucer from Maplin couple of quid, rather than new resistor unit volvo wanted £50!!
bilfish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bilfish For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 16:43   #24
Pete_c20

I've replaced the transistor on the heatsink in the past and it cured the intermittent problems with the air blower. Unfortunately I can't remember if the transistor had an insulating washer between it and the heatsink. What I would say is that if the transistor does have some form of insulating washer then it needs to be put back in with it when the transistor is re-newed. Don't replace an insulating washer with thermal paste as the paste will eventually migrate and in time the transistor will electrically contact the heatsink and may cause further problems. If there is no washer then it's electrical contact may be important to its operation.

Operation of the Climate control pack (CCM) pack.

Whilst troubleshooting mine I noticed that there were no signals going to the transistor on the heatsink. So my first conclusion was that the CCM output driving the transistor had died. Volvo quoted £406 (+vat?) for a new circuit board. However it would seem that the CCM, when first turned used, sends out a signal and if the MJ802 transistor doesn't respond, it shuts down the signal driving it. This could be seen on an oscilloscope.

Replacing just the MJ802 transistor fixed the problem and it's been fine since.

The MJ802s probably blow due to poor heatsinking. Like Mike Alder I seemed to recall it being a good idea to increase its heatsink area. If it goes again that's what I'll do.

When people talk about replacing the 'heater resistor' do you mean that you're actually replacing the 'flying saucer' thingy on the knobbley metal bit?
Pete_c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 07:10   #25
PaulJohn

Default Fixend for just €1,50

Thanks for the great how-to. After my blower went full speed, I took my S40 to the dealer who advised me to change the complete climate control unit à raison of €500.. Now I bought a new resistor found http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s...-module-67765/ and changed it with a total cost of just €1,50 and the blower works great again.

Regards,
PaulJohn
Nehterlands, Amsterdam
PaulJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulJohn For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 10:52   #26
springer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblomeyer View Post
I have speradic (spasdic) fan blower. Periodically slow, then full blast. Can the resistor be repaired ??
Hi, I have a slightly different problem on my 2003 1.8 S40. The fan does not work at all, also no lights behind the fan control or direction control. fuses are ok.
Could it be the heater control unit?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Springer6
springer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:17   #27
johnspex

Smile

Hi, my 98 v40T4 blows at all the right speeds and the aircon is fine but the air coming out of the heater is tepid at best. The temp guage shows about 80-90 degrees and will occasionally rise to 100 at which point the coolong fan cuts in. But still I only get warmish air. Any answers?
johnspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 12:09   #28
lokibaz

Thank you so much for this, My heater stopped working all together and I have now fixed for £2.90 (cost of a MJ802 transistor from ebay) plus the cost of a new cabin filter. This fix also solved another issue I was having whereby when the heater was set to number 3 or below it would cause interference on the car radio.
lokibaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 12:22   #29
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokibaz View Post
Thank you so much for this, My heater stopped working all together and I have now fixed for £2.90 (cost of a MJ802 transistor from ebay) plus the cost of a new cabin filter. This fix also solved another issue I was having whereby when the heater was set to number 3 or below it would cause interference on the car radio.
Glad I could help

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 02:13   #30
blairs40

Default ah ****balls

hey bro , long time , so my heater doesn't turn on straight away when I turn the knob ..... maybe 5 -10 minutes it will come on and work fine ... turn car off , turn back on again and may start straight away or may not ... so thought ahA!!! the stinkin resistor/transisitor thingy .... went and bought replacement , ... pulled out old resistor and .... hmmmmm bloody different .... see attached pic ....
[IMG][/IMG]