Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 324783

Replies : 3020

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2018, 14:26   #1531
Leyburn

Changed the passenger side dipped beam lamp, I generally get about 30k miles out of them (permanently on), just long enough to forget how to change by touch alone. Tang on lamp base faces up, spring clip drops down, peering in through the (cloudy) headlight lense helps a bit. There, I'll remember if there is a next time.

Bizarrely, the driver's side dipped beam lamp failed immediately afterwards.
Leyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2018, 15:53   #1532
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyburn View Post
....Bizarrely, the driver's side dipped beam lamp failed immediately afterwards.
Strange one that, I have heard it's quite common for one bulb to take out it's opposite number when it blows. Due, perhaps, to a current spike from the arc. Not heard many cases where the other bulb has failed right after though.

Maybe it was a very well matched pair of bulbs? (FWIW I think it's good practice to replace main/dip bulbs in pairs anyway due to the decrease in efficiency as the bulbs age, not to mention the fact that if one has expired then the other is likely near it's end too.) Both dipped bulbs in our S80 were new Philips items when we purchased it, strangely both were also fitted incorrectly with the bulbs not seated properly in the holders. Oh, and the dust cap from the back of the nearside lamp unit was lodged toward the back of the bellhousing too.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 09:27   #1533
big_yin

Had a problem with my ABS.
Unfortunately I do not have Vida/Dice so had to check a couple of things.
The drive shaft bolts were not the problem

Measured the 4 ABS sensors and the rear right sensor did not give any reading.
Got a second hand one form eBay and replaced it over the weekend
Started the car and still the anti-skid came up.
After approx 100 meters the ABS warning light went out and stayed out
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 09:56   #1534
oragex
Premier Member

tiny crack in reluctor ring?
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 10:05   #1535
big_yin

I checked and cleaned these and couldn't find anything wrong with them.
It was the rear right ABS sensor that caused the error.
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 12:22   #1536
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Good thing you were able to change the ABS sensor. Sometimes they're set in place by a poured-in epoxy.
How was your's held in place?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 13:57   #1537
oragex
Premier Member

I also had a bad senor, pulled on it to remove from the hub, these wires are really fragile inside - the correct way to do is remove the small bolt then press upwards the sensor from underneath with a flat screw driver

Back to the topic, I discovered there is a filter inside the power steering reservoir (later model) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dk1-D85lF4
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 14:13   #1538
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Hmmm, interesting point at 8:56 on that video. (not watched it all yet, just skipped straight to the problems section to see if ours was described). Lo and behold the last point, about "pulsing" steering, seems to describe what our S80 is doing possibly. Steering is quite heavy initially but as you progressively put more pressure on the steering wheel it suddenly goes lighter, until force reduces and it goes back to heavier again. Thus producing what feels like pulses through the wheel if you hold it gently against the friction of the tyres at a standstill).

I had originally thought it might be the pump or a sticking valve therein but this has me a little more worried :/

No leaks from the rack that I can see, and fluid doesn't drop. It does look a bit brown and is smelly though so was going to give it a fluid flush when I replaced the pump (second hand ones about £40 here). If it is indeed the rack though, and there's no external leakage from it, I wonder if there's pressure relief valves within the rack that may be dirty/sticking? I'd much rather strip valves out and clean with the rack in situ before removing/replacing it!

Think I'll opt for getting hold of a good used pump for now & give the fluid a flush out (and clean this filter! Thanks for the link) before I look further.

TBH the car is still perfectly driveable as it is, but it does require more concentration than it should to not over-correct the steering when the assistance suddenly picks up... I suppose at least it's something to keep me awake, this car drives so smooth and quietly compared to what I'm used to that I could easily nod off on a long night time motorway run lol!

EDIT-: Nice idea on the magnet to remove particles, seems like a good supplement to the filter. Was this your video Oragex?

Last edited by ma70; Sep 3rd, 2018 at 14:32.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 14:20   #1539
big_yin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Good thing you were able to change the ABS sensor. Sometimes they're set in place by a poured-in epoxy.
How was your's held in place?
It was only a small bolt to get the ABS sensor out and then open up the panel above the fuel pump .
Not much room to get to the 4 nuts.
Would have been easier with the car seat out.
Pulled the wire out form below with a piece of string attached to pull the new sensor wire up with.
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 18:36   #1540
myfirstv70

Default New Suspension/ Track Control Arms fitted

As the title says..... bought a pair of Lemforder control arms for circa 130 pounds from buycarparts.co.uk, paid 144 pounds for fitting and tracking. I was going to fit themselves but I'm just getting over a broken ankle and knackered back. The car is transformed now, the random clunks have gone and the cornering is hugely improved. I guess I had got used to the slow deterioration! I have the old arms available if you want to do your own rebushing; I'm only asking for the postage.....
Cheers,
Nobby
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote