Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

hu650 replacement

Views : 250

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread : Lancee

Old Jan 26th, 2024, 15:16   #1
chefshoes

Default hu650 replacement

as mine only has AM and a cd changer (no fm which is annoying)

if i was to find a replacement 650 would vida need to be involved or can they just plumb in.

alternatively an aftermarket unit is an option (double din) but would be nice if i could control the unit from the wheel like i do now (volume/tracks)

ta
chefshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2024, 16:08   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

wheel controls work on after market you just get a convertor box thing

my one is this https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conn...RoCiQMQAvD_BwE

but yours may be a different model

personally I would vote for new stereo, touchscreen, android auto for maps etc, reverse camera if you want it, bluetooth for music and calls, a better amp built in .. you might have the under-seat amp which changes things slightly but mine sounds so much better than original (which was only off the head unit)

I also put twin 12's in the boot but that's optional of course

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Jan 26th, 2024 at 16:11.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2024, 17:41   #3
jeremycolley

I don't think you need VIDA. I swapped a HU850 (different radio) from a scrap car - cost me £20.00 - same year and part number and it worked fine. It threw a bit of a wobbly at first as the scrap car had parking sensors and mine doesn't, but after I pushed a few buttons the 'Parking sensors" message went away. HU650's are cheaper than HU850's so it would be worth a punt if you can find one for £20 or £30

Previous Volvo's, 1996 855 T5 CD Aubergine 855 N/A CD, 940 Wentworth, 760 Estate,740 Estate, 240 DL Estate,240 GLT Estate
jeremycolley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremycolley For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 17:26   #4
chefshoes

nice one thank you

ill keep an eye out. dab hand at removing the bloody console now after trying to fix the ccm!
Old Today, 11:30   #5
chefshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycolley View Post
I don't think you need VIDA. I swapped a HU850 (different radio) from a scrap car - cost me £20.00 - same year and part number and it worked fine. It threw a bit of a wobbly at first as the scrap car had parking sensors and mine doesn't, but after I pushed a few buttons the 'Parking sensors" message went away. HU650's are cheaper than HU850's so it would be worth a punt if you can find one for £20 or £30
dont 850s installed get plumbed in with an amp? and would it moan if it cant find one but yeah i think even though a new shiny unit would be cool, i do like the aesthetic of what i have now plus if i got a shiny, some turd would prob break in to nick it
Old Today, 12:48   #6
jeremycolley

I don't think you can swap a HU650 for a HU850. I changed my HU850 for another HU850 from a scrapyard

If I were you, I'd look for a second hand HU650 and put that in. It's a bit odd that AM and CD work but not FM. Are you sure the aerial is connected or not broken?

Previous Volvo's, 1996 855 T5 CD Aubergine 855 N/A CD, 940 Wentworth, 760 Estate,740 Estate, 240 DL Estate,240 GLT Estate
jeremycolley is offline   Reply With Quote