Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 issues, turbo adjustment

Views : 56163

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2011, 13:08   #21
fgx318

Hello Mike and all the others,

First of all I'd like to thank you Mike for your help and all the good pieces of advice by phone, I do really appreciate.
I proceeded to all the check you told me to do as well as the softair charge hose consolidation. It helps, not completely but it does help so I ordered a brand new one and it should be there wednesday or thursday. Next step is to remove the turbo for a thorough cleaning and gaskets/seals replacement. I found affordable rebuilt kits for £70. Did anybody perform a variable nozzle turbo rebuilt, if so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks again Mike, it was really nice from you
fgx318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 12:54   #22
Bernard333
Premier Member

There are sellers on ebay supplying kits for £40 to £70 , I dont trust any of them . They appear to me to be selling cheap sets of parts they have put together from China and East Europe , the price of what they are selling should be £7 not £70 . The suppliers I would like to use but cannot because they will not sell directly to me are 1 Garrett - even if they would sell they charge nearly the price of a new turbo for a few bits and pieces . 2 Diesel Levante Italy - not original Garrett but good quality patten parts 3 Melett in Barnsley - supply to trade only . Try and find a good used turbo at a reasonable price , D5 turbos have sold on ebay for £50 complete so no point trying to repair one if you can get one at that price . Your turbo is worth repairing if its just the oil seals that have failed but if there is damage to the rotor blades then bin it . You will need some good quality torx type bits , not like the ones in photo which are made by Sealey with a lifetime guarantee and sheared off the first time I used them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0962.jpg (209.4 KB, 53 views)
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 20:11   #23
fgx318

Bernard 333, this is the main problem with "el cheapos" parts available now !

I take my camera today and record my vacuum gauge connected in line from the "out" port of the GCV to the Vacuum regulator and you can see the readings on the following video. I don't speak very clearly in the video but you should understand. However, values are printed in the comments window.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB2-Bpe6lPM

To compare to the figures you gave me Mike, results are setting higher, espacially @idle, I read 10-12hg. What do you think about how the needle reacts from idle to 2800rpm ?
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 21:51   #24
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

hi Fred.
i will do a test for you in the morning and a u tube video, looking at the way the vac is going it is going down and not up . compared to the figures i have posted so could you be loosing vac from there to the turbo
mike
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 00:47   #25
fgx318

Mike,
Thank you, I do appreciate. I post another vid tomorrow, I did a mistake with reconnecting the leaking engine mounts in the system, but figures are somewhat similar and the more speed the engine revs the less vacuum I have so the problem remains the same....GRRRRR !!!! Finally the turbo may be in good condition (it may !!). Aside from the vacuum pump, I can't see what could be the culprit, connections are limited to the minimum. Vacuum pump, hose to the TCG vacuum port, hose from the out port of TCG to the Turbo Vacuum Regulator and that is all. Hoses are leak free, TCG is new and TVR don't leak either ! Do you know if there is one or two vacuum source (compartment) in the vacuum pump, i.e. one for the brakes and another for the turbo vacuum system ?
I look forward to see your video ! Thanks again Mike for your help...
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 08:26   #26
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

the vac pump splits provides for the brake servo and boost,so if you have a leak on the boost side or it is not providing enough vaccum it will not effect your brakes.have you connected in line from the vac pump to see what you are getting there
mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Sep 13th, 2011 at 08:39.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 09:30   #27
fgx318

Ok for the vacuum pump. Vacuum gauge reads 65hg @ any rpm
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 10:04   #28
fgx318

here's the new video, but nothing really changes from the previous one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wswblEWt9bA
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 11:59   #29
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

this is a test of mine at the vac pump.you can here the turbo whistle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJQPcA3USAg
mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Sep 13th, 2011 at 12:02.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 12:13   #30
Bernard333
Premier Member

I think a 1cm movement in the actuator rod is approximately the full range necessary to take the variable nozzle from closed to open and if you are getting this range of movement does it not indicate that the vacuum system and actuator is ok ? The variable nozzle mechanism is not likely to be jammed but of course as said already movement in the actuator rod will not show up the vanes sticking maybe when the engine is very hot but when you take the whole thing apart its a fairly loose fitting type of setup and looks fairly reliable to me . If the internal actuator ring breaks ( it moves the bones which are attached to the vanes ) this could jam the whole thing solid but then the actuator rod would hardly be able to move at all . You could also have a situation where the actuator ring is broken but is still able to move and open and close the vanes but obviously then not in the correct way , the only way to be sure about this is taking the turbo apart , I think I would look elsewhere for the problem before doing this . The variable nozzle turbos I have taken apart are from high mileage diesels and apart from a coating of very fine soot around the bones ( no soot on the vanes ) they were ok showing no sign of wear even though the rest of the turbo was goosed .
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernard333 For This Useful Post: