Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reversing - brakes stuck?

Views : 4874

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 15:11   #1
undercoverxc90

Default Reversing - brakes stuck?

Hi guys

I have recently bought a 2004 XC90 T6 SE from a colleague at work with 55k on the clock - I can honestly say it is the best car I have ever owned and we are very happy with it. I had an 'Essential Service' from Volvo last week (an oil change and a health check) and was advised I needed new rear pads, which I had done at the same time.

I've noticed a couple of dubious noises when reversing from cold, but today I had real troubles reversing from my driveway - it was 'trying' to reverse, so I don't think it is a transmission thing - but it felt like the brakes were on. It rolled a very short distance ( maybe quarter/half a wheel turn ) before the brakes really kicked in. It's hard to tell, but it 'felt' like the rear driver side wheel - I reapplied/removed the parking brake a few times, and went forward a little, reversed a little a few times and was able to eventually reverse properly.

I'm concerned that it will do this to me when I don't have the space to go forward first, and would appreciate it if anyone has some advice for me.

It is due in for its MOT tomorrow ( at an independent ) so will ask them - especially if it 'sticks' again in the morning, but any 'real life' experiences would be much appreciated from the forum!

Best regards

Mike
undercoverxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 16:37   #2
ctreex1

Hi Mike, have a look at this thread on page 6 of forum:-
XC90 Failed MOT on Parking Brake
ctreex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 18:14   #3
undercoverxc90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctreex1 View Post
Hi Mike, have a look at this thread on page 6 of forum:-
XC90 Failed MOT on Parking Brake
Hi ctreex
Thanks for the link - I had read that one but it seems to be more about brakes not applying strongly enough rather than them being stuck on. I'm not even sure if it is the parking brake rather than the normal brakes. I'm curious why it would seems to be more of a problem in reverse - perhaps they are sticking regularly but perhaps the forward motion 'unsticks' the brakes easier or is not as easy to detect going forwards.

Regards

Mike
undercoverxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 20:08   #4
andreasb

I've had both my rear calipers replaced due to hanging brakes. They were around £100 each + labour if you hand in your old ones. Not OEM though.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 20:29   #5
400-ascona
Premier Member

The lining has come off your handbrake shoes would be my bet.
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 20:32   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

you need new rear discs and shoes and retaining springs , the shoes will be delaminating AND the drum in the disk will be very rusty . Try applying the parking brake when coasting at 20 mph see how much retardation you get ... virualy zero ...
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 20:40   #7
400-ascona
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you need new rear discs and shoes and retaining springs , the shoes will be delaminating AND the drum in the disk will be very rusty . Try applying the parking brake when coasting at 20 mph see how much retardation you get ... virualy zero ...
Why does he need disc's, they may be fine with a clean up? I agree he may need new discs but that decision should be made based on condition.

Rob
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 20:53   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
Why does he need disc's, they may be fine with a clean up? I agree he may need new discs but that decision should be made based on condition.

Rob
from experience the many i have repaired have been heavily rusted and pitted due to people not applying the parking brake when parked . If there is lack of retardation it is very unlikely the drums are not rusty . If there was light rust it would give more friction and a good brake :-)
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 21:55   #9
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
The lining has come off your handbrake shoes would be my bet.
Amongst the other checks anyway - my money would be on this. i've had the same problem which was precisely down to disintegrated shoes. I believe that when reversing the material is pushed back into the 'thin end of a wedge' mechanism which actually makes the brake very effective...
As per the the other comments too though - it's quite possible that when it's apart the whole thing will need attention anyway ..as mine did.
It's a shame - this is probably the one simple requirement of the car that is woefully inadequate. As mine is manual - I'll regularly leave it in gear now on anything but a level surface (I've woken up to it on my opposite neighbours drive one morning - that was worrying)...

cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 09:00   #10
JimG
Premier Member

Why are there so many problems with the parking brake? Mercedes have used the same set up for as long as I can remember and I have never heard of complaints.

Is it lack of use?

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote