Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can you get 40psi out of a garden hand spray?

Views : 957

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2022, 18:41   #1
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Default Can you get 40psi out of a garden hand spray?

I want to recondition the injectors on my 740, and I'm trying to put together a kit to do this offgrid. I've bought a pulse tester, but I need to generate 40-50 psi to push the cleaner through the nozzles. I've seen a wide variety of creations for this in various youtube videos, but I haven't seen anybody try to use a garden hand spray. It seems to be the ideal solution if you can build up enough pressure.
Offgrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2022, 19:36   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

My 5lt Hozelock sprayer blows the relief valve at around 30psi. I think you will struggle with 40-50psi as that pressure isn't needed or desirable for the sprayer to do that which it was designed for.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2022, 10:14   #3
pinballdave

My sprayer has '2.5 bar max pressure' printed on it, which is 36 psi, so I'd suspect that's what the pressure relief valve is set to.

You might be able to override the relief valve and get a bit more out of it, but I have no idea how much of a safety margin has been built in.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballdave For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2022, 15:02   #4
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Do you have a compressor?
Old May 18th, 2022, 18:02   #5
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
I've seen a wide variety of creations for this in various youtube videos.
The obvious question is, why don't you try one of those then ?

It's a bit like saying there are lots of ways on line on how to trim a moustache, but I've got this perfectly usable pair of shears in the shed ?
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2022, 23:49   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I once (when I was much younger and much more foolish) made a device for pressure gunking engines by getting an old garden sprayer, drilling a hole in the side (can't remember what size) and screwing in a male PCL quick coupler so I could connect it to my compressor. I ran it at 80 psi and it worked fine, when I first pressurised it I did so with a long airline at a distance.

Usually there is a x2 factor of safety so a 30 psi sprayer should withstand 45 PSI.

To be clear - I'm not recommending this - just pointing out that I once did it and got away with it.... a compressed air vessel with say 7 litres volume can make a right old mess even at just 40 psi.

(This: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324109800...kAAOSw~yFiUEu-)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2022, 07:36   #7
dingov70
Master Member

hello there , why not simply use a fuel injection pump with a pressure regulator ?

Definitely enough pressure & pretty much designed for the job and if you capture used fluid , make sure you have a filter to remove any gunk washed off .
Old May 19th, 2022, 20:00   #8
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Default Offgrid injector testing

I have got a compressor, but it is a bit old, and powered by a Petter stationary engine. It seems to be a bit of an overkill to use that.
The object of the exercise is to do as much maintenance offgrid as possible. So injector testing and cleaning needs to be done in the woods, or on the beach. I bought a pulse tester, as this seems to be an inexpensive option, and I've got an AGM battery that I can use as a power source. I just needed something to push the cleaner through the injector as it pulses. I'm considering using diluted card cleaner as the agent. Is there any disadvantage in using this. I thought it might be better than my universal choice, which is diluted vinegar.
Offgrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2022, 20:18   #9
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Right so this is what id do then.
Fit the sprayer with a car tyre valve. Just drill a 10 mm hole and pull it through just like the tyre fitters do.
Start filling the sprayers vessel slowly with compressed air via a tyre inflator(the type yout Ats,Kwik fit type places use.
You can monitor the pressure in the vessel and see at what Psi the blow off valve triggers if there is one fitted.
Old May 20th, 2022, 05:17   #10
Whyman
Premier Member

It also depends on how old/ how good the sprayer is.

I recently had an incident with my old plastic one where as I pumped it up before the safety pressure valve had even started to move a small piece of the sidewall blew out!

Time for a new one.