Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 automatic transmission fluid renewal

Views : 648

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2022, 18:59   #1
nedqlkow

Default S60 automatic transmission fluid renewal

Hello good people, a new Volvo enthusiast here,
long story short i've bought a Volvo S60, manufactured in 2004, with 5 speed automatic gearbox(AISIN AF33) and 2.4 petrol engine about almost a year ago.The previous owner last serviced the automatic transmission by flushing with 12 liters of ATF in 2019, more than 3 years ago, but only 20,000 kilometers have been covered since then, so I'm still well below the interval recommended by the service is estimated at 60,000. However, I have found information in many places that it is advisable, if the recommended 60,000 kilometers in question are not covered within 3 years, to change the oil anyway.
Therefore, I decided to change the oil according to the method shown in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRrhRV1vg-Y, so I asked the previous owner what oil was used in the last service and he replied that the product ATF Multivehichle from the manufacturer Valvoline was used. The oil in question complies with the JWS-3309 specification recommended for this gearbox.
The condition of the oil that is currently in the car is as follows:

https://ibb.co/XpTpLG2

However, before I take action, I want to ask a few questions to reassure myself:
1. When refreshing the oil (draining the contents of the crankcase and pouring the same contents through the rod), can I choose another oil that meets the same specification - JWS-3309 or is it not good to mix oils from different manufacturers?

2. Do you think, given the photo above and the fact that this oil has traveled only 20,000 kilometers, that I need to change it? Is the information true that after 3 years of pouring it is good to refresh or since I have no problems, I do not need to create such?

I will be extremely grateful to everyone who got involved in the topic.
nedqlkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2022, 23:11   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

sump dump aprox 3 ltrs and re fill with fresh 3309 bring up to temp and run thro the gear positions waiting 20 sec in each gear check fluid level and top up to suit marks on dipstick job done.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2022, 13:21   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

24mm wrench for the drain plug.
If you're using ramps, make the left one higher to allow closer to 4l to drain. This is good as you have to buy 4l of fluid anyway.

When you buy the fluid don't be surprised if the brand the previous owner used is unavailable. The Valvoline product I've used gallons of in 5 of these transmissions has a confusing name. It's MaxLife Dex/Merc LV. It's the LV designation which makes it different (3309). Other plain Dex/Merc fluids are old fashioned and not to be used.

After years of maintaining the family's transmissions I ran out of stock. My 2007 had fluid as clean as yours and when my next drain and fill came around I splurged and treated my car to real Volvo fluid. 4 liters (quarts over here) purchased online wasn't too expensive.

I must warn you about the long, tapered funnels. They frequently don't fit. I recommend a regular funnel with clear plastic tubing fit to it. You can see how long you need it to be. In the case of my V70 the tubing isn't 30cm long.

What country are you in? How's fluid availability generally?

Last edited by Georgeandkira; May 18th, 2022 at 14:07.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2022, 19:07   #4
nedqlkow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
24mm wrench for the drain plug.
If you're using ramps, make the left one higher to allow closer to 4l to drain. This is good as you have to buy 4l of fluid anyway.

When you buy the fluid don't be surprised if the brand the previous owner used is unavailable. The Valvoline product I've used gallons of in 5 of these transmissions has a confusing name. It's MaxLife Dex/Merc LV. It's the LV designation which makes it different (3309). Other plain Dex/Merc fluids are old fashioned and not to be used.

After years of maintaining the family's transmissions I ran out of stock. My 2007 had fluid as clean as yours and when my next drain and fill came around I splurged and treated my car to real Volvo fluid. 4 liters (quarts over here) purchased online wasn't too expensive.

I must warn you about the long, tapered funnels. They frequently don't fit. I recommend a regular funnel with clear plastic tubing fit to it. You can see how long you need it to be. In the case of my V70 the tubing isn't 30cm long.

What country are you in? How's fluid availability generally?
Thanks for the comprehensive comment.
In the service book of my car it is written that the oil used in the change in 2019 is ATF Multi Vehicle, and from the previous owner I learned that the brand is Valvoline.
In no case do I want to use the same brand again, on the contrary, I prefer to use the original Volvo product.
For this reason, I wanted to ask if, if the oil I pour meets the 3309 specification, I have to worry that the manufacturer is different or since the specification is the same, no problem?

Otherwise, I have already got everything I need for the refresh in question, the only thing that worries me is the above. Do I need to look for exactly the same oil from the same manufacturer or can I easily pour oil with the same specification from another manufacturer?

I live in Bulgaria, I have access to a number of oils with specification JWS-3309 - Castrol, Mobil, Valvoline, Original Volvo oil etc.
nedqlkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2022, 13:25   #5
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

They'll all mix. That isn't a concern. Any 3309 spec fluid will do. You can add Toyota T-IV to the list of 3309 spec fluids.

I read a lot of posts on an oil board and people will say that the Volvo formula differs slightly. With two V70's and three Saabs with this very transmission I can tell you with some confidence that any slight differences in labeled 3309's are just that. After so much transmission cleansing -and I can tell you based on the filth I've drained from these units that they do indeed need service. People repeating the lie of "lifetime fluid" is troubling- I've noticed no difference in the aftermarket fluids I've used.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote