Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

‘97 T5 - New owner, a few questions!

Views : 628

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2022, 13:25   #1
suttsV70

Default ‘97 T5 - New owner, a few questions!

Hello all,

I recently acquired a 117,000 mile 1997 T5 auto. It’s my first Volvo, although I used to drive Phase 2 T5 manuals at work back in the mid 2000’s and remember them with a lot of affection.

It drives well, and I’m working my way through a few issues that I knew about when I bought it. The first was to replace the driver’s side window switch pack with a good second hand one, which gave me back the ability to operate the front passenger window!

I’m now looking at the reasons why the fuel filler flap and boot release is not working from inside the car. At present the fuel flap is insecure and the small triangular plastic part that should secure it to the body is broken off (I have a new one ready to fit in due course). It may be that it was broken off deliberately when the switch release mechanism failed in order to gain access? When I operate the fuel flap release and the boot release switch in the door panel there is no sound of any relays or solenoid operating at all and nothing happens with either mechanism.

Having done some searching on here, I was hoping the replacement window switch pack would have resolved the issue, but nothing doing. It sounds like it’s most likely to be the wiring - where is this most likely to be found in the boot? I haven’t tested anything electrical, and will most likely book in with a local auto electrician.

My other issue that need addressing sooner rather than later is to replace the PCV system. I have the classic smoking dipstick, and suspect it has never been done. The number of threads on here going back a long way are helpful but almost overwhelming in their number, so I guess what would be useful to know is where people are buying quality replacement PCV kits from these days please?

Thanks in advance, this forum looks like a goldmine of information!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF4B15FB-2064-42CB-AE5C-800268CBB091.jpg (170.4 KB, 25 views)
suttsV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 13:49   #2
Moomoo
VOC Member

I had a nsf window malfunction on my 99, V70, turned out to be a wire where it goes through the bulkhead..
Put a piece right through, in from behind the dash, took the glove box inner, out.
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 13:58   #3
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Hi, welcome to the forum.

The first thing I will say, is that there is a chap called Robert who has a YouTube channel - he has pretty much undertaken and fully described every repair you could imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RobertDIY/search?query=850

I've used the 850 model in the search as your V70 will be the 'pre-ME7' version of the car - it will have a cable operated throttle body, not the later electronic one. Your car is pretty much a cosmetic makeover of the 850, so most of the 850 info will apply to your car.

Regarding brands for the PCV... the oil separator box doesn't need to be OEM - PartsForVolvo do a copy which is fine. You could even just check the one you have, maybe clean it with degreaser or carb cleaner etc and re-use. I'd say the only OEM parts you shouldn't scrimp on are -

* The hose from the separator box to the cylinderhead - it connects near the oil filler;
* The small hose that connects the separator to the engine block;

I've found aftermarket equivalent hoses either don't fit as well, or split within a year or two.

If you're keeping it (PCV) standard, then I can say that I've only used the OEM long hoses - they lasted 20 years, so they must be ok right? Expensive yes, but they can be considered almost fit and forget if your engine is in good condition.

You could consider doing a PCV upgrade using a 3/8 hose as described here - https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=53448 Recommended for high mileage cars, or on engines that are worn and have a bit of cylinder blowby. I did it on an S70 T5, but tbh getting the larger hose to sit comfortably under the intake manifold without kinking was a real test of patience - nowadays I'd use come copper pipe instead

Re the fuel filler flap issue, take a look at this, it describes the components nicely https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvUht8nz8jw It applies to both saloons and estates - you will also have this lovely wire pull release cable, its hidden behind the rear lamp/bulb access panel

Hope this helps

BTW, I'd also suggest an autobox fluid replacement - its rarely done by garages but should probably be considered every 60k miles or so to protect the transmission. (This will generate a debate as there are reports of this 'killing' transmissions - its not true, but fresh fluid can highlight a badly worn clutchpack in an autobox). Fluid will be Dexron III in your car.

Last edited by RollingThunder; Mar 24th, 2022 at 14:01.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 14:33   #4
CosmicBike

In a similar place to me a few months back. Robert's youtube is a fantastic resource and I use it weekly and always look there before doing anything to mine.
PCV, I went all genuine, expensive but at every 100k miles good value, and not something you want to do too often.
Echo the gearbox oil comment. The AW50-42 is one of the better ones, but doing a progressive oil change 2 litres at a time is well worthwhile (and still on my 'to do' list). There is lots of info one here about it, including adding additional cooling and inline filters if you want to.
2007 Ford Galaxy (dog lugger)
Previous XC90 x 2, V70 x 2
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 16:36   #5
suttsV70

Smile

Thank you all, and for the welcome. Yes I’ve seen a few of Roberts DIY videos and they do look very helpful!

I agree on the gearbox oil change and will plan this in with the PCV work. I’ve had a fairly firm pull on the yellow gearbox dipstick to check the colour/state of the oil but it doesn’t wish to come out at the moment…am I just not using enough force?!

So with PCV hoses, I’m all for OEM so would you order from a Volvo dealer or is there some else in the UK that would stock OEM PCV parts?

I’m assuming that as the bootlid release is also not working from inside the car (central locking is fine) that it will most likely be wiring causing the fuel flap release problem. I have had a look behind the lower bulb cluster panel but there isn’t a release wire that I can see (pic). How difficult is it to remove the remainder of the off side carpeted side panel? Presumably need to remove most of that side’s plastic trim above it and maybe the vertical one next to the boot lid?

The temptation to fit the new plastic catch is strong, but I realise I will likely just lock the fuel flap shut if I do!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7C6041F9-9111-42D9-A46F-9D629AD312EA.jpg (291.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg AE50E079-07E5-44F0-9056-B7CE0962D08E.jpg (161.6 KB, 20 views)
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 13:53   #6
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I'll take a look at my car tomorrow and will get a pic of where my pull cable is located. IIRC its just inside the carpet - if you feel around you should quickly find it.

Re parts sources, for OEM parts I usually go to FRF Volvo in Swansea - they're very used to dealing with customers running 'classic' (pre 2000) Volvos and are happy to spend the time sourcing the parts that other dealers just say are no longer available (an example being the Nivomat dampers - most dealers say NLA, but FRF got me a pair inside 2 weeks - ordered direct from Volvo's heritage parts dept in Sweden). Quote discount code C3 to get their special forum discount rate - you get some bargains using this - for example get a quote for brake discs & pads before buying aftermarket

I have also used Caffryns for OEM parts - they sometimes offer a competitive price on most service item parts, but FRF prices are usually slightly less.

HTH
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 15:16   #7
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Here we go - this is the release pull in my '96 850 estate. Excuse the grubby carpet, its going to get removed and scrubbed clean this summer!

Looking at your pic, there are some scratches in that area - I wonder if a previous owner had some issues with the flap and removed it (the release pull) at some point? Still worth checking behind that carpet though to see what is there.
Old May 16th, 2022, 03:14   #8
suttsV70

By way of an update, I sourced a full PCV kit from FRF and transmission fluid from Opie Oils and the car goes in to a garage tomorrow to have these replaced.

A couple of weeks ago I also had an auto electrician round to investigate the fuel flap and boot locking issue. What I hadn’t originally realised was that the tailgate wasn’t locking at all when I locked the car using the fob, although I had found out by the time he came round.

The cabin switch was tested and working fine, and I suspected wiring to be the issue for both problems. After extensive testing the electrician declared the wiring to the tailgate to be ok, and the lock/catch unit itself to be kaput. He believes the fuel flap problem is a broken wire (probably in the driver’s door) as he was able to activate the solenoid for it ok by plugging into the OBD port.

With a deep breath I therefore ordered a new boot catch/lock unit from FRF and got round to fitting it today using the trusty Haynes manual as a guide. I’m pleased to say that I now have a boot that locks and unlocks as it should!

As a bonus I renewed all the trim clips (it had already had a repair kit fitted but with some clips missing or broken) and added some polyester wadding behind it when refitting the tailgate trim. Happily this has resolved an irritating creaky rattle from the trim panel.
The Following User Says Thank You to suttsV70 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2022, 03:16   #9
suttsV70

The offending catch unit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43C7F1BA-9832-401C-BE8B-4AAD9FCF40D7.jpg (108.8 KB, 6 views)
Old May 16th, 2022, 03:22   #10
suttsV70

Unfortunately what I do really need now is a better (less broken) tailgate inner handle surround. If anyone has one going spare for sale I would be very interested as they seem to be NLA. Any colour would do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15CEAC1E-B92F-4A6B-B3BC-A9DC3BADD938.jpg (90.1 KB, 10 views)