Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reversing - brakes stuck?

Views : 4897

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2011, 09:25   #11
GJB
Premier Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Why are there so many problems with the parking brake? Mercedes have used the same set up for as long as I can remember and I have never heard of complaints.

Is it lack of use?
Yes it is a case of use it or lose it.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 11:09   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Why are there so many problems with the parking brake? Mercedes have used the same set up for as long as I can remember and I have never heard of complaints.

Is it lack of use?
volvo invented this system back in 1967 and have used it ever since and it has been trouble free for about 40 years until recent times , only things which have changed are shoe quality and disc/drum quality . you didnt see rusty discs/drums 30 years ago , you do now , chinese recycled steel?
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 11:47   #13
undercoverxc90

Smile MOT passed...

Hi guys

Thanks for your advice.

The handbrake didn't stick this morning - I also tested the handbrake at slow speed on the way to the garage and it seemed pretty poor, so fully expecting a fail - yet it passed with no advisories so very chuffed.

I had a couple of backup plans - one was a quote for new shoes and springs ( I think the discs are okay as Volvo only just recently advised on pads only) from FRF and I also called my nearest Volvo dealership last night who advised that it was probably the wet conditions that caused the shoe surface react and to stick on and they see a lot of it.

My plan is to live with it until the discs need doing and give it a go myself. If it keeps sticking I may have to bring the replacement forward.

Re the use it or lose it comment - that may be the problem - the previous owner used to go about 3 or 4 clicks and I tend to be be more heavy handed as I had previous problems when under using the parking brake on my previous car (Chrysler Grand Voyager - they are notorious for seizing ) - perhaps the change in behaviour has made the issue more prominent.

Best regards

Mike

Last edited by undercoverxc90; Aug 26th, 2011 at 11:50.
undercoverxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2022, 11:45   #14
charles rudge

I have v70 2005. I had this problem . When in reverse the car seem to lock. Only by driving it forward and then reversing did the lock release itself .This lock was down to the brake shoes binding on the discs. So to cut a long story short the damage caused meant the whole lot shoes, discs, brake cable replace for £700 . My advice is : get those shoes checked even if it means taking everything off took to do so. It will save a lot of money
charles rudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2022, 12:20   #15
Simmy
Premier Member

the original post is from 2011 this has been covered many times
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2022, 18:57   #16
cbv8

Has anyone ever thought it may be sticking caliper pins/pistons binding the pads in reverse because i suspect this is the problem on mine as i have temporarily removed the handbrake shoes and it still does it My next step is to replace both rear calipers the shoes and springs etc and fit manual adjusters there cannot be anything else to bind
cbv8 is offline   Reply With Quote