Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gearbox

Views : 728

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2022, 11:39   #1
jorgibear

Question Gearbox

Hi there,

I am owning a 2001 V40 estate and have to exchange the nearside driveshaft. After taking it out i noticed a recess on the otherwise round opening where the driveshaft fits in.
So i was wondering if anyone has a photo of a 2001 V40 estate gearbox with the nearside driveshaft removed?
I then could see if my gearbox looks 'NORMAL'
Every help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jorg
jorgibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2022, 15:26   #2
magnuz
Ancient

Which gearbox ? .. If it's a manual gearbox, it could either be a volvo gearbox, or a renault gearbox ? If it's a volvo gearbox, reverse will be over to the right below 5th gear, if it's a renault gearbox, reverse is over to the left next to 1st gear ?
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2022, 16:16   #3
jorgibear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuz View Post
Which gearbox ? .. If it's a manual gearbox, it could either be a volvo gearbox, or a renault gearbox ? If it's a volvo gearbox, reverse will be over to the right below 5th gear, if it's a renault gearbox, reverse is over to the left next to 1st gear ?
Hi,
It's a 5 speed manual and a renault gearbox.
Old May 7th, 2022, 18:20   #4
magnuz
Ancient

This type of renault gearbox, for some odd reason has a completely different driveshaft type on the left, to what it has on the right.
Here is a picture of the left side of the renault gearbox. (Ignore the damage to the tin cover, that was caused by UPS)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GB1.jpg (310.1 KB, 13 views)
Old May 7th, 2022, 18:33   #5
jorgibear

Red face

Quote:
This type of renault gearbox, for some odd reason has a completely different driveshaft type on the left, to what it has on the right.
Here is a picture of the left side of the renault gearbox. (Ignore the damage to the tin cover, that was caused by UPS)
Thanks for the picture my friend. Is that a JC5222 box? I blew it up a bit and it looks like it has a recess on the bottom right where the driveshaft fits in.
Mine has that recess on the right hand side.
So it looks like it is 'normal' to have a recess there ( maybe for oil circulation?)

Thanks a lot for your help - i will put in my new driveshaft tomorrow and, knock on wood, i can drive again!!

Last edited by jorgibear; May 7th, 2022 at 18:40.
Old May 7th, 2022, 18:53   #6
magnuz
Ancient

It's been a few years since I swapped my gearbox, so I can't remember the numbers on it. But my V40 is a 1.8, the gearbox in the picture is from a 1.6, as I couldn't find a 1.8 gearbox at the time, but it was a straight swap with no issues with fitment & parts compatibility. My original drive shaft from the 1.8 fits in to the 1.6 gearbox & is still ok several thousand miles on.
Old May 7th, 2022, 19:00   #7
jorgibear

Quote:
It's been a few years since I swapped my gearbox, so I can't remember the numbers on it. But my V40 is a 1.8, the gearbox in the picture is from a 1.6, as I couldn't find a 1.8 gearbox at the time, but it was a straight swap with no issues with fitment & parts compatibility. My original drive shaft from the 1.8 fits in to the 1.6 gearbox & is still ok several thousand miles on.
Ok, i hope it will work with my driveshaft as well.
Thanks again for your help.
Take care for now.
Kind regards, Jorg
Old May 8th, 2022, 11:28   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

That is just a bog standard tripod joint. It runs in the gearbox oil for lubrication and the rubber bellows on the drive shaft forms the oil seal.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
driveshaft, gearbox, repair