Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on Buying 1978 Volvo 245 DL

Views : 1469

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2022, 16:32   #11
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Somewhat careful positioning of shade and the choice of angles to exclude or mask the true horror. Some sellers just come straight out and show the worst bits, not this one.

Think the OPs tiny, grainy image was far more informative.
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2022, 19:00   #12
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

The 240 series going at 6.5k is absolutely not unheard off, and if you want the best then you will need to pay for it (as you seem willing to do).

However be under no illusions, for a standard line that is strong money and it is no where need a top presenting car.

If you came on here to say you had bought that car at £3,250 and detailed those areas of concern that would be considered a ‘good’ price. It would probably not be a ‘excellebt’ price however.

At £6,250 you will if patient find one that has been restored 10 years ago or is low owner and miles.

Regarding the cost it is so hard. Rules of thumbs are £300-500 per panel for minor repairs.

That is not minor repairs. If it were me I would hope to pay £1,000 to get the body and bolster sorted, but in reality I would not be suprised to see it hit £1,000 - £2,500 if there is rot you can’t see, and in reality there may be.

No reflection on the car at all, or the selling etc etc but I think if you are willing to wait you will get something that has had the repairs done.

The car may be worth that to someone absolutely because if you are competent with a lig welder and own a compressor that’s probably a sub £300 repair to make it look very very presentable and back to good condition (it seems to stand well) but when you are paying body shop prices and expect a warrenty it suddenly becomes very costly.

This is one for someone into body work that can but a lovely machone, drive from day 1 and then repair cheaply and easily. It’s not one to buy then pay body shops to do….

All in my opinion, I could be wrong!

Last edited by XC90Mk1; Apr 14th, 2022 at 19:05.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2022, 21:41   #13
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
The 240 series going at 6.5k is absolutely not unheard off, and if you want the best then you will need to pay for it (as you seem willing to do).

However be under no illusions, for a standard line that is strong money and it is no where need a top presenting car.

If you came on here to say you had bought that car at £3,250 and detailed those areas of concern that would be considered a ‘good’ price. It would probably not be a ‘excellebt’ price however.

At £6,250 you will if patient find one that has been restored 10 years ago or is low owner and miles.

Regarding the cost it is so hard. Rules of thumbs are £300-500 per panel for minor repairs.

That is not minor repairs. If it were me I would hope to pay £1,000 to get the body and bolster sorted, but in reality I would not be suprised to see it hit £1,000 - £2,500 if there is rot you can’t see, and in reality there may be.

No reflection on the car at all, or the selling etc etc but I think if you are willing to wait you will get something that has had the repairs done.

The car may be worth that to someone absolutely because if you are competent with a lig welder and own a compressor that’s probably a sub £300 repair to make it look very very presentable and back to good condition (it seems to stand well) but when you are paying body shop prices and expect a warrenty it suddenly becomes very costly.

This is one for someone into body work that can but a lovely machone, drive from day 1 and then repair cheaply and easily. It’s not one to buy then pay body shops to do….

All in my opinion, I could be wrong!
Wise words I think.

I have no axe to grind (I'm not interested in buying the motor car, I just happened to notice it and remembered the OP's story). Historic 200 series motor cars do sometimes sell for over £6,000, but they have to be vey good to make that money. This one isn't very good, but it is quite good - I'd have thought £5.000 to £5,500 would be a sensible price.

:-)
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 10:44   #14
morwenna240

I'd tend to agree with the above comments. Any seller who refers to a car as "she" arouses instant suspicion, in my book. However, there aren't many such cars in saveable condition about, an how long does one want to wait to find the "right" one? I do agree, 6.5 k is a bit much, but as said by others 5 would be ok. Go see, take knowledgeable, hard-hearted friend to poke about an 5k in-your-hand? Bundles of used fivers waved under noses can work wonders!
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post: