Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 740 has got the wrong engine

Views : 1302

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2022, 11:56   #1
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Default My 740 has got the wrong engine

I've just found out that the 740 I bought has got a replacement engine. Looking at the timing cover, it days it is a B230E. It seems that the previous owner blew up the original engine, and this was fitted as a replacement. He states that it is a 2.8 litre, but google says it is a 2.3 litre.. Although it is apparently an older engine, it seems to go well, and apart from some minor problems, I'm pleased with it. I still want to turn the vehicle into an offgrid weekend camper.

Now I have a problem with getting parts for it. The new engine hasn't been registered with the DVLA, and I guess I will have to do that. I also suspect that it may affect my insurance when I notify them. It looks as if the engine was installed in various models for a few years, and thus there may be a few variants, is this true?
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2022, 12:13   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid View Post
I've just found out that the 740 I bought has got a replacement engine. Looking at the timing cover, it days it is a B230E. It seems that the previous owner blew up the original engine, and this was fitted as a replacement. He states that it is a 2.8 litre, but google says it is a 2.3 litre.. Although it is apparently an older engine, it seems to go well, and apart from some minor problems, I'm pleased with it. I still want to turn the vehicle into an offgrid weekend camper.

Now I have a problem with getting parts for it. The new engine hasn't been registered with the DVLA, and I guess I will have to do that. I also suspect that it may affect my insurance when I notify them. It looks as if the engine was installed in various models for a few years, and thus there may be a few variants, is this true?
There seems to be some confusion here, 'Offgrid'. The 2.8 and the 2.3 are quite different engines and one is not a straight replacement for the other.

The 2.8 is a V6, fitted to the 760, and the 2.3 an inline 4. The B230 is definitely a 2.3 (2316cc), the 'E' indicating that it is a N/A fuel injected unit (ET would be a turbo and K a carburettor fed engine).

Hope this is helpful.

Regards, John.
Old May 13th, 2022, 12:44   #3
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:

Do you know what the original engine was ?
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2022, 12:55   #4
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

The seller thought it was a 2.8, but the engine looks as if John is correct. It's an inline 4.
According to the VIN the original engine was a B200E.
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2022, 13:03   #5
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
The seller thought it was a 2.8, but the engine looks as if John is correct. It's an inline 4.
According to the VIN the original engine was a B200E.
You basically have the same engine as the original but 2.3 instead of 2.0.

The only parts that differ are the block and pistons.

I'm not sure I'd want to get involved with DVLA to register the engine though
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2022, 13:45   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

I reckon that logging the replacement engine with DVLA should be quite straightforward. Details here.

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-de...idence-to-give

Looks like you'll need written confirmation from a garage. Probably best use one that is also registered as an MOT test station.

Your best course of action is almost certainly to register the change correctly with your insurance company and DVLA rather than to ignore the change.

If the press is to be believed DVLA is a bit chaotic at the moment because their staff continue to "work from home". Best take a copy of your current log book before surrendering it into the abyss.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2022, 14:15   #7
360beast
Go redblock or go home

As stated the 2.8 is a V6 so it definitely won't be a 2.8 if it has a redblock cover on it.

It will definitely push your insurance up having a non standard engine in it.

I had to write a letter to the DVLA on behalf of the owner of a 940 I converted from a 2.0 N/A to a 2.3 turbo stating the engine change from 1986cc to 2316cc and the reason why. I just said that the original engine was broken and so as part of the restoration a 2.3 turbo was sourced and fitted. New log book was sent out after a couple of months and they didn't inspect it or even reply to my letter, it was a very straight forward process.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:

Tags
b230e engine, offgrid camping, volvo 740