Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Radio problems

Views : 4071

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 18:26   #1
Aldo87

Default V50 Radio problems

Hello All!

I bought myself a 2004 2.0d V50 as a run around to carry the dog about. It has a few issues but wanted to get my hands dirty and have a go at fixing it up.

I'm going to try and make blogs of everything I do and I'll post them up.

Current problem I'm tackling is the radio. I've read a few posts with the same issue but they don't seem to have gotten to the bottom of the problem.

When I try to switch the radio on, I get the flash screen coming up on the ICM for a few seconds and then goes out. I can control the climate control ok, it only seems to be the audio system that doesn't work (or the rear parking sensors, read they could be linked somehow but not sure - has had a tow bar fitted which I don't think was done very well).

Anyway, I took the dash out and noticed that the MPM (CD player) above the ICM doesn't seem to be receiving the digital signal through the optical fibre. After a bit of digging I've discovered the whole system is linked with this fibre (ICM -> AFM -> AUD -> MPM -> ICM) more if you have more optional extras like GPS etc.

The AUD is getting the signals from the AFM but it doesn't seem to be sending anything out to the MPM (CD player). I've checked all the voltages going to the modules and they seem to be ok so that should rule the fuses out.

Does this issue ring any bells with anyone before I go out and buy a new AUD unit? I'm planning on taking the cover off to see if anything has blown. Also can't be sure the CD player is working as I have nothing to prove it with.

Thanks for reading! Hope you can help.
Aldo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2015, 18:48   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo87 View Post
Hello All!

I bought myself a 2004 2.0d V50 as a run around to carry the dog about. It has a few issues but wanted to get my hands dirty and have a go at fixing it up.

I'm going to try and make blogs of everything I do and I'll post them up.

Current problem I'm tackling is the radio. I've read a few posts with the same issue but they don't seem to have gotten to the bottom of the problem.

When I try to switch the radio on, I get the flash screen coming up on the ICM for a few seconds and then goes out. I can control the climate control ok, it only seems to be the audio system that doesn't work (or the rear parking sensors, read they could be linked somehow but not sure - has had a tow bar fitted which I don't think was done very well).

Anyway, I took the dash out and noticed that the MPM (CD player) above the ICM doesn't seem to be receiving the digital signal through the optical fibre. After a bit of digging I've discovered the whole system is linked with this fibre (ICM -> AFM -> AUD -> MPM -> ICM) more if you have more optional extras like GPS etc.

The AUD is getting the signals from the AFM but it doesn't seem to be sending anything out to the MPM (CD player). I've checked all the voltages going to the modules and they seem to be ok so that should rule the fuses out.

Does this issue ring any bells with anyone before I go out and buy a new AUD unit? I'm planning on taking the cover off to see if anything has blown. Also can't be sure the CD player is working as I have nothing to prove it with.

Thanks for reading! Hope you can help.
You really need professional diagnosis with this otherwise you may end up spending £300+ on a module and still have the problem , each module needs software to match the new unit to the car .
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 20:05   #3
Aldo87

Had a play today and made a bit of progress.

I took the amp (AUD) out and used an audio fiber optic cable to send the signal to the cd player (by-passing the amp). When trying to line the cable up I heard the cd player cycling through for the first time and also the flashing from the ICM turned solid. I'm going to get an amp off ebay and see if my 'plan' has worked. Watch this space
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 15:14   #4
Aldo87

Got a step closer to solving this. Got an amp from a breakers, they did warn me I would need software to match it to the car but I got one anyway with part numbers which matched my old one (gave it half a chance to work).

Plugged it in and it worked! for about 10 seconds before the car switched it off but just need to the software update and I'm good to go.
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 19:19   #5
Aldo87

Default Solved

After a bit if persuasion with Volsaa in derby I managed to get them to have a go at coding the amplifier in.

They got the software required from Volvo (~£15) once they gave them the number I was given with the amp from the breakers in nottingham, Volvo gave Volsaa the software (as well as telling them it wasn't going to work). What this security software does is disable the MOST system on the amp so the car can't switch it off.

Once it was put on the amp, the radio now stays on and the rear parking sensors now work.

Big thanks to Volsaa and Mark at Volvo and Saab breakers in nottingham.

Amp cost me £60, bill for coding £65 total £125. Wouldn't like to think how much Volvo would have cost to diagnose and fix the problem but I think I deserve a pint .

If anyone has the same issue and want some help just get in touch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aldo87 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 11:51   #6
ANDY WILD

Default V50 Radio Problem

Hi, I have exactly the same problem so any help would be appreciated
ANDY WILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 18:49   #7
prot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDY WILD View Post
Hi, I have exactly the same problem so any help would be appreciated
I had the same issue, cleaning the CEM contacts and connectors with contact cleaner solver the issue for me.
prot is offline   Reply With Quote