Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 D5 mpg

Views : 4088

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2011, 19:12   #1
iantowil

Default C70 D5 mpg

Hello All
just got a 2008 C70 D5. The fuel consumption seems a bit on the thirsty side. On general non-motorway driving I'm getting about 35mpg, but that is taking it very, very easy. Haven't done a long motorway journey yet so not sure how it will improve on a good run. Just wondering what other people are getting out of their D5 C70s - trying to work out whether there is any problems while it is still under warranty.
Hope you can help.
Cheers
Ian
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 22:05   #2
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantowil View Post
Hello All
just got a 2008 C70 D5. The fuel consumption seems a bit on the thirsty side. On general non-motorway driving I'm getting about 35mpg, but that is taking it very, very easy. Haven't done a long motorway journey yet so not sure how it will improve on a good run. Just wondering what other people are getting out of their D5 C70s - trying to work out whether there is any problems while it is still under warranty.
Hope you can help.
Cheers
Ian
Doesn't sound too - get it on the Mway at 70, reset the trip computer and run it for 30 mins on the Cruise to see what you're getting, that will give you a much better idea of the economy relative to others!

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 13:10   #3
ads001

I have a C70 D5 Auto and get just over 38 (thats calculated from full tank to full tank) That's doing a 45 mile commute over mixed roads and up to around 85 MPH on the motorway.
ads001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 22:21   #4
adebendanchris

Although I have the smaller 2.0 lite diesel my fuel enconomy is not much better. Most I can seem to get is about 38mpg and that's on a long motorway run. There are lots of threads though from S40 / V50 drivers bemoaning the fuel economy of the newer diesel engines. It's a real disappointment as my old S60 D5 used to do well nearly 50mpg on a long run. I'd be interested to see how other diesel c70 owners are getting on. I appreciate it's a heavy car with the folding roof but I'm almost wishing I'd bought a T5!
adebendanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 20:27   #5
KevinH

I get 35 - 38 mpg in mine.
That's a combination of town driving, stop / start around the M25 and some constant driving on the M4.

The average mpg was 45 mpg when I picked it up but after reseting it I've never been able to achieve that for myself.

Having the roof down on the motorway does not seem to make much difference surprisingly...
... apart from putting a big grin on my face
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 02:17   #6
iantowil

Red face mpg update

Thanks for the replies gents. Night before last I did a bit of a motorway run rather than the normal commute - kept it at 60mph and got around the 52mpg mark, but it seems any deviation such as hills, non-motorway or the like has a relatively big impact. I guess with it being a relatively big engine, even ticking over or just above, it requires abit of juice. Maybe this is where the extra fuel economy on the engine remaps kick in - it would seem there is room for fuel useage optimisation at the low end of the rev range, so maybe this is where the 5-10% better mpg that usually gets quoted comes from. What do you guys think?
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 07:11   #7
Thassos
GoldMember

Arrow This might give you some further info

Hi Ianto,

Not sure if youve seen this thread, might give better feel for what mpg to expect, possible things to check into that might affect mpg:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=100951

EGR cleaning
Tyre pressures
Air filter / Fuel filter

What sort of mileage has yours done?
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 09:06   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adebendanchris View Post
Although I have the smaller 2.0 lite diesel my fuel enconomy is not much better. Most I can seem to get is about 38mpg and that's on a long motorway run. There are lots of threads though from S40 / V50 drivers bemoaning the fuel economy of the newer diesel engines. It's a real disappointment as my old S60 D5 used to do well nearly 50mpg on a long run. I'd be interested to see how other diesel c70 owners are getting on. I appreciate it's a heavy car with the folding roof but I'm almost wishing I'd bought a T5!
yes the C70 weighs about the same as a V70 ! you dont seem to benefit with fuel consumptiuon with a 2.0 D so may as well go for a D5 .
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 02:18   #9
iantowil

Hi Thassos
the car has done 35k with a full service history, but I'm gonna check the air filter, tyres etc - front tyres need changing and all need a balance check (See other thread on vibration).

What do you guys think of K&N air filters on the D5 - worth doing?

A friend of mine has Mercedes 270CDi - put a K&N on it and hated it - generally abit louder with a bit of air intake "howl" when at low revs. It lasted a week before he went back to standard.

Have to say I do like the diesel engine - as soon as its above 1500rpm the torque available is excellent. We have quite a few decent hills where I live and the torque makes them a breeze - interesting contrast to the Ford 2.8 and 2.5 V6 petrol engines I've been used to for the last 20 years - they weren't as torquey after 1500rpm but far more progressive with revs. I'm finding 400nm at 2000rpm a bit of a laugh - not that I use it much.
Cheers
Ian
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 09:02   #10
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile D5 thoughts

Hi Ian,

At 35k the fuel filter should just have been changed i think, I used to have an S40 that was religiously serviced by a dealer, first time i thought ill check the air cleaner was at about 60K miles, took the lid off the air cleaner box and to my surprise there was a nice dirty filter with the datecode of the original mfg year of the car ! so i think it always pays to check whats actually been changed !

The D5 torque is superb, as you say 400nM on the 185 engine and i think this is what really makes it work so well with the size/weight of the car and also makes it very easy to drive up hills !

The type of road your driving on makes a massive difference to MPG, i was getting around 52-54mpg showing on a recent motorway trip, crawling along traffic doesnt seem to hurt this figure much either. Short journeys and lots of stop-start driving/hills will get you back down around 35-38mpg ive found.

Personally dont think i would bother with K&N, i always try to stick with original parts, as on some things there are subtle differences that come into play, i would say more important to make sure the service items are actually replaced at or before their needed. I hear the air box on the D5 has some issues, Link to it below..

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=117743

Last edited by Thassos; Mar 6th, 2011 at 09:36. Reason: Link - Added..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote