Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Resurrection

Views : 874

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2011, 08:29   #1
Dylan144GT

Wink Resurrection

Hi Everybody

I had a Volvo weekend this weekend and it has totally reinspired me! My car was running really badly, it was really dirty, the front suspension creeks. Just not what you call an enjoyable experience. Been collecting suspension parts over the last 2 year! Just feels like nothing is getting anywhere! So I took the decision ... either get reinspired or move on and find another car that does inspire. You'll be glad to hear that I renewed my love affair with Andrea (My 144 for those who don't know her name)! That is where this weekend came in.

So as mentioned, the engine was misfiring and also just generally down on power. Not only that it was leaking oil all over the place. I removed most of the ancillaries off the block, cleaned the block up and made new gaskets. Then fitted the gaskets with some gasket sealer. Haven't checked yet but hopefully that has sorted things out.

I then addressed the misfire and stripped the carb. There was a decent amount of crap in there so got rid of it and put it all back together. Then set the valve clearance. Found a nice setting for the dizzy by revving the engine up and letting it fall back to idle. Did this until the engine returned to idle with out being lumpy. Seemed to work quite nicely, will use and refine this method in the future as I almost see a strobo light pointless on a classic (or atleast a relatively tired engine).

Results: So much more responsive! More power! No misses! = Happy camper!

Only gripe is that I fitted a new exhaust down pipe gasket and its leaking. Its a stupid aluminium one that I had about and thought I'd try. So barring that, a pretty successful Volvo weekend! Finished the weekend by washing Andrea so she is a beautiful again!

I have about 90% of the parts for the front suspension rebuild so that will probably be the next insert here. Can't wait for that one because that will really transform things!

In the words of Dory from Finding Nemo ... Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!

Regards from Sunny South Africa. (Don't be jealous now)

Dylan

Last edited by Dylan144GT; Jan 31st, 2011 at 09:25.
Dylan144GT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dylan144GT For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:32   #2
zetor160

ahhh..lucky South Africans still able to run around every day in old 144's..
Dry weather..plenty of sunshine..and most of all..no salt on the roads in winter, meaning no rotten 144!
Enjoy your 144 - glad you're getting it sorted..!
zetor160 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zetor160 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 11:00   #3
Dylan144GT

Thanks Zetor160. Yeah, we do have a few advantages here! Classic races this weekend where a few of you Soggy Islanders come to Cape Town as part of the historic racing series. This includes David Piper and whatever he feels like bringing along with him. Am quite excited, haven't been in about 2 years!

Does anyone have a Volvo 140 Factory Workshop Manual in PDF format for me please? Dare I ask for the Haynes one too? I have a new toy in the form of an iPod Touch and found that its alot easier to keep clean when paging with greasy fingers! My Haynes can attest to being used though!

Dylan
The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan144GT For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 18:11   #4
john h
VOC Member

Hi Dylan

Nice update, and I'm glad you're re-inspired!!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 18:50   #5
john h
VOC Member

Talking

Oh yeah, and how is Rose, aka Deep Purple?

Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 05:22   #6
Dylan144GT

Wink

Hi John

Rose is doing well, she is the complete opposite of Andrea. Its like having twins where one is the absolute angel child and the other complete the rebel. Andrea is definitely the rebel. Everybody loves the rebel a rebel though.

Rose benefited from a panel K&N filter that fits into the original air box so she has been bearing her teeth a little more lately! Idle is a little lumpy, a bit of tuning needed there is all.

Dylan
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:26   #7
john h
VOC Member

Haha, excellent!

Give Rose a double front anti-roll bar - transforms the handling. And send her my regards!

John

Old Feb 7th, 2011, 11:30   #8
Dylan144GT

Wink

Hey Everybody

This weekends installment was fueled by the classic car racing event at Killarney.

The water pump has been making funny noises for a while now, in actual fact since I put the B18 in. I swopped it out on Saturday night along with new exhaust manifold and flange gaskets. Refined the valve clearances some more more and she is going like a dream! Just a pity I found a motherless crack on the intake side of the manifold and then a smaller one one the exhaust side.

I think this is due to the water pump and the thermostat which I found to be faulty. So I recon I am going back to twin carbs soon as I have two of the cast iron manifolds and an aluminium intake manifold. Should be fun. Just need a rebuild kit for the carbs.

Will post pics of the weekends racing tonight too.

Dylan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dylan144GT For This Useful Post: