Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rain Sensors and replacement windscreen

Views : 7015

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2013, 16:20   #1
Colger23

Default Rain Sensors and replacement windscreen

This is my first post on this forum - I have recently purchased an XC90 and have to say its a great vehicle - need it to tow my twin axle Conqueror 645.

When I purchased the car I noticed the windscreen had been attacked by a stone - the garage said they would have it repaired. Unfortunately it was irrepairable and a new windscreen was fitted, manufactured by Nordglass. Now the problems began !! The rain sensor didn't work as it did before the replacement. Garage decided to fit another Rain Sensor - this didn't work at all !!!!! so believing they had fitted a faulty sensor another was ordered and duly fitted. It worked but not as it should. We are now several weeks into ownership as each time the sensor was replaced I had to wait for rain in order to test !!!!! By this time I am fed up and also spent many hours on the ''net' investigating.

I suggested to the garage that a genuine Volvo Windscreen was required. This was fitted and all appears to be well. I should also say it was a Volvo dealership which was involved.

It must have cost the garage more than double the cost of the Volvo windscreen taking into account time investigating, fitting third party windscreen, the sensors and time spent collecting and returning the car to me on two occasions. I notice another thread suggesting that Volvo headlight bulbs last longer than non-volvo bulbs !!! Something to bear in mind when ordering replacement items.

This most probably applies to other models but just goes to prove that not all windscreens are suitable if there are sensors fitted.
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 21:46   #2
AndySaxton

This may sound cheeky, but it's not meant to be...

Could you not test by getting the hose pipe and spraying onto the windscreen whilst the engines running?!
AndySaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndySaxton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 22:02   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colger23 View Post
This is my first post on this forum - I have recently purchased an XC90 and have to say its a great vehicle - need it to tow my twin axle Conqueror 645.

When I purchased the car I noticed the windscreen had been attacked by a stone - the garage said they would have it repaired. Unfortunately it was irrepairable and a new windscreen was fitted, manufactured by Nordglass. Now the problems began !! The rain sensor didn't work as it did before the replacement. Garage decided to fit another Rain Sensor - this didn't work at all !!!!! so believing they had fitted a faulty sensor another was ordered and duly fitted. It worked but not as it should. We are now several weeks into ownership as each time the sensor was replaced I had to wait for rain in order to test !!!!! By this time I am fed up and also spent many hours on the ''net' investigating.

I suggested to the garage that a genuine Volvo Windscreen was required. This was fitted and all appears to be well. I should also say it was a Volvo dealership which was involved.

It must have cost the garage more than double the cost of the Volvo windscreen taking into account time investigating, fitting third party windscreen, the sensors and time spent collecting and returning the car to me on two occasions. I notice another thread suggesting that Volvo headlight bulbs last longer than non-volvo bulbs !!! Something to bear in mind when ordering replacement items.

This most probably applies to other models but just goes to prove that not all windscreens are suitable if there are sensors fitted.
Or if there are no sensors , the volvo screen is the only one proved in their crash tests ..
Old Nov 28th, 2013, 10:16   #4
gmonag
Premier Member

There are two versions of rain sensor - depends on which type of windscreen is fitted. There are standard screens and IR Reduction coated screens. If the wrong type of sensor is fitted the auto wipe will not work, as I discovered when I bought my second-hand MY2005 Exec.
The Exec is factory-fitted with IR Reduction and the corresponding sensor. The previous owner had fitted a standard replacement screen (non IR), so the auto wipe was not working. I replaced the sensor with the correct type for an Exec not knowing the difference at the time but, of course it still did not work. After I twigged, I replaced the windscreen with the correct spec (it was hit by a stone and cracked fortunately) and everything worked as it should.

Greg

Last edited by gmonag; Nov 28th, 2013 at 10:19.
gmonag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmonag For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2013, 14:13   #5
Colger23

Thanks for the responses

To AndySaxton - it is possible to test using a hose, watering can or even a fine spray but it is not representative of driving conditions.

To Clan - an interesting point you have brought up - this must apply to all makes of vehicle but a very valid point.

To gmonag - I was aware of the different type of screen but the sensors fitted had the same part No. as the original and the first windscreen fitted was deemed to be equivalent to the manufacturers equivalent
Old Nov 28th, 2013, 21:34   #6
NCS XC90

Guys,
I work in the glass manufacturing industy, but not directly linked to the automotive devision. Rain sensors are very sensitive to the glass colour (as well as any IR coating applied - not sure I've seen an XC90 with a coating but cannot say I pay that much attention). Its possible that the Nordglass screen was using a slightly difference glass colour. I can remeber a slight change to the specifciation of the green we made around 10 years back which was associated with rain sensor operation.
Glad to see it worked out. Who's screen is now fitted?
Neil
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2013, 10:25   #7
Colger23

The Volvo windscreen fitted was manufactured by Pilkington
Old Nov 30th, 2013, 14:59   #8
NCS XC90

Great company
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2013, 15:50   #9
krzemien

Front windscreen in my V70 ultimately has been replaced by AutoGlass as the attempted stone chip repair work went horribly wrong after a week or so.

I do not know the glass manufacturer, neither remember the name, however putting aside lack of VOLVO logo in the corners, glass is fit for purpose, is new, shiny, glossy, unscratched and unchipped (had quite a few very minor ones). And most importantly: rain sensor works correctly.

If that helps: My windscreen was probably very standard one, no fancy coating and UV/IR protection.
krzemien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 16:27   #10
ijpears

Just had the same thing. Huge crack from a stone in France, auto windscreens replaced it with a Nordglass windscreen and now rain sensors fail 80% of the time.

But its ok, if I sort it out with a Volvo dealer they'll pay! Great - so I have to take the time to get it resolved!

One huge complaint winging its way to my insurers.
ijpears is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rain sensors, windscreen, xc90