Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RTI Disc Read error after battery disconnect

Views : 1513

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2012, 20:17   #1
paulj201
PJ

Unhappy RTI Disc Read error after battery disconnect

Hi all. I am stumped with this one and having read all the previous posts I need a bit of inspiration. Any help gratefully received as I am tearing my hair out (not that I have much left now...)

Car: V70 D5 SE 03 Plate:
System Summary: RTI Control Unit: 02: RTI EU

Background: Bought the car a few years ago from the neighbour and was chuffed to bits. When I first got it I also bought the upgrade to the RTI discs as the one in the car was 01 version. Put the new 05 disc for UK and Nordic region in and the system upgraded fine. A few years of happy driving (170k miles now on the clock)

What happened: Accidentally left the keys in the car with ignition switched on (senior moment) and found the battery flat the next morning. Swapped it with a spare I had and all was well ... except for the Sat Nav which started complaining with the usual Can not read disc error.

Cleaned the laser with the Volvo cleaning disc (supplied witht the 05 discs), but no joy. Tried lots of disc cleaning and still no joy. Eventually tried the 01 disc again and still not joy, but a day later it burst into life so I now had RTI with the old 01 disc in.

Tried 05 discs again and error recurred and repeated the above, but this time no joy.

Went in to the car Diagnostics menu and it reported the DVD was NG

After reading lots of posts I pulled the player apart and cleaned up anything that looked like cleaning up. It was pretty clean inside and the lens under a magnifying glass looked spotless too. Put it all back together, loaded the 01 disc and a couple of days later it burst into life again. Note that Diagnostics circuit check shows DVD OK for the 01 disc now.

Thought I would try once and for all to get the 05 disc to work again (BTW tried all 3 DVDs in the set just in case it was the DVD itself but all the same). Same read problem as before.

So if it is not the disc, appears not to be the motor, appears not to be the laser and the bios will run the 01 disc, what on earth can be causing the system not play the 05 disc?

If, after the battery was disconnected, the system reverted to a previous bios, surely it would update intself from the 05 discs as it did before?

Any advice greatly received as I had got used to the split screen feature and don't want another draped over the dashboard.

Advice greaty received and appreciated.

Last edited by paulj201; Apr 1st, 2012 at 20:53.
paulj201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 15:34   #2
paulj201
PJ

Default Further update

So it was working, but then realised I was wrong. The satnav now shows the map but when I finally needed to look up an address the screen froze saying "Please Wait" . I can hear the motor trying so guess it is the laser or the motor not spinning up the disc. Will try to cut another disc on Verbatim DVD+R DL discs using Imagebrn and see if that helps.
paulj201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disc error, rti, satnav