Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 TD in 240

Views : 955

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2004, 16:40   #1
Ben O Brien

Default 940 TD in 240

Hi all,
Ive asked this before but im after finding a 940TD 92' for parts and im seriously considering putting its engine and box in the 240,its coming for a good price(350 euro),
Im wondering would it fit,or would it require modification to fit,obviously no dizzy in the way but is there anything else i should check,would it fit the 240 engine mounts or would i have to fabricate mounts,
Also could someone with a 940 TD tell me what side the exhaust goes down,i.e left or right as you look at the engine from the front of the car,
Thanks in advance.

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:06   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 940 TD in 240

As there were 240 diesel models it should go in like a piece of cake. You may need to fit diesel type engine mounts but they all fit in the same position.

The downpipe is on the driver's side of the engine (RHD), same as for the petrol engines normally found in a 240.

You might find it awkward with the turbo as the 240 diesels did not have a turbo. It may be a case of moving some components to the other side of the engine bay. Has the 940TD got an intercooler? IF so you may need to have one fabricated for the 240. I would think that the 440/460/480 Turbo one might fit without too much trouble.

If you ned an intercooler made up I can reccomend a very good fabricator who will make one in aluminium and supply the hosing.

The power differences are : diesel only about 80 bhp; Turbo diesel has 109 bhp and with an intercooler it has 122 bhp. It can also be tuned to about 165 bhp with very little trouble, even though it is mechanically fuelled. You will not need an electrical fuel pump but would need to flush the fuel tank before filling it with diesel and you may need a return line if the 240 does not have one.

You may need to use a different propshaft to get the length right. I am assuming that the 940 has a ZF gearbox and not a manual one.

Please keep in touch with the progress of your project.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 18:00   #3
Ben O Brien

Cheers Peter
Im assuming its a TD not an intercooled one but i havent seen it yet,
I forgot to ask what box but whatever is attached to the diesel engine is staying on ive had enough of auto to manual conversions.
165bhp,what kind of mods need doing for this,are they expensive?
The engine mounts and exhaust system are my biggest worries and they seem to be ok, the other option is a 2.8 nissan engine but that is a bit tricky as mounts etc have to be made,
Im going to see if i can get a look at this car at the weekend and sus it out,
Am i going to have trouble with insurance or will i get it quoted as a 240 2.4TD with original 240 diesel engine,
If it isnt a complete ball of crap ill buy it,are these engines easy to work on,well similar to redblocks that is as i may well rebuild it if it needs it,

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 01:36   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Hopefully their may well be plenty of life in the old girl still. These engines when looked after can notch up 1,000,000 miles with only minor attention. When you look at the car take a tape measure and carefully measure all the points you are unsure about. This will set your mind at rest. I would be happy to take out the engine and gearbox as one lump (although pretty heavy) and slot it in the 240, then do the fiddly bits. There have been some successful conversions usiong the Nissan motor but it is a bit agricultural in concept.

As far as power goes VW achieved 225 bhp from the D24 engine (different camshaft profile, swirl chamber volume, pistons and slightly uprated fuel pump).

Going from the sublime to the ridiculous I would like to shoehorn an FH16 into my 945!! Now that is a motor and a half! V16, four turbochargers, 610 bhp and enough torque to climb a mountain with a 125ton load.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote