Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cold air at feet

Views : 1020

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2004, 15:06   #1
iluscombe

Hi,

On a recent trip to wales I noticed that there is a cold draft at my feet. The fan is turned off. I have adjusted all the temp controls but it always seems to be there.

It's really only noticeable at speeds above 40mph, I assume there is something not closing off somewhere. I end up driving around with the heater on to stop myself from catching a chill.

I have closed the flap near the accelerator pedal so it's definitely not coming from there. It's coming from under the dash.

Can someone advise me on what I should check/adjust/replace.

Cheers

Ian
iluscombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 18:51   #2
migrator
Aye - him again

Default RE: Cold air at feet

Ian,

Make sure that the ducting that should attach to the rear of the two centre console vents is securely attached. If it has come loose, there will be a constant supply of outside air at whatever temperature coming into the car. The natural escape for this is as you say 'from under the dash'. Also make sure that the rubber seals on the footwell vents are intact.

If this does not solve the problem I suggest rubbing two boy scouts together.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 19:12   #3
iluscombe

Hi again,

I went out yesterday and pulled off the panel that covers the drivers footwell vent. I noticed that the handle is not actually doing anything, It just moves side to side, nothing attached to it.

The metal flap behind the grill must be blown open at speed above 40mph causing the draft. The draft is rising up behind the dash and then escaping near the brake pedal.

What should be attached to the handle? I assume something must press against the flap to keep it shut. I was going to check the passenger side vent but I didnt want to interfere with all the wiring.

Cheers

Ian

Old May 3rd, 2004, 14:39   #4
migrator
Aye - him again

Default RE: Cold air at feet

Removing the trim panel on the passenger side will not interfere with the wiring.

The operating lever should be connected to a pivoting 'elbow arm' lever system which will also connect to the flap. The 'bent lever' system should hold open or closed the actual flap.

There may be a metal retaining pin through the handle of the operating lever (depending on the age of your car). This pin needs to be removed then the handle before the panel can be removed (older cars). On newer cars the handle will pass through the opening in the panel.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:35   #5
iluscombe

Hi again,

I took the metal flap off my 240. The 2 springs that hold the flap shut had snapped in half.

I pulled another flap off one my scrap 240's and installed it in my car. Draft has gone now.

Thanks for your advice.

Ian