Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 B18U idle stepper motor

Views : 2449

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2009, 11:13   #1
madpete

Red face 440 B18U idle stepper motor

Hi everyone,
I need to replace the idle stepper motor on my 440 with B18U engine. The price from the Volvo dealer is around £120 (ouch), but I have seen non-Volvo (non-Bosch) alternatives on the internet at around a quarter of this price. Could anyone please let me know of any opinions or experiences (good or bad) of these products. I imagine they are generally from China or similar, but one company specifically states that theirs come from the USA, so might they be any better?
Many thanks, Peter.
madpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 23:37   #2
owenski

Hi, volvo never made this Idle stepper motor for the B18U engine as its a Bosch part that volvo used

If you where to buy it from a volvo dealer it will be a bosch part

I got my replacment idle stepper motor for my volvo 440 from a local bosch dealer in my area and I paid £75 for it.

look at this link below under Dealer Locator then Automotive part supplier and then type in your postcode to up your nearest bosch dealer

www.boschautoparts.co.uk

Last edited by owenski; Aug 14th, 2010 at 23:43.
owenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 12:25   #3
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Before you 'fork out' some of your 'hard-earned'.................

Try taking your idle valve off & cleaning it by spraying carb cleaner into it & over it. You'll be amazed at the gunk that comes out. Let it dry off & re-fit.

Can be a 30 mins- 1hr well spent

Good luck.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 17:05   #4
B20F
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
Before you 'fork out' some of your 'hard-earned'.................

Try taking your idle valve off & cleaning it by spraying carb cleaner into it & over it. You'll be amazed at the gunk that comes out. Let it dry off & re-fit.

Can be a 30 mins- 1hr well spent

Good luck.
Sorry Paul, but the B18U has a completly other steppermotor then the other 400 engines. So your advice doesn't apply to the B18U. The B18U has the one and only steppermotor as the other B18's and B20F have a idle control valve, often by mistake called steppermotor. So you can't clean them like you would do on a 480, it's a completly different apparatus.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 20:18   #5
asdadavy

Smile 440 b18u idle stepper motor/idle. control valve

Hi paul.

I have a volvo 460 gs I replaced my idle control valve or stepper motor for approx. 43 quid inc p&p from parts dome. On ebay.
How do you know it is this for defo as mine had a missfire and loss of power and had sparks,dizzy,rotor arm,ht leads and idle control valve replaced and after all that cost it was the exhaust inlet manifold that had disentigrated.

Hopes this helps
asdadavy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asdadavy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 07:54   #6
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdadavy View Post
Hi paul.

I have a volvo 460 gs I replaced my idle control valve or stepper motor for approx. 43 quid inc p&p from parts dome. On ebay.
How do you know it is this for defo as mine had a missfire and loss of power and had sparks,dizzy,rotor arm,ht leads and idle control valve replaced and after all that cost it was the exhaust inlet manifold that had disentigrated.

Hopes this helps
Hi asdadavy, as B20F pointed out my input here was wrong for this engine, sorry.
Idle Control Valves are a very common cause of bad idling 'hunting' on the engines fitted with them. I incorrectly assumed (typical of me!) that Madpete's car had an ICV & posted in the hope of be able to save him a few quid.

I don't know for defo' that the idle valve would be at fault, but for a rough idle problem it is a very good starting point & often the cause. Many other items can also cause 'hunting' especially on a B18FT as I owned for 7 years.

You describe a missfire, I personally would'nt expect a duff/dirty ICV to be the cause of such an occurence (stands by to be corrected lol).

Good luck & thanks
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 18:51   #7
Steve Farr

Hi
My 480 2.0i has an intermittent stalling problem - usually when slowing down at a junction etc when I've taken my foot off the gas......
Revs drop, very low sometimes - then almost 'bounce' around before the engine either recovers or stalls - always restarts no problem
Could I have a similar problem and if so, any chance someone could describe where to find the bit/s I need to clean/replace and/or what they look like?
Many thanks in advance
Steve
Steve Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 00:27   #8
owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdadavy View Post
Hi paul.

Hopes this helps

Yes before I bought the Bosch stepper motor I did also buy one of these very cheap idle stepper motors from this guy on ebay too. The end came off it and the spring popped out of it after two weeks and I sent to back to parts dome for my money back.
owenski is offline   Reply With Quote