Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC 60 8 speed gearbox and VEA engine

Views : 19529

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2013, 20:46   #1
oldbeanracing

Default XC 60 8 speed gearbox and VEA engine

Just about to order D5 AWD Geartronic SE LUX Nav..
BUT... Just heard that new 8 speed box and possibly new engine to be launched for DEC delivery.....

Anybody know anything about this??
oldbeanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 21:16   #2
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Like I wrote on another thread, according to Swedish media, Volvo have already started production of the new engines and the first "should" be a 2-litre, 4-cylinder, diesel engine with 181-182bhp and the new 8-speed geartronic gearbox for the S/V60 and the XC60 and should replace the D4.

However, they don't say WHEN it will be available to the customer.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 21:20   #3
oldbeanracing

News came from large dealer.
Expects more news W/E 23-8....holding breath. and wallet.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 08:42   #4
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Default press release issued today.....

Volvo Cars' new DRIVE-E powertrains - efficient driving pleasure with world-first technologies

Volvo Car Group's (Volvo Cars) new DRIVE-E range of powertrains takes efficient driving pleasure to a new dimension in which the number of cylinders is no longer important to describe power and drivability. The first three engines from the two-litre, four-cylinder DRIVE-E powertrain family will be launched in autumn 2013. The diesel version features world-first i-Art technology, and the most powerful petrol version comes with a combination of a compressor and a turbocharger.

"We have created smaller, more intelligent engines with power curves that give exciting driveability compared with engines with more cylinders yet deliver the fuel economy of only four cylinders. In addition, by adding electrification such as plug-in hybrid technology, we will reach power figures in the V8 territory," says Derek Crabb, Vice President Powertrain Engineering at Volvo Cars.

The whole DRIVE-E engine range, which during the development phase was called Volvo Engine Architecture (VEA), basically consists of two four-cylinder engines, one common rail diesel and one direct-injected petrol version. They replace eight engine architectures on three platforms. DRIVE-E diesels will range from 120 to 230 hp. Petrol versions will start at 140 hp and go all the way up to 300-plus hp.

Several levels of turbo charging open up the flexibility to cover the whole range, from fuel-efficient derivatives through to high power and torque variants. In order to cover all customer requirements, some engines will also gain added performance via electrification or other spearhead technology.
Two DRIVE-E engines heading to the UK.

Initially, the new S60, V60 and XC60 FWD, will be available with the first diesel engine from the DRIVE-E family, the new D4, with 181hp. The S60 and V60 will also be joined by a new T6 engine, with 306hp powering the front wheels. Both engines will be available with a new eight-speed automatic gearbox, contributing to a refined drive and excellent fuel economy.
Volvo Cars' powertrain experts have developed the engines in-house. They are being built at Volvo Cars' high-tech engine plant in Skövde, Sweden.
New eight-speed automatic gearbox

To deliver the desired responsive, smooth and fuel-efficient drivability, the engines are teamed either with a new eight-speed automatic gearbox or an enhanced six-speed manual, tuned for improved fuel economy.
"The sophisticated DRIVE-E technologies give the customer high performance, improved fuel economy, considerably lower emissions and a powerful sound character. Our four-cylinder engines will offer higher performance than today's six-cylinder units and lower fuel consumption than the current four-cylinder generation," says Derek Crabb. He adds: "If you take a four-cylinder DRIVE-E engine versus any six-cylinder engine, there's a massive weight and size reduction for the same power. Fuel economy savings are anything from 10 to 30 per cent, depending on which engine you're comparing it to."

Diesels with world-first i-Art technology
The diesels feature world-first i-Art technology. By featuring pressure feedback from each fuel injector instead of using a traditional single pressure sensor in the common rail, i-Art makes it possible to continuously monitor and adapt fuel injection per combustion in each of the four cylinders.
"Increasing the rail pressure to an exceptionally high 2,500 bar, while adding the i-Art technology, can be described as the second step in the diesel revolution. It is a breakthrough comparable to our invention of the lambda sensor for the catalytic converter in 1976. It's another world first in passenger cars for Volvo Cars," says Derek Crabb.

Each injector has a small computer on top of it that monitors injection pressure. Using this information, the self-adapting i-Art system makes sure that the ideal amount of fuel is injected during each combustion cycle. The combination of higher injection pressure and i-Art technology gives the customer an engine with improved fuel economy, considerably lower emissions and high performance output as well as a powerful sound character.
The diesels also feature refinements such as state-of-the-art twin-turbo, reduced friction and a smart valve solution on the cooling system for a more rapid heat-up phase after a cold start.

Petrol engine with compressor and turbo
Using the supercharger to fill in the bottom end torque gives the petrol engine a big, naturally aspirated feel. The mechanically linked compressor starts to function immediately at low revs, while the turbocharger kicks in when the airflow builds up.

Other improvements to the DRIVE-E petrol engines include friction-reduction measures such as ball bearings on the camshaft, high-speed continuous variable valve timing and intelligent heat management with a fully variable electric water pump.

Prepared for electrification
The DRIVE-E engines are prepared for future electrification from the start. Key components, such as the Integrated Starter Generator, can be connected easily - and the compact size of the four-cylinder engines means that the electric motor can be fitted in the front or rear of the vehicle. The battery pack will be located in the centre of the car.

Downsizing without compromises
Volvo Car Group is highly confident that the focus on four-cylinder DRIVE-E powertrains is the right way to create the desirable blend of power, drivability and fuel efficiency.

"The power you get from an engine has nothing to do with its size; it is about the amount of air that you can get to flow through it. You can also make an engine more efficient if you make it smaller. So, if you can get more air through a smaller engine, you can still get the same power but at better efficiency," says Derek Crabb, concluding: "When I was involved in Formula One engines, they were producing 1.5-litre turbo charged engines capable of over 900 hp. And these new Volvo DRIVE-E engines have in fact been tested on the racetrack already. The engine we used in Volvo's WTCC car in 2011 was a DRIVE-E prototype and by the last race we set a new track record."

(photos and original article can be found at https://www.media.volvocars.com/go/2...21c79ac0d.aspx)

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk

Last edited by MtillingVolvo; Aug 16th, 2013 at 08:44. Reason: added website
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 10:52   #5
Westyman
VOC Member

The quote from Derek Crabb reminds me of the sort of thing Harry Weslake would have said. If he was still around he'd love the intricacies of modern technology I think.

Is the 8-speed auto a torque-converter, epicyclic one or a DSG type?
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 10:55   #6
Celticxc60

Excellent news. This will bring Volvo engines into the 21st century. This development will dramatically improve Volvo sales as the mpg attainable with the current engines is now seriously lagging behind other manufacturers, which inevitably is affecting sales and residual pricing.
Celticxc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Celticxc60 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 11:21   #7
oldbeanracing

Better put in my order asap.

OOPS perhaps not yet as only the 4 cyl 2wheel drive cars.......what about the 4X4 versions????

Last edited by oldbeanracing; Aug 16th, 2013 at 11:30.
oldbeanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 17:16   #8
tangey

good stuff, thanks for posting. Good to see the new range of engines coming thru. Think I'll wait for a 230bhp diesel.
The Following User Says Thank You to tangey For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 18:18   #9
S60Chris
Master Member

When is Autumn 2013 - We have a D5 SE Lux Nav AWD Geartronic on order... I should imagine it will be built in a week or two, possibly less...
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 18:37   #10
Peternb

Question

Having just ordered D4 AWD SE LUX NAV, I'm beginning to wonder whether I've made a bad decision?
Peternb is offline   Reply With Quote