Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Jump start XC60?

Views : 17624

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2011, 18:08   #1
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Default Jump start XC60?

I needed to help jump start a friend's car today and I opened the XC60 bonnet, located the battery - and was stumped you can see the positive terminal of the battery but cannot get to the negative terminal as it is under the bulkhead.

This made me wonder how you would jump start the XC60 if it was required, as the engine block is not accessible to connect the negative connector onto and all the exposed pipework appears to be insulated from the car body and engine block - as are the engine mounts and torque reaction bar

Anyone have the definitive answer - or even thoughts on this?

TIA

(BTW, pushed the friends car to bump start - absolutely knackering)
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 19:07   #2
crossedover

RTFM

See point 8 below.

Actually, it's a good point you raise and without the manual I'm not sure I'd have thought of the answer.

Jump starting
If the battery is flat then the car can be started with current from another battery.
The following points are recommended when using a donor battery in order to avoid the risk of an explosion:
1. Insert the remote control key in key posi- tion 0, see page 74.
2. Ensure that the donor battery is 12 volt.
3. If the donor battery is in another car, switch off the donor car's engine in the other car and ensure that the cars do not touch one another.
4. Connect the red jump lead to the positive terminal on the donor battery .
5. Open the clips on the front cover of the battery in your car and remove the cover, see page 272.
6. Connect the red jump lead to the battery's positive terminal .
7. Connect one end of the black jump lead to the donor battery's negative terminal .
IMPORTANT
Connect the start cable carefully to avoid short circuits with other components in the engine compartment.
8. Connect the other clamp to an earthing point, (right-hand engine mounting at the top, the outer screw head) . Check that the jump lead clamps are fixed securely so that there are no sparks during the starting procedure.
9. Start the engine of the "donor car". Let the engine run a few minutes at a speed slightly higher than idle (1500 rpm).
10. Start the engine of the car with the flat bat- tery. Do not touch the crocodile clips dur- ing the start procedure. There is a risk of sparks forming.
Remove the jump leads, first the black and then the red.
Make sure that none of the clamps on the black jump lead comes into contact with the battery's positive terminal or the clamp connected to the red jump lead.

WARNING
The battery can generate oxyhydrogen gas, which is highly explosive. One spark, which can be generated if you connect a jump lead incorrectly, is sufficient to make the battery explode. The battery contains sulphuric acid, which can cause serious burns. If the acid comes into contact with eyes, skin or clothing, flush with large quantities of water. If acid splashes into the eyes, seek medical attention immediately.

I

Old Nov 5th, 2011, 19:34   #3
Brodick
Master Member

From memory you need to move the rubber seal to get better access and remove the protective platic cover at the back.
It is not the easiest thing to do (it is as if volvo don't wont you to have access)

I have since bought a battery booster gismo so I don't have the hassle again
at least it is easier if the XC60 ever needed a jump start.
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 20:27   #4
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
This made me wonder how you would jump start the XC60 if it was required...

Anyone have the definitive answer - or even thoughts on this?
call the aa. in all seriousness, that's what i did. if the batteries totally flat, there's a procedure to follow to reset the main ecu after the car is started. when we looked through the manual, the procedure wasn't there, and it was something the aa guy knew from memory as a similar procedure is required on a few cars these days. without the procedure, most of the car's functions remain inoperable.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 21:19   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossedover View Post
RTFM

Now why didn't I think of that
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 21:41   #6
volvorocks
Rodney

Would not recommend jump starting an XC60 or using an XC60 to jump start another vehicle.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 22:49   #7
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Would not recommend jump starting an XC60 or using an XC60 to jump start another vehicle.

Regards
Why not?
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 23:21   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villan View Post
Why not?
The risk of possible electrical problems a plenty thereafter!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 07:40   #9
ExMercR
XC60 Owner

Quote:
The risk of possible electrical problems a plenty thereafter!
Do you have something to substantiate this, or is just another wild and hysterical theory?
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 09:25   #10
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:

Regards
Seems to me that Volvo don't have an issue and if I did have a problem after using the car in the manner they suggest then I would be expecting Volvo to repair said fault.

I can see no reason that makes a Volvo less suitable than any other vehicle to be used a slave to start another car.