Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bringing a 740 back to life

Views : 23293

Replies : 240

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2021, 20:19   #181
Ian21401
Premier Member

I wouldn’t expect WD40 to have much effect. I might have tried some releasing fluid of some sort ( as Luke mentioned) but even then more in hope than anything else.
As it is proving to be really obstinate. Why not spend some more time and remove the radiator completely. That would give you better access and remove the chance of damaging it.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 21:46   #182
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I wouldn’t expect WD40 to have much effect. I might have tried some releasing fluid of some sort ( as Luke mentioned) but even then more in hope than anything else.
As it is proving to be really obstinate. Why not spend some more time and remove the radiator completely. That would give you better access and remove the chance of damaging it.
It’s not so much the room in front of the pump it’s more to do with access down the side to try and move the pipe and try and break the seal. I’ll have move time this weekend to give it a proper go.
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2021, 22:25   #183
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challo View Post
It’s not so much the room in front of the pump it’s more to do with access down the side to try and move the pipe and try and break the seal. I’ll have move time this weekend to give it a proper go.
Try some WMP on it Chris, WD40 is as much use as a chocolate teapot in comparison. It's a 50/50 mix of acetone (nail varnish remover) and Carlube ATF-U (or Dexron III, NAPA MV, or similar synthetic ATF) and once mixed, shake it well before use. Brush, spray or dribble it on, working into the siezed area. Leave it to work for a few minutes. Make sure you seal the container you mixed it in and shake well before each use as it will separate easily.

Why WMP? Weapon of Mass Penetration! So far, i haven't found a fastener that's beaten it but there's always a first time. That said, i've seen it shift turbo nuts on an exhaust downpipe that were 20 years old, never touched from new and lived near the coast and the previous week the car had been doing 150mph when it melted a cylinder - the molten lump caused the timing to jump bending all 16 valves and the sudden lack of cooling warped the head. In short it had cooked itself to death! The turbo nuts were more or less welded on!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2021, 13:46   #184
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Try some WMP on it Chris, WD40 is as much use as a chocolate teapot in comparison. It's a 50/50 mix of acetone (nail varnish remover) and Carlube ATF-U (or Dexron III, NAPA MV, or similar synthetic ATF) and once mixed, shake it well before use. Brush, spray or dribble it on, working into the siezed area. Leave it to work for a few minutes. Make sure you seal the container you mixed it in and shake well before each use as it will separate easily.

Why WMP? Weapon of Mass Penetration! So far, i haven't found a fastener that's beaten it but there's always a first time. That said, i've seen it shift turbo nuts on an exhaust downpipe that were 20 years old, never touched from new and lived near the coast and the previous week the car had been doing 150mph when it melted a cylinder - the molten lump caused the timing to jump bending all 16 valves and the sudden lack of cooling warped the head. In short it had cooked itself to death! The turbo nuts were more or less welded on!
Still waiting for the ATF to arrive. I have the acetone, but the first order of ATF was cancelled as the seller had become ill with covid and couldn't process the order. New order placed and should be here on Thursday.

Had another poke around last night, and I think its welded together where the nut goes through underneath the pipe at the back of the pipe. Obviously been leaking overtime and corroded together.

Fingers crossed the WMP makes its mark and gets the waterpump free.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 21:11   #185
Challo

So I had to get my mechanic to change the water pump. He said it took some persuasion, mainly because the gasket had disintegrated and the pipe had welded itself on.

Put all the carpets back in and it’s finally nearly finished. The only thing left to do is fix the speedo issue. The previous owner said it had just stopped working prior to it being sold. I have taken apart the speedo as I know the gears break easily, but these all look good with no issues. All the other dials work, Rev counter is fine.

Anything else I can check on why the speedo has stopped working?
The Following User Says Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 22:33   #186
Ian21401
Premier Member

Good to hear that the water pump problem is now resolved.
My 940 has a Yazaki speedo. Odometer worked fine but no speed indicated. Replaced the capacitors and one by one removed each of the small screws on the PCB, cleaned their contact area on the PCB then replaced them. That cured it.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Sep 11th, 2021 at 22:37.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2021, 23:20   #187
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challo View Post
So I had to get my mechanic to change the water pump. He said it took some persuasion, mainly because the gasket had disintegrated and the pipe had welded itself on.

Put all the carpets back in and it’s finally nearly finished. The only thing left to do is fix the speedo issue. The previous owner said it had just stopped working prior to it being sold. I have taken apart the speedo as I know the gears break easily, but these all look good with no issues. All the other dials work, Rev counter is fine.

Anything else I can check on why the speedo has stopped working?
Check the MoT history Chris, he might be telling you porkies about when the odometer failed!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 00:26   #188
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Check the MoT history Chris, he might be telling you porkies about when the odometer failed!
MOT history is fine, and does appear to only have failed recently.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 00:30   #189
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Good to hear that the water pump problem is now resolved.
My 940 has a Yazaki speedo. Odometer worked fine but no speed indicated. Replaced the capacitors and one by one removed each of the small screws on the PCB, cleaned their contact area on the PCB then replaced them. That cured it.

Thanks will take a further look
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 22:00   #190
Challo

As my Mini is in the garage I have been using the Volvo for the last month and been going well. I got the alignment done by the local garage using their Hunter system, and they picked up a slight issue with the front left wheel.

According to the machine they could get the alignment right as the camber is out. Now from what I remember you the camber is fixed on these, is that correct?

Any idea what might be causing the camber to be slightly out? Issue with the strut?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 201EA8A0-7A95-4C49-9873-5978D64F6434.jpg (121.3 KB, 10 views)