Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Price guide of 240

Views : 872

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2020, 16:33   #11
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

My previous post was following on the rust point(s) made before I posted.

I haven't fully taken on board the condition of this car. I haven't, grasped, if this would be a trade sale or a true personal sale. And I am not anyway going to guess at price.

I would point out that only one actual money paying buyer is needed to achieve a sale. One buyer might be willing to pay more for a car that has been altered but they can live with the alterations. Another buyer might want immaculate presentation or want a purist approach and pay a lot. etc. etc.

Another buyer might prefer a car that has had ok maintenance &c. and has not been noticeably updated and they might pay hopefully sensible.

P.S. Worst case scenario I remember having seen. The car had been modified or updated to be a hybrid between two 240 specifications. Sold slowly. Sold again quickly for half that price. Ouch.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Apr 13th, 2020 at 16:49.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 16:48   #12
rustytoba
Master Member

Hi,

Id say that what you have is a very honest example, it even has what looks like the original equipment radio cassette.

Arch rust nowhere near as bad as that section near the mud flap but that seems to be the front wing overlap and if your lucky it may not have effected the sill at all.

You could rust convert the rusty bits just to show you still care.

As for price it's just like art cars only make silly money if there are people out there to pay it.

Its a nearly the end of the line white estate with blue trim but original and in decent enough condition and still road legal that will always be worth something id aim for a price that would deter scavengers but not genuine buyers certainly at least £800.

I hope this helps if not encourages my own 240 cost me every spare penny I had when I needed a car but I doubt if find another these days for £240.10

Scott
rustytoba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rustytoba For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 16:55   #13
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Rusty is right, and eloquent. And for the right buyer and depending on the dreaded estate rear end rust, if there's no problems, £1200 to £1500.

I said I would not guess at price. Sorry. But. If the car is sound, then the right buyer will see a fundamentally sound car to keep for the future.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 17:15   #14
volvo always
Premier Member

In August 2018 I sold my 1989 240 GLT Auto estate for £500.

Needed a quick sale and my car was a workhorse with various issues. Dirty, Non working heater fan, rusty arches. Mileage 240k. Mot around3-4 months left. Drove well.

New owner had done a good job of replacement rear lights, rebuilt drivers seat, new headlamp reflectors, tidy up of arches. A thorough clean of interior and exterior plus other niggles.
It was lovely to see my old car at the car show and must of cost quite a bit in new parts!

Sold not long after for £1,200 on Ebay with a fresh mot. Was hoping new owner would of got more for him.
It looked great!

The new buyer got a good car.

For real high prices then low mileage and one owner and no issues to get good prices.

James.

Last edited by volvo always; Apr 13th, 2020 at 17:20.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 21:15   #15
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
......For real high prices then low mileage and one owner and no issues to get good prices....
Exactly. Few owners - and never having had any serious body repairs - it’s all about originality and provenance if you want to get big bucks for the car.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 00:08   #16
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal optimist View Post
Exactly. Few owners - and never having had any serious body repairs - it’s all about originality and provenance if you want to get big bucks for the car.
Yep.

You need a rust free, low owner/miles garage lived all it's life 240. Plus good history

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 07:31   #17
Othen
Premier Member

OP - would I be right in thinking you are in the motor trade?

As you will know then, it will be difficult to sell anything during this lock down. If you want to sell it tomorrow it will be a £400 car, if you can wait until the restrictions are lifted, people get back to work and have some money to buy 27 year old cars that do 25 MPG in their pockets then it will be worth more, maybe £800. If you want to do the work to get it into nice condition (it looks like some welding and of course then some paint) it is probably a £2,000 car, but it might cost you a grand to get there.

...I sort of have a feeling you know all of this already :-)

Alan

PS. If you can afford to keep it another 13 years then the price will go up quite considerably when it becomes tax and MoT exempt.

Last edited by Othen; Apr 14th, 2020 at 07:34.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 08:54   #18
mentepazza

If you have no rush just put on it a silly price, UK is full of fool.
They ll buy it just because the price is silly.
There will always be a first time classic buyer.
I was there myself and bought a 240 bucket of very well hidden rust.
240 reputation is much more than reality.
There is plenty of 240in the same condition as yours. Now with more experience I wouldn’t buy one like that unless it less than 800.
Just DIY job to put it back on the road as it should, it’s time consuming and money. Just a few to mention I have noticed myself over the Years driving and owning a few 240: unbalanced brakes, usually 2 or more calliper to replace, them you’ll change disks and pads as well ( unless new). Abs pump not working.
Steering rack play, they all do it soon or later.
In that condition probably shocks need replacing. Let’s not talk about timing belt end engine...you ll basically spend a fortune to put it back together.
In my experience it worth only if you do it on a car that in the end is gonna worth the money and your time as well because we are all passionate but at some point we get bored and we want to sell our toys. And at that point you want to make as much as possible.
I rather pay 2 Or 3 grand for a 1993 240 well looked after than restoring one.
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mentepazza For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 09:41   #19
240bus

Morning all and thank you for the responses.

Looking through all the advice it looks like in my position it will be best to clean it up and then see what the market offers. I don’t have the ability to do any of the bodywork and realise for a decent repair it will be costly at a body shop.

I would have kept this but usual old story of time and space makes me realise I would be better putting the funds of this towards a toy that might not be in need of the bodywork.

Thank you for the guidance
240bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 240bus For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 10:08   #20
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240bus View Post
Morning all and thank you for the responses.

Looking through all the advice it looks like in my position it will be best to clean it up and then see what the market offers. I don’t have the ability to do any of the bodywork and realise for a decent repair it will be costly at a body shop.

I would have kept this but usual old story of time and space makes me realise I would be better putting the funds of this towards a toy that might not be in need of the bodywork.

Thank you for the guidance
Good fortune.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote