Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2009 car scrappage results..

Views : 1828

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2014, 12:48   #1
rusty244

Default 2009 car scrappage results..

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...scheme-in-2009

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum.

I opened the CSV yesterday and if I remember correctly I counted around 400 of the various 200 series cars having been scrapped.

What a waste! I guess none of the parts would have made it back into circulation either with the cars sent straight to the crusher.

All for a phoney discount on a new car which could likely have been haggled anyway.

Madness!
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rusty244 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 14:01   #2
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty244 View Post
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...scheme-in-2009

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum.

I opened the CSV yesterday and if I remember correctly I counted around 400 of the various 200 series cars having been scrapped.

What a waste! I guess none of the parts would have made it back into circulation either with the cars sent straight to the crusher.

All for a phoney discount on a new car which could likely have been haggled anyway.

Madness!
Mandelson at his finest.

Yes, most of the Kias and Renaults that were bought back then on the back of this are now well on the way to automotive heaven.
Waste is waste. Don't allow this to happen again.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 14:41   #3
Powerforge

Sweet mother ...

That list made me feel like I was reading names on a battlefield casualty list so, so many rare cars crushed for no reason.

4 Fiat 127 Fiorinios..... I'm lost for words

"Olaf" - 1999 V40 T4 in Pearl Black - Standard at the mo

==========================================
Powerforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 15:04   #4
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerforge View Post
Sweet mother ...

That list made me feel like I was reading names on a battlefield casualty list so, so many rare cars crushed for no reason.

4 Fiat 127 Fiorinios..... I'm lost for words
Oh there was a reason. Several .
The desire to show how progressive and Green the government was.
Appeasing the anti car lobby.
The desire to wipe the past, nostalgia for old things is not a healthy attitude.
And mostly, the desire to sell new cars that were made abroad.
I suppose the chap who chopped in the Austin Healey Sprite thought it was a great idea.
Now he has a Prius with a dead battery instead.

Of course, many of the victims were just bilge, and destined for a rendezvous with the fragger anyway.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 15:12   #5
Powerforge

Yep, he had to join the bus queue with the bloke who weighed in his 3000gxl Capri mk 1.

Not so sure about them all being fraggers in waiting tho - remember the vehicle had to have MOT on it to take part in scrappage.

Old Sep 30th, 2014, 15:22   #6
grin factor

Yes its very sad, some good cars crushed, only to give the government of the day a point or two.
Not good, as said before, it should never happen again
grin factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 20:18   #7
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Yep, I was going to say - remember all 'scrap' vehicles had to have a valid MoT - so much for 'bangers'.

It especially makes me laugh when you think that the only real beneficiaries of the entire scam were the exchequer and a variety of korean carmakers.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 21:19   #8
scooters

Culturally I think we have changed as a nation. Even 3 years ago we still had a throw away culture those who didn't subscribe to herd like consumerism were sneered at. These days making do and mending is a virtue, like shopping at aldi or buying a Dacia, 7 years ago buying a Dacia would have attracted sneers. Now its a different story. I actually got complimented on my 244 by an Evoque driver the other day. Admired me for keeping it on the road and bemoaning the lack of the skills required. I refrained from pointing out to him that no one had taught me and I had taught myself over the last 8 years. Mind you... He was driving an Evoque ffs!

No, I think if they tried the scrapper scheme again they might be dissatisfied with the response. People question thd need to take out unnecessary financial risk and are more adverse to binning a working model. I think the colossal scandal re diesel emissions has list any government credibility re environment and driving in the eyes of the punters. Hopefully this will translate into 360degree environment motor policies rather than giving a 4 lt let us 4x4 a free parking permit because it has a hairdryer motor bolted on the engine whilst the poor family with the 20year old mondeo 1.8 get slammed the full rate for their car.
scooters is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scooters For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 22:41   #9
Powerforge

Scrappage is a lie anyway - the vast majority of pollution created by a car occurs during it's initial production. By far the greenest thing they could have done was paid people £2000 to sign a contract to keep their old cars for the next 10 years in good working order, then shut down the car factories.

So in essence - scrappage just added hugely to world pollution and CO2 emission

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Powerforge For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 23:14   #10
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerforge View Post
Scrappage is a lie anyway - the vast majority of pollution created by a car occurs during it's initial production. By far the greenest thing they could have done was paid people £2000 to sign a contract to keep their old cars for the next 10 years in good working order, then shut down the car factories.

So in essence - scrappage just added hugely to world pollution and CO2 emission
I was just about to write something similar when I saw your post. It's well known that a well-maintained old car, despite possibly greater exhaust emissions, is environmentally much less damaging than the continuing manufacture of new vehicles. Presumably it's politically expedient to keep the car factories running, no party of government has been really bothered about 'green' issues when votes are at stake.

I don't think we should be fooled by electric vehicles either. Yes they're less directly polluting but the power still has to be generated and unless that can be guaranteed to be from renewables there is bound to be an environmental impact. Quite apart of course from the consequences of the manufacturing process.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post: