Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 V70 Rear brake light issue

Views : 4602

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2023, 23:42   #1
Mkengineering
Master Member

Default 2004 V70 Rear brake light issue

I am hoping someone can shed some info on this problem I've come across.

So this evening I got a message on my dash saying "check brake light"

Checked the brake lights too find the 3rd centre brake light was working coming on and off but the other two where just constantly illuminated?

So i decided too change the bulbs too see if that will solve the issue to find that didn't help but stayed the same? Anyone have any idea on what this could be?

It's typical that I've got a MoT booked in tomorrow for this bloody thing and she decides to play up!

Cheers for the help guys

M
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mkengineering For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 00:09   #2
xco
Premier Member

Hi m8 sounds like a short or a relay maybe.

When I had my V70 i had the opposite fault of the centre upper brake light above the back window failed but the 2 stacked ones were ok.

Just replaced the unit complete and MOT passed.

I shouldn't think it is a very big problem so dont worry.

Go for your MOT as planned and tell them its happened on the way here you think and if it fails on just that they may even just sort it whilst your there.

Good luck with your MOT anyway.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 00:10   #3
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

stupid question maybe but you're not confusing the side lights with the brake lights are you..

duff lamp holders can also cause issues but it seems unlikely both would go at the same time

it annoys me that it doesn't tell you which side is out, that would be very handy

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Mar 1st, 2023 at 00:13.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 00:57   #4
Mkengineering
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xco View Post
Hi m8 sounds like a short or a relay maybe.

When I had my V70 i had the opposite fault of the centre upper brake light above the back window failed but the 2 stacked ones were ok.

Just replaced the unit complete and MOT passed.

I shouldn't think it is a very big problem so dont worry.

Go for your MOT as planned and tell them its happened on the way here you think and if it fails on just that they may even just sort it whilst your there.

Good luck with your MOT anyway.
Appreciate the advice this is exactly what I am getting except as said opposite to you.

The stacked lights illuminate but as soon as I push the brake pedal the brakes don't seems too indacte thar the car is breaking,however the 3rd brake lights works while pushing the brake pedal.

Mot is booked at 2pm today. will see if it is the relay and see if I am able too use a redundant relay in its place?

Next question is I suppose the relay module will be located at the front in the fuse box?
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 01:01   #5
Mkengineering
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
stupid question maybe but you're not confusing the side lights with the brake lights are you..

duff lamp holders can also cause issues but it seems unlikely both would go at the same time

it annoys me that it doesn't tell you which side is out, that would be very handy
This is what I thought when I initially came across the problem.

I double checked and made sure I wasn't being a lemon and mistaking it for the rear side lamps.

But nope it's most defiantly the brake lamps which aren't doing what they are suppose too be doing.

Even when I replaced the brake lamps with 2 x New bulbs it would stay on constantly and not change when pressed the brake pedal. I.e to indicate that I have pressed the brake pedal.

Will pop.over to volvo and see how much a relay is. ( I know it won't be cheap that's for sure)
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 04:50   #6
xco
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkengineering View Post
Appreciate the advice this is exactly what I am getting except as said opposite to you.

The stacked lights illuminate but as soon as I push the brake pedal the brakes don't seems too indacte thar the car is breaking,however the 3rd brake lights works while pushing the brake pedal.

Mot is booked at 2pm today. will see if it is the relay and see if I am able too use a redundant relay in its place?

Next question is I suppose the relay module will be located at the front in the fuse box?
Hi m8

If you don't already have one go to Google and enter MY04 V70 USER MANUAL PDF and click on the download page for the Volvo support page that comes up.

It's free and then you will have a full V70 MANUAL to hand for your car year.

Your fuses for the rear brake lights are in the cargo bay LHS behind the lift out panel on the circuit board and are numbered and listed on page 113 I think in the manual along with a collection of relays on the board as well but you'll have to suss them out yourself.

I had a quick look for you and there is also some brake contact item in the fuse box in the engine bay that may be something to do with the brake pedal actuator(you know... press on brakes lights come on ...come off pedal brake lights off ...maybe a relay in there??)but again I can only suggest m8... you'll have to do the donkey work yourself.
You don't say if you are taking your car to an MOT centre or garage? If garage I would tell them what's happened and save yourself a load of grief and let them obd 11 it and sort it while your there.
I shouldn't think it's anything very serious and usually pay for the part and a drink note (a tenner)will see it through the MOT.
I expect the garage or MOT centre if that's where you're headed have seen this loads of times and may be able to pinpoint and fix the problem for you.

Hope this helps and good luck with your MOT.

My V70 was the same year as yours and that 163 D5 was a peach of an engine.
They are lovely cars when looked after properly and we must do everything we can to keep them running.

Regards

Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 05:11   #7
xco
Premier Member

Just had another quick look on Google for you but I can't get the link to here from my tablet but if you Google V70 brake lights stay on there's link to this site and it appears this has happened to lots on here .
Relay RM15 is mentioned and the brake switch if you want to tackle it yourself.

Regards

Ian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 09:37   #8
Mkengineering
Master Member

Thank you.

Xco

You are a life saver
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 09:57   #9
Lancee
Premier Member

I had similar years ago, I believe it was in the RM15 position. If I recall correctly my car had an original dual relay which handled both the upper and lower lights. I believe it was replaced by two updated single relays from my Volvo main dealer, one did the upper light and one the lower two lights. This is only some guidance on my part, my memory is not what it was so don't hold me to anything, including any illustrated part numbers !

https://www.volvoparts.tmsmotorgroup...42-12420-p.asp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (7.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 3000153_2089.jpg (52.0 KB, 14 views)
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 11:14   #10
Mkengineering
Master Member

So I am bit confused.

I've gone into the passenger rear and taken apart the fixture to find this?

My one looks nothing like what you guys are showing me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16776691936982966756016370681245.jpg (385.0 KB, 24 views)