Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pimp rims wanted!

Views : 1334

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2013, 13:50   #11
StvC

Sure I saw someone doing up to 14" bandeds and painted for £50 a corner online. Was for a Polo GT i almost bought.

I think feedback and a recommendation is a must wuth such a thing though, it's only a couple of years back where this very post would spark a furious debate about the OP threating everyone's life with such a reckless mod!

Bit like 'Errr what d'ya think of chopped springs' :-).

Point being, if done properly there's no problem but if done badly there could be so I'd go with Antz's recommendation and pay the extra I think.
StvC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 14:28   #12
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

These are my third set of banded steels and although I havent got them on the car yet, just by looking at them they are far better than the previous two sets Ive had which were marginally cheaper.

The 1st set I had were ancient, very crude and wobbled like hell no matter what I did to get them balanced. The current set im running were done about 6 years ago by a rival wheel banding place and they look OK but the band and welds are visible plus one leaks from the weld. Other than that, they wobble like hell unless you line them with some hefty wheel weights on the outside by the middle of the wheel. They arent bad but having heard about Alonze from a few people, including a staff member of Retro Cars magazine have some wheels done by Jim Alonze and said he was over the moon, I decided to give him a try.

Ive not heard of anyone having a problem with Jims wheels yet and being local to him, he gets a lot of business from the VW boys. My mate runs them on his daily driver Ford Sierra without any problems and they balanced up no problem, dont wobble, hold air fine and survived all of last winter without trouble.

Even better, his turnaround time is usually a week. I was really surprised when he did mine in 4 days.

Check his Facebook page if you are on it. He posts pictures of most wheels he does, both befores and afters. Painted and unpainted so you can see the quality of the work throughout.

If youre after banded wheels. I'd speak to him first.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 22:57   #13
Volvodrivingbiker

are theres the crucks of wheel banding then they need to be perfectly straight otherwise the ballance would be all over the place but its got me thinking though Hmmm

Think Bike !
Volvodrivingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 23:17   #14
V8brick

Got some old school goodness just waiting for them !