Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings > VOC Section Events

Notices

VOC Section Events Meetings and Events organised by local VOC sections

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Voc @ Tatton Park week end 4/5 June 2011

Views : 9955

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2011, 11:40   #1
nigel335
Director/ Register Keeper

Default Voc @ Tatton Park week end 4/5 June 2011

Tatton Park:

Out of more than 50 'Club' stands - in a car show with in excess of 2,500 exhibits our 'first bash' VOC stand got second prize in the 'highly commended'.

We had seven cars on Saturday and eleven cars on Sunday. Every single one a VOC car. So we were really pleased with the turn out. Luckily we managed to grow the size of our plot becasuse an ice cream seller failed to show up - so the neighbouring pitch allocated for his van was snapped up by our extra cars. It would have been tight otherwise (I'd banked on a maximum of eight showing up!)

There were a number of other Volvos dotted around the show, from 164's, Amazons, 200, 900, 300 - all private entries.

They award six prizes in 'highly commended' all of whom are awarded nice trophies. Then six further simpler shields are given to clubs who have caught the eye of the judges. So we came 2nd out of all those Club stands! I am really pleased with our efforts.

My 'new' 240 GL Saloon (first outing to any show) won Best Volvo.

We shifted lots of Membership forms and Club Magazines - so we hope that a few of those decide to sign up.

Of course, everyone seemed to congratulate me for the weeken's success. I didn't see it that way at all. I see it as a collective effort that grew out of a simple idea I had one day whilst cleaning up one of the cars. Every single car was an outstanding example - all beautifully turned out.

I will send some detalis over to Chris Wickers, along with some photos. We ALL enjoyed the weekend and we're all keen to repeat the excercise - perhaps as early as Tatton's Park's August 2011 Show. I shall appeal for the troops to join in again - if Chris would be kind enough to get it into the next issue of Driver.

Douglas Hughes
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 11:43   #2
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

I'm Mystfied as to why no one thought to mention this "Get Together" to the 78% of Members on here that are NOT VOC Members.

I fer 1 would have brought down the "C" & I KNOW several other Members that would have been only to happy to attend
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 12:55   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

Ditto as per Hooded Claw

Had I known I could have easily popped down to give support

The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 13:32   #4
tc
VOC Member

Ditto, wouldn't have taken that long either it's not that far from me.
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 13:39   #5
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

It does "beg the Question" as to what the Organisers of said Event actually "Think" of us "Non VOC Members"....

Perhaps they are of the Opinion that we are "Not Worthy" of bringing our Vehicles to "Their" Event (Because we are NOT VOC members) ..

Then Again ..Well over 80% of the problems on here are Answered by "Non VOC Members" ....

I can see a "Class" system developing here .. "Oooo Your NOT a member ?? Go away you repugnant little person" .....

Here Hang on ..... I know what it is ...... We don't know the SECRET VOLVO SALUTE .... You know the one ... you meet another member & yer do a funny dance Drop yer Trollies & blow a Pink Balloon up wiv yer Arse.!!!!!!

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; Jun 6th, 2011 at 13:49.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 14:59   #6
nigel335
Director/ Register Keeper

Default re Tatton Park

To all complaining re lack of non voc members being informed of Tatton park event.
May I point out the calendar on this website. the details were and are there.
Members and non members alike can view what is going on through out the year and around the country.
Not all events are on the calendar because I do not get informed about them all I even put non VOC events that I feel are of interest to members and forum users.
I would point out this was not a VOC arranged event.
I feel an apology is owed by those criticising the club over the lack of advertising of this event. It was advertised. Please also take into account that until I introduced the calendar just over a year ago the fact that some events were advertised was lost in the number of threads

Nigel Ayling
140 Register Keeper
Director
Event Diary Manager
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nigel335 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 18:05   #7
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel335 View Post
To all complaining re lack of non voc members being informed of Tatton park event.
May I point out the calendar on this website. the details were and are there.
Members and non members alike can view what is going on through out the year and around the country.
Not all events are on the calendar because I do not get informed about them all I even put non VOC events that I feel are of interest to members and forum users.
I would point out this was not a VOC arranged event.
I feel an apology is owed by those criticising the club over the lack of advertising of this event. It was advertised. Please also take into account that until I introduced the calendar just over a year ago the fact that some events were advertised was lost in the number of threads

Nigel Ayling
140 Register Keeper
Director
Event Diary Manager
Sorry Nigel I cannot aggree with your Statement above for several reasons

1. EVERY single "Other" event has a Sticky posted for all to see (YES I did Check!)

2. The very fact that your Associate Douglas has found it necessary to post a Thread ref the AUG Event underlines this fact

3. The fact that Douglas "apologised" for "Not Blogging" much (ref the Event) again proves our point

4. Introducing the Calendar does not Gaurantee "Viewing" from Members. where-as a "Sticky" (like 99% of all other events) DOES.

There have (& Still are) on this Forum been Members expressing Dis Satisfaction with the Annual BKV being held so far South, do you not think that if we (Members say North of Birmingham) had known about the Tatton event We would have "passed it up"???....

Most certainly we would not have, further, you are making an assumption that all members know how to Navigate around the forum ... This is Not so I know many member on here who are able to "Find" their Section & little else.

You asked for an Apology I will most certainly apologise fer "Taking the Micheal" (ref the "Funny Dance" Quip) ... SORRY!!! it was an attempt to "Lighten the Mood" somewhat.

At this time I can tell you where "Most" "Meets" are taking place in the UK (Because ALL OF THEM are "Stickied" in the Main Forum) Am I going to attend them ???? Probably NOT (Some are too far to travel & in this day & age with Petrol pricing as it is I prefer to wait until a "Closer" meet is/Has been arranged)

Which brings me to my final point This is from the "Link" in the Events Diary

Quote:
Cheshire Auto Promotions car show
Tatton Park Knutsford Cheshire WA16 6QN
For further details see www.cheshireautopromotions.co.uk

There are camping facilities for tents and caravans at Tatton Park - by prior arrangement with the show organisers.
VOC member Douglas Hughes is hoping to put together a club stand at this show if any member is able to assist Douglas or would like to support the club by attending the event please contact Douglas at douglas@douglashughes6.wanadoo.co.uk

Nigel Ayling
Events Diary
Does it say we (the VOC) are putting a stand up ??? NO IT DOES NOT it says Douglas is HOPING to put together a Stand ........it is a SINGLE POST there are no "reminders" no " Hey guys come & support us at the Tatton Show" (IN FACT IT DOES NOT EVEN MENTION (in the POST) WHERE THE SHOW IS!!!!)

Whilst I do understand you have More pressing matters than Posting on the Forum But "Making a "STICKIE" for such an important event takes what 15 Seconds ???? ... And the fact that is was "accessable" to most "Northern Members" was just Poor judgement on the part of the events Dept.

You have made us "northern & Scottish Members" feel like the "Poor Relations" here & when FINALLY there is an Event that we can attend you don't tell us about it & then shuv the blame BACK onto us (when we complain) for NOT looking in the Diary !!!!

Sorry Nigel you made a "Boo Boo" here ..... & I THINK in yer heart you know that too!!!

OK Lets just "Put it to Bed" now Eh!? but Please in future if there "Something" ANYTHING up here .... SHOUT IT FROM THE DAMNED ROOF TOPS if yer have to ... but DO TELL US !!!

Regards

Keith (Aka The Hooded Claw)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 18:47   #8
mikealder
VOC Member

Keith, Looks like we will have to put up with locally organised meets which have been very well supported of late, Pennington Flash 03/07/11 looks good to me, just need to post it up in the "Meetings & Events" section.

As a note to Nigel, I do check the calender from time to time and the Tatton Park event didn't appear to be much, the "Sticky Thread" approach is far more productive in terms of turn out and far easier for forum users to spot, it also gets more "Hits" pushing the thread back in view for other forum users to spot when using the "Unread Posts" or "New Posts" options, the calender looks like an "add on" to the forum with no true integration - Mike
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 19:58   #9
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Keith, Looks like we will have to put up with locally organised meets which have been very well supported of late, Pennington Flash 03/07/11 looks good to me, just need to post it up in the "Meetings & Events" section.

As a note to Nigel, I do check the calender from time to time and the Tatton Park event didn't appear to be much, the "Sticky Thread" approach is far more productive in terms of turn out and far easier for forum users to spot, it also gets more "Hits" pushing the thread back in view for other forum users to spot when using the "Unread Posts" or "New Posts" options, the calender looks like an "add on" to the forum with no true integration - Mike
Yer Quite Right Mike the Calendar does look VERY like an "After Thought!!!"

I tell yer Mike I am VERY VERY TEMPTED to set up "Volvo Owners Organisation" (VOO) I've run VB forums fer over 11 Years now & We know someone whio has a Server (DON'T WE!!!!!) ..

Keith

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; Jun 6th, 2011 at 20:01.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 23:21   #10
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Could this have been better promoted? With hindsight, probably yes. Are they ways of making your point without shouting your head off? Absolutely. We're all volunteers, so a little patience and understanding wouldn't go amiss.

Maybe this would've gone better if you'd volunteered to be a forum events liaison for the region, rather than criticising? Splinter groups are nothing new. I maintain that it's better to get involved and help rather than shouting from the sidelines.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread