Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with XC60 D5 AWD R Design SE

Views : 6030

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 19:48   #1
mb123

Question Towing with XC60 D5 AWD R Design SE

I've just put a deposit down on a XC60 D5AWD R Design (Manual).
I'm hoping even with the sports suspension it will tow our caravan without any problems.
I would appricaite any feedback from members who have expereience towing a caravan with the XC60.
I know it was awarded tow car of the year 2009.

I will send over images of my new baby once she's been delivered.

Thanks,
mb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 19:47   #2
HairyMonster

The car tows like a dream very stable with plenty of grunt!
my van weighs in around 1600kg although I opted for the load compensating rear suspension and geartronic g/box.

I average 25mpg towing

the sports suspension will probably make for a better tow
HairyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 09:12   #3
SKH
SKH

Best car ive ever towed with in 20 years+.

Our van is about 1500kg, standard suspension.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 23:25   #4
Ransman
Master Member

It's the What Car tow car of the year
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/volv...-awards/240868
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ransman For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2010, 00:12   #5
beat106

Exclamation Luk ie volvo

watch the dualmass flywheel thats a volvo bad sting , not shure if you can get a old school cluch plate & flywheel for that model .70k V 10.000miles DMF ouch mothers
beat106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 18:58   #6
Rackingman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat106 View Post
watch the dualmass flywheel thats a volvo bad sting , not shure if you can get a old school cluch plate & flywheel for that model .70k V 10.000miles DMF ouch mothers
My XC60 (205) MY2010 geartronic tows very well, it is very stable well above the legal limit even when passing HGV's, and it will go like hell, if you ask it. I did not go for load comp. suspension because it made my previous V70 a harsher ride. Your sports suspension will be much the same I suspect. It is a great tow car, it holds all the caravan kit in the boot with easy access and the standard strap over mirrors fit without problem.

I tow a 1750Kg Vanmaster and get 27MPG which is improving as the engine loosens up, last tow was with 8500 miles on it and it went to Highland Scotland with never a thought about the steep inclines - hills, what hills!! If I had any complaint it would be that the Geartronic is too slow to change down, it will sit at 1500revs even going up hill and needs to be manually selected to get the best out of it.
Rackingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 18:10   #7
scotgc

Default Question

What was the tow weight ratio for this outfit? I've just bought an Elddis Crusader Tornado with an MTPLM of 1650kg and a MIRO of 1445kg. Kerb weight of a D5 205ps geartronic is 1858kg. Looks like this is slightly heavy coming an at 87% towing ratio.
scotgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 15:25   #8
Rackingman

You, like many others, take too much notice of the caravan club. According to them a Freelander wont pull the skin off a rice pudding but you see plenty towing big caravans at club sites.

I towed my Vanmaster loaded up to 1730kgs to Portugal and back 6 times in 5 years without a hiccup with my previous V70 D5 which was a 106% match. In the 7 years I had the V70 (now a gift to my daughter to keep her and my grandson safe) I towed for just shy of 30,000 miles so I hope I can call myself "experienced". The XC60 is a MUCH MUCH better tow car. It has the additional 4 wheel drive traction and, more importantly in my opinion, the smaller rear wheel body overhang putting the tow ball closer to the rear axle make it a superb tow vehicle. The engine torque is phenomenal.

We could discuss weight ratio's for years and the caravan clubs attitude to it for longer than that but may I suggest you visit the What Tow Car. Com outfit matching website (I do it via Google). You will find my outfit, (and yours), gets the five star treatment even if both caravans are a bit heavy. Hope that answers you question.
Rackingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 17:16   #9
Lexon

I have checked on What tow car for a match with a Bailey Unicorn Barcelona Twin tplm 1756 Kg.
They have the kerb weight of the XC60 D5 Auto at 1793 Kg.I have weighed mine at the local weigh bridge with a full tank of fuel (no driver or equipment) I have the official certificate and photo. Weight was 1910 Kg.
I think the tow car match at 98% is incorrect.
So far I have only collected it from the dealers about 15 miles away. Going out this weekend to the Peak District.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 18:27   #10
scotgc

Default What towcar.com

Need to just bear in mind that this website is dutch and gives the kerbweight for dutch spec vehicles. I checked with Volvo UK and the weight of the UK spec is significantly higher (see thread in general section headed detachable towbar).

Sensible weight distribution between the car and caravan will help out where van to car ratios get a bit too close.
scotgc is offline   Reply With Quote