Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VIDA/DiCE ABS anti skid lights.

Views : 257

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2024, 22:14   #1
Caroleuk

Default VIDA/DiCE ABS anti skid lights.

Hi, I have a 2005 V70 D5 and the dreaded ABS and anti skid lights keep coming on then going out again (I believe this is due to failed solder joints on the circuit board)
I have been reading quite a few threads that suggest the use of VIDA/DiCE Diagnostics
I have looked at such things on Ebay and Amazon but they all look a bit suspect to me yet I still read post of people who have used them from these sites.
So my Questions are...
How can I tell a good one from a bad one?
And will they work?
The reason I'm looking for one is that I will need to send my ABS pump and controller of the be refurbished and having done so I will then need to bleed the brakes (at least I presume I will having disconnected the pump?)

Thank you for and help or advice you can give.
Carole.
Caroleuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 22:28   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

your anti skid / abs light is more than likely a cracked reluctor ring abt £6 replace ment part or the abs sensor again cheap easy fix vida would lead you straight to the correct diagnosis
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 05:09   #3
pupley

The ABS and AntiSkid could be a couple of things and AFAIK there are essentially three different "ABS" or "AntiSkid" errors that can be displayed in different combinations, possibly with the ABS light on permanently or after short driving depending on type of fault.

Determine which of these to help narrow down (or expand) possibilities. But no substitute for a fault reader Vida (or other). IMO for the functionality you need, Vida laptop+Dice is most cost effective.

Stay away from phone apps and bluetooth dongles as they will read only engine codes, unless you want that quick convenience as part of your tool box. Ive had 2 Volvos, but only recently got a Vida after painfully procrastinating on all options (and buying a half decent dongle that didnt do what I needed no matter which free app I DL'd unless I paid as high as 50% of a Vida cost still no guarantee it would do everything i needed.

Better quality "readers" that will do everything generally start at £200ish or a little under, which would also get you a Vida Lappy+Dice that will do everything you could possibly need. Can be done cheaper iof your resourceful and can find a download of Vida and install, and buy a clone Dice. Easiest is a pre-installed second hand, working out the box which is what I got from someone selling on here. You want to get straight to fixing your problem, not rabbit holes). Had my 2nd volvo a while but only recently decided to tackle some issues repairs and faults, and went though all this so its a fresh experience, and its paid for itself instantly.

Regarding the dash warning.
1. Is it "ABS/AntiSkid Service Required" together with ABS light on? - If so possible sensor OR reluctor ring. In short it needs diagnostic read out to determine which wheel it is, then inspect toothed reluctor ring. If ring OK then probable sensor at that wheel.
2. Does the ABS light and message show after starting the engine but before moving off ie on permanently? OR...
3. Does it register and display the message on only after going above 40/50mph?
4. Do you get a message reading "AntiSkid temporarily off"? If so, does the message come on and off while turning steering wheel with engine on but vehicle stationary? - If so, could point to steering angle sensor starting to fail (or much less likely a front sensor wiring is breaking/shorting on itself).
5. Do you get a message "Brake Assist Service Required"? - If so is light on permanently or only after driving short distance or after first using brakes or after going over 40/50mph?

Tried to be concisely comprehensive, but often turns into an essay.

A faulty Pump module is likely to throw a permanently on warning message and ABS light once its detected. You likely have just a ring/sensor or SAS fault if lights comes and goes. Also the module can be removed without removing the pump, so no need to disconnect brake lines. Search youtube vids plenty showing this to give you an idea. Three torx bolts hold module to pump.
pupley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pupley For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 05:32   #4
MWMan
Master Member

I purchased a VIDA Dice kit from Ebay back in 2016, I had an old Toshiba laptop which I used to load the VIDA software, and after much pain and hassle, finally got it going. I have used it many times over the years, but a few weeks ago, I took it out and could not get the DICE unit to connect to the laptop.

I decided to take the plunge and buy a new laptop and connecting cable. I purchased a setup from a firm called jmdiagnostics on Ebay. The unit was delivered on Easter Saturday. It was a Dell Laptop in very good condition and way faster than my old Toshiba. I set it up, but had a query about the Windows license notification that came up. I sent a note to them via the Ebay website and got a reply back on Easter Sunday!! I have never had that type of communication ever on Ebay. I have used it quite a few times in the past few weeks (issues with the car), and it has been very good.

I have no connection to this firm, and I believe there may be others on the forum who can provide this setup. I have no doubt that it can also be purchased cheaper than I paid. However, I am quite satisfied.
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 15:54   #5
marcb
Master Member

See if you can find someone within reasonable distance who has Vida and can read the codes for you (that's what this forum is for) or get a garage to do it as most have code readers that will diagnose this.
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marcb For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 15:56   #6
Caroleuk

Sorry pupley I should have said that I have already cleaned all the rings and they are all intact and in good order.
I have also checked the sensors and cleaned them all and they also look fine.
The lights don't come on at all when the car is first driven, it only happens after a brief spell switched off (filling with fuel, shopping or similar) then it comes on as soon as the car is started again?
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 16:33   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

cleaning sensor will do nothing you need to test them with a multi meter. it only takes a minute crack or a discrepancy in the shape of the teeth on the ring due to rust to flag a fault . diagnostics will point you directly to the cause.

Last edited by Simmy; Apr 28th, 2024 at 16:36.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 16:41   #8
Caroleuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
cleaning sensor will do nothing you need to test them with a multi meter. it only takes a minute crack or a discrepancy in the shape of the teeth on the ring due to rust to flag a fault . diagnostics will point you directly to the cause.
Yes I did test them and no crack's infact they were all changed by the previous owner before I bought the car.
Sorry but I should have explained all that at the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caroleuk For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 16:54   #9
JoeNinety

Have you checked that your driveshaft bolts are up nice and tight ?
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoeNinety For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 17:44   #10
pupley

What are the exact message/s you get. One or two messages?

Sounds like it could well be a heat induced/related electrical issue. Either engine heat, or a bad solder joint/failing PCB component or bad earth. A poor electrical connection/solder joint can heat up when current passes through it, which in turn increases resistance, creating more heat and more resistance/heat...you get the idea. Also check condition of battery even though no battery/charging warnings.

This needs reading of fault codes without question. Get your Vida/Dice (or equivalent) or go to garage before attempting any repairs. Your instinct about ABS pump module is understandable given the fault conditions, diagnose it first. Clean all earth points between body/engine/engine loom under the bonnet (remove and clean) and battery earth to body.
pupley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pupley For This Useful Post:

Tags
abs, anti skid, dice, v70, vida