Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Engine System Service Required" + Orange triangle

Views : 441

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread : ajm

Old Apr 20th, 2024, 17:28   #1
r0ber

Default "Engine System Service Required" + Orange triangle

Hello!
I am going to purchase a 2003 V70 2.4 NA 140 hp.

It has "Engine System Service Required" + Orange triangle warning, and car is in limp mode. That happened when the owner started the car with a booster because the battery is dead.

Owner thinks it is a bad ignition coil (a year ago did the same with two bad ignitions coils, only replaced that two).

He can't read DTCs. He is from a forum where I write too (not Volvo) and I trust him. The problem is I am about 400 miles away. Price is very good.

My insurance will not tow the car if the technical inspection is out of date (Yes, it is out of date).

So my plan is take a train with 5 ignition coils and spark plugs, VIDA and some other spare sensors I have at home.
What do you think guys? If I can't take out from the limp mode and drive to my home it would be perfect.

Any suggestion are welcomed.

Last edited by r0ber; Apr 20th, 2024 at 17:34.
r0ber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 17:55   #2
Chris1Roll

It could just be the low voltage that has caused it.
Last time I left the ignition on on ours about a year ago, and had to jump start it, it threw an absolute fit - every warning message you could think of. Engine, gearbox, ABS etc.
And the electric seats lay themselves down, which was entertaining.
After TWO rounds of clearing errors in VIDA its been fine since.
You might get lucky!

If the battery is 'dead dead' you'll need a fresh one.
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 19:07   #3
r0ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1Roll View Post
Last time I left the ignition on on ours about a year ago, and had to jump start it, it threw an absolute fit - every warning message you could think of. Engine, gearbox, ABS etc.
You might get lucky!

Thank you very much!
Yeah, last night I was reading a lot of info (maybe too much) and somewhere I read what you said. Lets see if I am lucky

About battery: I sending a new one to the owners home to change in first place.

Besides that the car has half tank of two years old gas...
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 19:49   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Bring some hose and a vessel and syphon some out and inspect. Lots of people's "vehicle resurrection" stories fear the old gas. Many are told not to fret.
Also, I don't see any "old fuel ruined my day" posts. If the car buffs have a time dead line for fuel age, I haven't heard it.

Is there electricity there? for a small compressor. Check oil level before an 8 hour drive.
Raining? Check for washer fluid and blade function. A filthy smeary windshield can kill you on a long drive.

Search MM throttle body for the story about the ETM. In brief: A bad ETM is removed (easy) and sent to a place for rebuilding, as your own ETM is coded to the car.

If the accelerator reacts funny or if the engine 'hunts' at idle, you got a worn one. No problem to drive home.

Check the instrument cluster for chrome rings......
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 20:18   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

stale fuel is mentioned from time to time over on the mini forum but bear in mind of course some of those are 30-40-50-60 year old cars

and they do say, the old ones with simple breathers to the atmosphere (old carb models) suffer more than the 'sealed' mpi / spi models of more recent times

I guess it's about whether air and therefore moisture has got in, and then they go on about modern fuels being worse for moisture and so on

I'm sure if you turn up with VIDA under one arm and a fully charged battery you can't go too far wrong

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Apr 20th, 2024 at 20:20.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 16:25   #6
r0ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Bring some hose and a vessel and syphon some out and inspect. Lots of people's "vehicle resurrection" stories fear the old gas. Many are told not to fret.
Also, I don't see any "old fuel ruined my day" posts. If the car buffs have a time dead line for fuel age, I haven't heard it.

Is there electricity there? for a small compressor. Check oil level before an 8 hour drive.
Raining? Check for washer fluid and blade function. A filthy smeary windshield can kill you on a long drive.

Search MM throttle body for the story about the ETM. In brief: A bad ETM is removed (easy) and sent to a place for rebuilding, as your own ETM is coded to the car.

If the accelerator reacts funny or if the engine 'hunts' at idle, you got a worn one. No problem to drive home.

I am taking with me a bunch of tools in my baggage (I am going by train). Seller is very kind and he is going to help me with some logistics.

I have read about the MM. If I no mistaken my 2000 V70 2.4T have one but I am lucky until today

What it is the thing about the "chrome rings"?

Thank you for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
stale fuel is mentioned from time to time over on the mini forum but bear in mind of course some of those are 30-40-50-60 year old cars

and they do say, the old ones with simple breathers to the atmosphere (old carb models) suffer more than the 'sealed' mpi / spi models of more recent times

I guess it's about whether air and therefore moisture has got in, and then they go on about modern fuels being worse for moisture and so on

I'm sure if you turn up with VIDA under one arm and a fully charged battery you can't go too far wrong
I think I will fill the tank with high octane gas (98 in my country) and the rest I will check with VIDA.
Seller is going to charge the battery (is one year old, I thought it was older but not. Just he does not use de the car) and if it is definitely dead I will buy one there.

Thank you guys.
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 16:57   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

[QUOTE=r0ber;2946397]Hello!

It has "Engine System Service Required" + Orange triangle warning, and car is in limp mode. That happened when the owner started the car with a booster because the battery is dead.

Owner thinks it is a bad ignition coil (a year ago did the same with two bad ignitions coils, only replaced that two).

He can't read DTCs. He is from a forum where I write too (not Volvo) and I trust him. The problem is I am about 400 miles away. Price is very good.

My insurance will not tow the car if the technical inspection is out of date (Yes, it is out of date).

So my plan is take a train with 5 ignition coils and spark plugs, VIDA and some other spare sensors I have at home.
What do you think guys? If I can't take out from the limp mode and drive to my home it would be perfect.

Any suggestion are welcomed.[/QUOTE

a good battery is a must have before attempting to read any codes remember to read off the delivery tab as these are the current codes initial state tells what codes have been stored previously then you can act accordingly replacing any part which may have caused the limp mode good luck i hope all goes well
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 07:46   #8
r0ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1Roll View Post
You might get lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post

[QUOTE=Simmy;2946524]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ber View Post
Hello!

Any suggestion are welcomed.[/QUOTE

a good battery is a must have before attempting to read any codes remember to read off the delivery tab as these are the current codes initial state tells what codes have been stored previously then you can act accordingly replacing any part which may have caused the limp mode good luck i hope all goes well

Successful mission!! Thank you guys!

So... I took some tools, wife and went by train 600 kms away for pick up the 2003 V70 2.4 140 hp. Car was showing Engine System Service Required + Orange triangle warning, and was in limp mode.

As the seller suspected a bad ignition coil could be the cause. And yes, the misfire was in the cylinder 2.
I replaced the 5 ingnition coils and spark plugs (Amazon, I ordered there because I need very fast the parts) but one of the was another model with bigger head: 18 mm, 19 mm... instead the 16 mm. I saw after put it and turn with the rubber of the tool. My wife had to look for pliers in some shop. Luckily I could remove it, and reinstall an old one.

Ok, and this point limp mode was gone. Still have Engine System Service Required + Orange triangle warning and DTC ECM-930C Clutch Position Sensor - Faulty signal.

Put some 98 octane gas for mix with the old 95 and made a 30 kms road test. Everything was fine except Cruise control (VIDA says because ECM-930C Clutch Position Sensor - Faulty signal) and the lack of power compared with my 2.4T stage 1

Ah, seller told me we was going to recharge battery when I said I wanted to buy a new one. I was one year old and didn't know if It was really dead. Looks it is fine (finger crossed)

After the test drive I was happy We went to visit the city and next day leave driving the Volvo.

Yesterday, already at home, I fixed the Clutch Position Sensor with a resistor as I saw here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjnPWieNtM4

So... I was lucky. Everything was fine!

THANK YOU GUYS!
Old Today, 18:14   #9
DoneThatXC70

Default XC70 with similar issue.

Hi guys,

I am going to hijack this one since I have a similar problem. I have a 2007 XC70 D5 Manual 345k. Runs fine and has had most things done. I installed a new radio which required me to disconnect the Climate control and also had a pending service light from a service which was done 5k ago. I have gotten a version of VIDA and a Mountgoose reader to reset both codes which worked like a dream.

Issue is now and I dont know if the are related, that I have the same issue like the car in this pose. I get a error message saying 'System Motor Revison needed' and the car seems to be in limp mode. (no turbo can be felt)

From the VIDA I have the attached Error message from the turbo but not sure if it just needs a few VIDA wipes or if something else is actually wrong.

Image here:

The other units on the bus with errors are a internal airsensor which is faulty and the steering audio control which is disconnected nothing really bad.

so is this reset I did trigger something with the turbo or is this just luck?
DoneThatXC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 22:08   #10
Simmy
Premier Member

this car has had this fault a long time it states 567 times /cycles i would guess this car has been remapped look at the ecm with the advanced tab after entering vehicle communications to see further into the problem. read modules that show faults
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote