Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Rustberg

Views : 7614

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2023, 20:06   #11
Jackman

Yes the car is bad but its been repaired in the way I would have expected it to have been over the years.

I remember my parents 80's 240 and my dad repairing rust holes with chicken wire and filler as well as bean cans for the exhaust.

Can this be repaired, I dont see why not its just going to take awhile to fabricate panels where they are needed.

I do also have the Amazon... thats my other project that has not been finished yet due to not having space for it where I was previously living. I finally managed to get it to my current house last year and have done a bit of work on it but the 240 now takes priority as its sat on the driveway.

Edit:

Was also impressed you linked the car to the registration.

Last edited by Jackman; Apr 27th, 2023 at 20:14.
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 20:20   #12
Levonsrealm
240 user and non-abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
Well all I can say is I dont do things because they are easy, I do them because I am stupid.

Yes, I am the owner of the vehicle.

No, I did not view the vehicle beforehand, and to be fair I would not have seen the horrors underneath even if I did (Its a bit rude to go around poking holes in the car)

I knew the MOT history first and for a car of its age its what I expected with the one advisory on the spare wheel well.

This was not meant to be a restoration as I am still in the long term restoration of another Volvo which I was also told to just scrap.

Original plan was to fix the rear end and then use it after the engine got serviced. Now its a bit more involved.
Would be great to see how you get on with the vehicle!

keep us posted, either in videos or on here. I may stray from this group from time to time but I tend to come back to the threads that niggle at me.
Levonsrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Levonsrealm For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 20:22   #13
Levonsrealm
240 user and non-abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
… as I said in the above Jackman: ‘you are a better man than I am, Gunga Din!’.

I am really impressed that you are going to stick at it and repair the 244, I really like the model (I had a 1980 244 until recently and now have a 1982 240 saloon); I hope you will start a project thread and keep us informed of progress.

Good fortune,

Alan

PS. We are all stupid - none of this old Volvo stuff makes any sense
Hey! Speak for yourself! I am still in my honeymoon period with my daily driver that hasn't been daily driven in over a month. . . . . mhmm perhaps you are right.
Levonsrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Levonsrealm For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 21:16   #14
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes the car is bad but its been repaired in the way I would have expected it to have been over the years.

I remember my parents 80's 240 and my dad repairing rust holes with chicken wire and filler as well as bean cans for the exhaust.

Can this be repaired, I dont see why not its just going to take awhile to fabricate panels where they are needed.

I do also have the Amazon... thats my other project that has not been finished yet due to not having space for it where I was previously living. I finally managed to get it to my current house last year and have done a bit of work on it but the 240 now takes priority as its sat on the driveway.

Edit:

Was also impressed you linked the car to the registration.
Re: the registration. That was just a fortuitous coincidence. In the 'Seriously' thread (under 200 Sales) another member (Andrew I think) had spotted the eBay ad a few months ago; another member noticed it was the same motor car as in the Simpson's Classics video just a day or two ago. The seller had included the registration number in the eBay listing. All I did was put two and two together:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=4706

... einfach.

Re: The Amazon. I enjoyed reading the thread, it was cantering along at a good pace until it stopped dead in 2014. I was really impressed by what you had done - I think I'd have scrapped the motor car long before then. Here is a link to Great Aunt Maud's journal thread in case you fancy some light reading:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322606

... it does go on a bit.

Re: The 244. Of course it can be fixed. You know it makes no sense of course, it would be far more efficient to buy a better motor car .

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 27th, 2023 at 21:46.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 21:18   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levonsrealm View Post
Hey! Speak for yourself! I am still in my honeymoon period with my daily driver that hasn't been daily driven in over a month. . . . . mhmm perhaps you are right.
... I was very much speaking for myself. Older Volvos and motorcycles are afflictions from which I suffer.

Last edited by Othen; Apr 27th, 2023 at 21:48. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2023, 18:55   #16
Jackman

Not got around to doing a project topic yet however filmed some footage of how bad things were in places

https://youtu.be/ZwUTG-PmSqg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2023, 19:31   #17
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Not got around to doing a project topic yet however filmed some footage of how bad things were in places

https://youtu.be/ZwUTG-PmSqg
Thank you Jackman, I have left a comment on the YouTube page asking for the posts to continue.

You are brave indeed in saving this one - I wish you every good fortune.

Alan
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 19:41   #18
Jackman

https://youtu.be/MgHpqPdlZL0

There is now another update on the Rustberg. I've been working on the wheel well. I am further ahead than this video but there is alot of work required to fix this car.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 22:38   #19
Bob 1967
Master Member

Same rusty bits in the rear windows as mine.
I dealt with them, of course.

I wouldn't have saved a car as bad as the Rustburg though, I don't have the facilities! or the faculties to be honest.

Last edited by Bob 1967; Jun 29th, 2023 at 22:43.
Bob 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob 1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 22:48   #20
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
https://youtu.be/MgHpqPdlZL0

There is now another update on the Rustberg. I've been working on the wheel well. I am further ahead than this video but there is alot of work required to fix this car.
My word Jackman, you are a brave chap. Well done for being so resolute, I’m pretty sure I’d have given up on the Rustberg some time ago.

Alan