Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aftermarket Brake Pad Recommendation ??

Views : 1206

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2020, 17:18   #11
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Strange as it seems I transitioned from Peugeot V6 406 Coupes to a go almost anywhere and carry almost anything vehicle and once I had had the Polestar upgrade done I found that the D5 XC70 was every bit as powerful as the 3.0 V6 and while it didn't look as achingly beautiful as the Pininfarina designed and built long range high speed cruiser, it would actually do everything that the coupe would do and more some. With the stiffest setting on the 4C suspension and the Polestar's 230 bhp it holds the road as well and accelerates as well and carries a sideboard in the back! And on the benchmark west bound bend on the A35 New Forest road the XC70 sticks to its track at unpublishable cornering speeds that the Peugeot wouldn't have exceeded and still has extra in hand coming out of the bend to put a smile on my face. On an Autobahn the XC70 can cruise all day at well over 100 mph and the seats are so comfortable that you feel as fresh getting out of it as you did getting in. It isn't a pretty car and no one turns to look at it like they did at the 406 but from the driver's seat it still has sufficient fast car credentials to dull the pain of giving up a rare Italian built 2+2 GT. A lot of BMWs have been surprised by my XC70!

In case you don't recognise the Peugeot, this is it!

and the XC70 might not look as sexy but it holds its own on the open road. I promise not to publish any more pictures of the 406!
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 21:07   #12
V70greg

Very true,

I once got caught out by a Peugeot 405 Mi16 in my E36 M3, their are plenty of wolfs in sheep's clothing out their of which Volvo has many.

What ever happened to Peugeot they used to make interesting cars

All that spirited driving though requires some adequate brake pads
V70greg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V70greg For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 22:53   #13
Agro

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
....I'm genuinely and respectfully curious as to why some who wants a "fast road" driving experience would buy an XC70?
Quote:
Originally Posted by V70greg View Post
Agreed maybe he is carrying a full car and trailer and needs the additional braking for higher loads

or just refuses to give up on his younger sportier car days days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Strange as it seems I transitioned from Peugeot V6 406 Coupes to a go almost anywhere and carry almost anything vehicle and once I had had the Polestar upgrade done I found that the D5 XC70 was every bit as powerful as the 3.0 V6 and while it didn't look as achingly beautiful as the Pininfarina designed and built long range high speed cruiser, it would actually do everything that the coupe would do and more some. With the stiffest setting on the 4C suspension and the Polestar's 230 bhp it holds the road as well and accelerates as well and carries a sideboard in the back! And on the benchmark west bound bend on the A35 New Forest road the XC70 sticks to its track at unpublishable cornering speeds that the Peugeot wouldn't have exceeded and still has extra in hand coming out of the bend to put a smile on my face. On an Autobahn the XC70 can cruise all day at well over 100 mph and the seats are so comfortable that you feel as fresh getting out of it as you did getting in. It isn't a pretty car and no one turns to look at it like they did at the 406 but from the driver's seat it still has sufficient fast car credentials to dull the pain of giving up a rare Italian built 2+2 GT. A lot of BMWs have been surprised by my XC70!
Hahaha,

Yep I want it all, or as much as I can get in one unassuming box.

And definitely YES, I do refuse to give up on my younger rev head years . Some of my earlier cars, showing my age a bit here:
1. Mini Cooper S Mk2
2. Torana GTR XU1 LC (aussie made coupe)
3. Fiat 124 Sport
4. Triumph Dolomite Sprint
5. Alfa GTV 2000

Also from what I've seen on offer out there, there isn't anything that can do everything my XC70 does. I've looked at a number of the 3.0lt turbo diesels including Audi Q5, BMW X3, VW Toureg, even a Porsche Macan in desperation, all a bunch of slugs thanks to a single turbo - the Porsche was the most disappointing. In all cases my pre-nivomat 2014 car is more responsive in performance and handling. Only BMW X4 and Jag F-Pace drive better but neither have rear seats that can fold down flat and the former couldn't even be bothered offering a spare tyre. And I'm not paying, in some cases well in excess of $100K, for something that doesn't meet all my criteria. As a result I've decided to keep my car and add some basic improvements.

So there you have it.

Last edited by Agro; Aug 21st, 2020 at 23:28.
Agro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Agro For This Useful Post: