Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intake air temperature sensor

Views : 480

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2024, 15:01   #1
bananarama

Default Intake air temperature sensor

My dad's 2011 D3 has the P0096 error code - Intake air temperature (IAT) sensor 2 - circuit range/performance.

Is this a MAF issue?
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 18:15   #2
FreshAir

Isn't this in the sensor on the intercooler outlet that does pressure and temperature?
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 20:39   #3
bananarama

Maybe! What's confusing me is that a search for "Volvo S60 2011 D3 P0096" gives me pictures of the MAF
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 23:48   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

If there was a fault with the TMAP sensor (the one on the intercooler), normally that would say something like "Barometric pressure correlation".

Are you using VIDA or a generic code reader?

I think the MAF and MAP sensors look very similar though, maybe that's why there's some confusion.

The MAF is easy to get to. You could remove it, give it a spray of electrical contact cleaner, refit and wipe the code... see if the code comes back or not. Make sure the engine is off/ignition isn't on when you do this. Also ensure the sensor is thoroughly dry before you refit it.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 21st, 2024 at 23:51.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 13:33   #5
hal9000f

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
Maybe! What's confusing me is that a search for "Volvo S60 2011 D3 P0096" gives me pictures of the MAF

If it turns out to be the MAF, this could help perhaps:

MAF Mass Airflow Sensor Possible Cheap Fix / Replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtQnE1QW-jU

(Secure Five star Torx screw to unscrew)

BOSCH F 00C 2G2 064
hal9000f is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hal9000f For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 15:53   #6
bananarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
If there was a fault with the TMAP sensor (the one on the intercooler), normally that would say something like "Barometric pressure correlation".

Are you using VIDA or a generic code reader?

I think the MAF and MAP sensors look very similar though, maybe that's why there's some confusion.

The MAF is easy to get to. You could remove it, give it a spray of electrical contact cleaner, refit and wipe the code... see if the code comes back or not. Make sure the engine is off/ignition isn't on when you do this. Also ensure the sensor is thoroughly dry before you refit it.
Just to clarify, there are 3 sensors: MAF, TMAP and MAP? Only the first 2 will include temperature?

I'm using the Car Scanner app on my phone along with a Bluetooth OBD (I would prefer VIDA but haven't got round to it). A month ago on my 2011 V70 D3 I replaced the TMAP sensor and it was obvious from the error code it was that sensor. On my dad's S60 (same engine and year) it's not obvious to me. Either way I'll clean the sensors, clear the codes, and check the temperature readings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9000f View Post
If it turns out to be the MAF, this could help perhaps:

MAF Mass Airflow Sensor Possible Cheap Fix / Replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtQnE1QW-jU

(Secure Five star Torx screw to unscrew)

BOSCH F 00C 2G2 064
I like this guy, very soothing voice and great educator
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 23:23   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
Just to clarify, there are 3 sensors: MAF, TMAP and MAP? Only the first 2 will include temperature?

I'm using the Car Scanner app on my phone along with a Bluetooth OBD (I would prefer VIDA but haven't got round to it). A month ago on my 2011 V70 D3 I replaced the TMAP sensor and it was obvious from the error code it was that sensor. On my dad's S60 (same engine and year) it's not obvious to me. Either way I'll clean the sensors, clear the codes, and check the temperature readings.

I like this guy, very soothing voice and great educator
I just did a bit of research...

The MAF and IAT sensor are built in together, so two sensors into one... this is positioned near the airbox. The TMAP sensor is on the intercooler and the MAP sensor is near the intake manifold. As you're getting an IAT code, I think you need to clean/replace the sensor near the airbox...

This video below shows how to get to the MAF/IAT sensor on a euro 5 diesel engine... yours should be the same I think.

The person talking on the video makes it sound like there's two individual sensors, but I can only see one. I don't think there's two, its two rolled into one. Hope that makes sense. Oh... don't use compressed air to clean it like this guy! Use MAF cleaner or electrical contact spray. Make sure the engine is off and the sensors are completely dry before you refit them. Contact cleaner evaporates fairly quickly anyway, but you could give the sensor a shake around to get any excess drips off. I normally spray them and leave for 5-10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76np53Z-5tQ
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 11:43   #8
bananarama

Yeah I had a look at my D3 this morning and saw the MAF sensor glued to the cylinder which means buying the entire unit if it needs replacing.

No worries then, thanks to everyone for the advice. I shall post an update soon after I tinker with my dad's car.
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 13:23   #9
apersson850
Premier Member

I looked in the wiring diagrams.
Diesels like the D3 2011 have the MAF sensor to measure the airflow, a combined TMAP sensor to measure temperature and pressure after the intercooler (difficult to reach on Euro 5 engines, easier on older Euro 4) and then also an intake pressure sensor high up on the engine.

There's a separate air intake temperature sensor, but only on 4-cylinder engines.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 14:53   #10
bananarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
I looked in the wiring diagrams.
Diesels like the D3 2011 have the MAF sensor to measure the airflow, a combined TMAP sensor to measure temperature and pressure after the intercooler (difficult to reach on Euro 5 engines, easier on older Euro 4) and then also an intake pressure sensor high up on the engine.
So the MAF sensor on the 2011 D3 does not measure air temperature?

Either way, I'll make sure the sensors get a decent clean, reset the codes, and see what values they read. I can always swap his sensors for mine if the issue is not obvious.

Last edited by bananarama; Feb 23rd, 2024 at 15:19.