Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rain water in interior light

Views : 784

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2022, 10:27   #1
VolvoRob38

Default Rain water in interior light

Hi all,

Ive got a leak coming in from somewhere which I can only assume is through the windscreen seal.

It started as a very little pool in the interior light which I hardly noticed initially, and only came to my attention when removing the plastic cover to replace a bulb. Then I started noticing drips around the gear stick after heavy rain, but were so minimal I just wiped them away with my hand.
I removed the interior light completely to try an identify exactly where water was getting. It seems to be getting worse, unless its just that I have removed anything stopping it from running straight in. After VERY heavy rain yesterday morning my interior; gear stick, middle cup holders, were soaked and pooled with water.

Looking for a source of entry I saw drips from my interior mirror!

As the roof is one solid piece of metal I can only assume its getting in through the windscreen seal, as this overlaps the area of the interior light.

Has anyone else had something similar, and can confirm it is/was the windscreen seal? I could do with being sure before calling autoglass (or someone cheaper) to come and re fit my windscreen.

TIA
Old Mar 31st, 2022, 10:47   #2
iainmd

I've sent you a private message on this @VolvoRob38

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2022, 18:47   #3
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
I've sent you a private message on this @VolvoRob38
Hi Iain, thanks for the message. For some reason I can't reply, I tried twice but my sent folder still says 0.

My windscreen does push out which I thought wasnt right, and now pretty confident thats the issue after reading your message.
I do have a rain sensor so expecting this to be pricey after getting a quote from auto glass for £581. Hoping I can find someone to do a foreigner a bit cheaper.

Either that or Im selling to get a van lol, which ever cones first.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 31st, 2022, 20:37   #4
PNM

My windscreen was leaking and was able to push it out at the top. I had a local company remove and refit it for £80, including refitting the rain sensor. Might be worth having a ring around for a better quote.
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNM For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 00:36   #5
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM View Post
My windscreen was leaking and was able to push it out at the top. I had a local company remove and refit it for £80, including refitting the rain sensor. Might be worth having a ring around for a better quote.
£80!!!? That sounds more like it

I have started to ask about today. Did you get it done fairly recently? Can you remember the name of the place?
Im in North Wales but if I cant find it that cheap closer to home it might be worth a drive.

Thanks
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 08:20   #6
PNM

It was this guy https://midlandsvehicleglass.co.uk/
I had it done in Nov 2018 so the price might have increased slightly since then.

He said he does a lot of remove and reseal jobs of volvos of this generation. It didn't take him long and there was no mess or collateral damage to anything. Not had any issues with it since.
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PNM For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 09:11   #7
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRob38 View Post
Hi Iain, thanks for the message. For some reason I can't reply, I tried twice but my sent folder still says 0.
I got both your replies OK :-)

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 12:54   #8
VolvoRob38

Cheers guys