Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pothole woe!

Views : 2000

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2018, 07:27   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
I stopped to have a look, no damage to the alloy wheel, but a big bulge in the sidewall of my nearside front Pirelli PZero 255/35 R20 97W tyre...bugger!

....I'm only going to replace the damaged one with a direct replacement Pirelli which is going to cost me around £153!!
That's a good price.

I need new Pirelli P ZEROs for my 20 inch rims and here in Switzerland they cost the equivalent of 260 GBP... each... plus fitting...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 23:39   #12
J30 YAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop north View Post
That would be fraudulent...
There is always one
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 07:53   #13
MOzS90

Quote:
Originally Posted by J30 YAP View Post
There is always one
He works for Staffordshire Highways Department......
MOzS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 10:14   #14
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oop north View Post
That would be fraudulent...
Allowing the roads to get into such a state where they are a danger is criminal. (Actually a civil offence - that of negligence)
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 10:35   #15
NigelDay
Premier Member

You have my sympathies but this is a high risk with low profile tyres on today's roads. They may look nicer ex-showroom, but kerbing and potholes down the line can ruin the appearance.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 16:08   #16
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post

My understanding of the incidents like this is that Council can’t be held negligebt if they aren’t aware of the pothole. This is simply because there is no negligence involved as there is no way for them to repair it if they do not know the existence of the pothole. There are two ways that they would normally know the existence of potholes 1) Reported by someone and/or 2) They find it during their inspections.

If they said to you that it is the first report on that particular pothole then just to check it out what they are saying is correct maybe it is a good idea to access inspection reports relevant to that road and then take it from there.
On that basis, if you were the first to slip on a wet floor in a hotel, the hotel could claim they didn't know and so aren't negligent. As I handle insurance claims in said environment I can tell you that isn't so...
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isleaiw For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 21:13   #17
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Hopefully you'll get the money back but I wouldn't bank on it.

The state of the roads is appalling, makes you wonder what they spend all our road fund duty on Oh yeah it's not for the roads any longer it just goes into a big pot along with our NI contributions that were originally to fund NHS & pensions.

Rant Over.... back on topic.

I suspect that yours being the first report will mean they'll wriggle out of it but.... I'd put in an FOI request to find out all the potholes that have been reported.

Makes you want to start Spamming the council by reporting every hole that you come across.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 21:32   #18
4x4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
Makes you want to start Spamming the council by reporting every hole that you come across.
Doubt it would make the slightest difference. I reported a faulty street light in my street on 31st January via the local council web app. I received a nice reply next day stating it would be repaired within the next 30 days. Now the 1st of April and it still isn't repaired.
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 00:12   #19
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
Doubt it would make the slightest difference. I reported a faulty street light in my street on 31st January via the local council web app. I received a nice reply next day stating it would be repaired within the next 30 days. Now the 1st of April and it still isn't repaired.
Use buzzwords and phrases when reporting, like 'duty of care' and 'Imminent danger of injury or death' and 'responsibility' and 'liability'. End it with "you have now been informed of the danger and liability rests with you and your staff".

I did that, including map coordinates, about an appalling road surface on a bend that had been like it for weeks. Within four hours they had traffic lights there.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 00:27   #20
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
You have my sympathies but this is a high risk with low profile tyres on today's roads. They may look nicer ex-showroom, but kerbing and potholes down the line can ruin the appearance.
Life has been so much more harmonious hereabouts since Mrs BFB started driving on 216/65 R16s
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote