Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V6 not starting

Views : 10548

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2024, 23:29   #61
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That cap matches my current mental state - cracking up!

Seems like you've found an assortment of running problems there!

Hopefully sorting them and a few more tweaks to the injection and ignition timing with the new parts will see it running right again!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 13:14   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That cap matches my current mental state - cracking up!

Seems like you've found an assortment of running problems there!

Hopefully sorting them and a few more tweaks to the injection and ignition timing with the new parts will see it running right again!
Yes, I can completely relate to that!

It is certainly getting like 1 step forward, 3 backwards.

I manged to buy a 260 series Haynes manual on line this morning so hopefully this will help as well.

I think the hardest bit will be finding another clip for the dissy cap
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1978 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 13:43   #63
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Yes, I can completely relate to that!

I think the hardest bit will be finding another clip for the dissy cap
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145412841507

If memory serves, those are the same but worth checking with the seller to confirm and also if not, to see if they can supply the correct ones. Fairly certain Bosch used the same clips across all dizzys in the 70s/80s regardless of number of cylinders etc.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 22:53   #64

Quote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145412841507

If memory serves, those are the same but worth checking with the seller to confirm and also if not, to see if they can supply the correct ones. Fairly certain Bosch used the same clips across all dizzys in the 70s/80s regardless of number of cylinders etc.
Many thanks for the link, I'll check this out too. I have a dissy off a Rover V8 and checked that clip, the base where it clipped in didn't have the slot.
These are worth me contacting the seller.
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 00:21   #65
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Many thanks for the link, I'll check this out too. I have a dissy off a Rover V8 and checked that clip, the base where it clipped in didn't have the slot.
These are worth me contacting the seller.
Rover V8s had a Lucas dizzy so the clips won't match - really needs to be a Bosch dizzy. You mmight be lucky and find a Ford Bosch dizzy on ebay (even from a 4-pot) for spares/repairs for tuppence ha'penny and a brass farthing that would yield a clip to get you sorted. Had a quick look and found this but already missing a clip :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204635292349

Makes it an expensive clip though!

Looked at Vauxhall as well, even less choice there!

Old Feb 21st, 2024, 09:53   #66
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Default Distributor Cap:~ Clips

The picture shows the type of clip fitted to the Volvo 240:~
1988 2.0L Estate in this case but will apply to many others.

Any use?
Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dist 1.jpg (32.4 KB, 5 views)
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 21:37   #67

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
The picture shows the type of clip fitted to the Volvo 240:~
1988 2.0L Estate in this case but will apply to many others.

Any use?
Bob.
Thank for the links chaps. All sorted with the clips, plus new caps, leads, dissy back in. Got the exhaust back on after fitting new core plug. It would not start, so removed 1 of the injectors. No fuel at all. Removed 2 others just to make sure. Yep, nothing, I took the plunger out of the injection distributor and refitted it the other way up. A few seconds on the starter and fuel at the injectors, all good. Injectors were put back in, car started, but rang on 5 cylinders, then 4, 3, 2 and finally stopped, cranked it over and over. Removed a spark plug, soaking wet, dried it off, connected the HT lead and cranked it for spark....Nothing. No, not entirely true. It was sparking right down inside the plug.
Removed 5 plugs, dried them all off.
Again we checked the plugs for spark before refitting, all had good spark. Refitted them again, car starts, then slowly dies. Once again, Removed one plug, no spark and plug wet. Then noticed it was again sparking right down the bottom of the plug. I guess these new plugs are rubbish.
New set ordered. In the meantime, water pump has started to leak, great! Noticed this as the car has been sitting on the 2 post ramp for the last 2 weeks untouched. Today I see engine oil dripping every 4 seconds from the front engine cover, there is a pool of engine oil on the floor. I walked under the car not 1 hour ago and the floor was wet with coolant from the water pump. And now this.
I will post a photo of where the oil is dripping from, hopefully you guys might be able to help me.
I think this car is becoming a loosing battle, just on 6 grand spent on a 3 grand car, its really starting to get me down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240326_193947.jpg (136.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20240326_193931.jpg (195.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by 1978; Mar 26th, 2024 at 21:41.
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 23:50   #68
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sounds like Mr Magoo and his mates were all playing catch with your plugs before you got them. What make are they?

Sadly water pumps tend to do that after a long period of slumber when they are rudely awakedn by someone expecting something as unreasonable as for the engine to run!

Old Mar 27th, 2024, 08:20   #69

Quote:
Sounds like Mr Magoo and his mates were all playing catch with your plugs before you got them. What make are they?

Sadly water pumps tend to do that after a long period of slumber when they are rudely awakedn by someone expecting something as unreasonable as for the engine to run!

Thanks Dave, excellent diagnosis..lol
They are NGK, hopefully the NGK's they send are genuine ones.
Any idea why the oil is dripping out of this hole I the front cover?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240326_194240.jpg (204.2 KB, 7 views)
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 09:46   #70
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave, excellent diagnosis..lol
They are NGK, hopefully the NGK's they send are genuine ones.
Any idea why the oil is dripping out of this hole I the front cover?
Normally NGKs are good plugs and a safe bet from wherever they come from. I did have a bad set from my local parts factor who suggested they were fakes when i described the symptoms, similar to what you've described.

Then they asked where i got them from!

Told them and first they gave me a good price on the replacement set and second, explained there had been a lot of fakes doing the rounds.

Along similar lines, i heard of a major logistics firm who bought a new fleet of artic tractor units and they were fitted with Continental tyres from the factory. All the tyres turned out to be fakes. Cost them an absolute fortune and the dealer and manufacturer of the trucks denied all liability. This was ~15 years ago now.

As for that oil leak, it actually looks like it's coming from somewhere above, running down the front cover and pooling in that hole - i could be wrong but it's often a false flag when you see oil in a hole like that.