Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V6 not starting

Views : 10568

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2022, 22:22   #31
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
I have finally got around to starting the Volvo after fitting the new injectors, it just cranked and cranked, thought it might have needed bleeding until I cracked open the few injector connections to see air bubbles. Still would not start, so unscrewed the fuel line to the filter to find no fuel at all. It was out of gas So much for the fuel gauge showing 1/4 tank!
Fed a gallon of gas in her and after a few cranks she started. Then after a couple of minutes she started to run rough and rougher like she was over fuelling to the stage that it was hunting badly and choking herself up with fuel. It would clear if I revved the engine high but when it came back to idling it was back to hunting badly and after about 6 minutes it ran out of gas again.
I was thinking that the cold start valve had stuck open, I disconnected what I think is the cold start valve wiring but it still sounded like it was on full fuel.
Not being familiar with the engine component's, is there another part to disconnect to try and stop this over fuel issue.
Many thanks Peter
If it drank a gallon of petrol in 6 minutes, that's definitely over-fueling!

As for the cold start injector potentially being jammed open, if it is the clue is in the statement - removing the power feed to it won't alter it if it's physically stuck open.

However i think your problem is a bit more basic than that. I suspect because the original injectors were so dirty/gummed up, the mixture was progressively richened over the years to give a satisfactory idle. Bear in mind there is no closed loop mixture feedback as with a Lambda sensor and ECU, once the misture screw is set to rich, it stays there until altered again.

Imagine new injectors capable of flowing what they should running on a fuel distributor set to excessively rich to compensate for previously blocked injnectors!

You see where i'm going with this? It could also be the warm-up regulator on the fuel distributor but let's go for the most likely first. Find the mixture screw (3mm Allen key should fit) and turn it 1/3 turn (2 flats on the Allen Key) anticlockwise, refuel and try again. As it warms up , if/when it starts to run rough again, turn the Allen Key in 1/3 turn increments until it remains smooth. If you find it goes lean by turning 1/3 of a turn, go back halfway to where it was before (1/6 turn/1flat) clockwise.

Keep doing this until it warms up completely and runs satisfactorily, if you then have cold start problems it's time to look at the cold start injector but that might be working ok.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 22:43   #32

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If it drank a gallon of petrol in 6 minutes, that's definitely over-fueling!

As for the cold start injector potentially being jammed open, if it is the clue is in the statement - removing the power feed to it won't alter it if it's physically stuck open.

However i think your problem is a bit more basic than that. I suspect because the original injectors were so dirty/gummed up, the mixture was progressively richened over the years to give a satisfactory idle. Bear in mind there is no closed loop mixture feedback as with a Lambda sensor and ECU, once the misture screw is set to rich, it stays there until altered again.

Imagine new injectors capable of flowing what they should running on a fuel distributor set to excessively rich to compensate for previously blocked injnectors!

You see where i'm going with this? It could also be the warm-up regulator on the fuel distributor but let's go for the most likely first. Find the mixture screw (3mm Allen key should fit) and turn it 1/3 turn (2 flats on the Allen Key) anticlockwise, refuel and try again. As it warms up , if/when it starts to run rough again, turn the Allen Key in 1/3 turn increments until it remains smooth. If you find it goes lean by turning 1/3 of a turn, go back halfway to where it was before (1/6 turn/1flat) clockwise.

Keep doing this until it warms up completely and runs satisfactorily, if you then have cold start problems it's time to look at the cold start injector but that might be working ok.
Thank you again Laird Scooby, yes this does make a lot of sense now, that's tomorrow's job sorted then
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1978 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2022, 23:08   #33
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Let us know how it goes!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 15:08   #34

It may seem like a daft question but where is this small mixture screw.
I have a small screw in front of the fuel distributor which is screwed as far down as it will go, I can unscrew it anticlockwise but it is so loose in the threads I can unscrew with my fingers, so guessing isn't the mixture screw?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220307_140105 (Small).jpg (118.8 KB, 9 views)
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 15:28   #35
AndrewBrown

Quote:
It may seem like a daft question but where is this small mixture screw.
I have a small screw in front of the fuel distributor which is screwed as far down as it will go, I can unscrew it anticlockwise but it is so loose in the threads I can unscrew with my fingers, so guessing isn't the mixture screw?
do these pictures help
https://www.landiss.com/graphics/adjust1.jpg

https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/up...fuel_dissy.gif

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c...istributor.jpg

you might want to check the state of the oil seeing its been gulping down loads of fuel in a short space of time you may have some in the oil

hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2022, 20:24   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrown View Post
do these pictures help
https://www.landiss.com/graphics/adjust1.jpg

https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/up...fuel_dissy.gif

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c...istributor.jpg

you might want to check the state of the oil seeing its been gulping down loads of fuel in a short space of time you may have some in the oil

hope this helps
Many thanks Andrew, looking at the diagram and photo the screw I found comes out and the mixture screw is further down.
I was a bit afraid to take this screw completely out just in case it released something.

Last edited by 1978; Mar 7th, 2022 at 20:31.
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 13:42   #37

Many thanks guys, this certainly helped with running super rich, was able to lean it off so it would idle better, haven't had a chance to wait until she is warmed up so I can re-adjust, There is a massive water leak coming from somewhere too. Once I get it back up on the ramp I wont be able to sort the running rich when warm check. At least its a lot better now
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 13:52   #38
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Many thanks guys, this certainly helped with running super rich, was able to lean it off so it would idle better, haven't had a chance to wait until she is warmed up so I can re-adjust, There is a massive water leak coming from somewhere too. Once I get it back up on the ramp I wont be able to sort the running rich when warm check. At least its a lot better now
That's good news and progress in the right direction.

I'm guessing you haven't checked the cold start because of the water leak?

Old Mar 20th, 2022, 09:57   #39

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That's good news and progress in the right direction.

I'm guessing you haven't checked the cold start because of the water leak?
Thanks Laird Scooby slowly getting there.
I managed to find the water leak, heater hose.
I removed the cold start valve and got my wife to crank the engine and fuel sprayed out of the cold start valve in a nice cone shaped spray. Tried this again with the wire disconnected and the fuel did not spray out so assume this is working as it should, only this time the engine started up and revved its nuts off until
I shouted to her to turn it off. I guess it was the valve being out that caused this as when I refitted it it ran okay, but still was a bit rich. Now that I have the water leak under control I will put some more fuel in the tank and bring her up to normal running temperature and re-adjust the mixture control and see what happens next.
I will let you know how things go.
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 10:36   #40
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

All sounds good with the CSI so hopefully (water leak permitting!) you can tweak the mixture as it warms up and all will be good afterwards.