Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing belt change V90???

Views : 18291

Replies : 83

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 08:38   #1
Wispyone

Default Timing belt change V90???

Good morning

As in my first post I am in the process of looking for a nicely kitted out second hand V90, in my price range 18-19k I will probably end up with a higher milage vehicle.
I have tried to search this forum and also tried the Volvo UK website but can't find when the timing belt needs replacing.
I have seen a few cars I'm interested in, one at 69000 and the other at 60000, I believe belts are normally changed between 60-70000 is this correct.

Thank you

Richard
Wispyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 15:47   #2
Jackysi

Major service maintenance and timing cambelt change is at 105.000miles. I am not sure for rest of Europe, but I found that on the forum search.

Last time I talked to dealer, most cambelts are changed at 210.000km in Europe, but I will ask for sure tomorrow. Some markets expect belt to be changed sooner than others, due to weather and wear conditions (cold weather, sand, etc...)
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 16:08   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wispyone View Post
Good morning

As in my first post I am in the process of looking for a nicely kitted out second hand V90, in my price range 18-19k I will probably end up with a higher milage vehicle.
I have tried to search this forum and also tried the Volvo UK website but can't find when the timing belt needs replacing.
I have seen a few cars I'm interested in, one at 69000 and the other at 60000, I believe belts are normally changed between 60-70000 is this correct.

Thank you

Richard
The Cambelt change interval is now 90000 MILES or 10 years which ever comes first . It is unbelievable where all this dangerous hearsay information comes from on the Internet .. It is easy enough to contact the dealer 👍🏻
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 17:15   #4
gaby
Premier Member

Perhaps the intervals differ per region and/or period, the document is from Canada for 2016.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pages from 2016-Volvo-Maintenance-Schedule-v1.jpg (174.9 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by gaby; Mar 3rd, 2020 at 17:20.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 18:02   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Perhaps the intervals differ per region and/or period, the document is from Canada for 2016.
Is that for a VEA engine?

The VEA cambelt change interval WAS 144k miles/10 years but was reduced to 90k miles/10 years sometime last year. Would be good to know why!
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 18:03   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The Cambelt change interval is now 90000 MILES or 10 years which ever comes first . It is unbelievable where all this dangerous hearsay information comes from on the Internet .. It is easy enough to contact the dealer 👍🏻
My local dealer didn't know and guessed the wrong answer of 108k miles (which I believe is for the old 5-cylinder engines)
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 19:30   #7
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Is that for a VEA engine?

The VEA cambelt change interval WAS 144k miles/10 years but was reduced to 90k miles/10 years sometime last year. Would be good to know why!
Yes, except were noted it's for the current generation of 4-cylinder engines.
I would also like to know why it was reduced (although our car will be 10 years
old long before that, it will probably have 90000K miles in about 20 years )
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 20:03   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Yes, except were noted it's for the current generation of 4-cylinder engines.
I would also like to know why it was reduced (although our car will be 10 years
old long before that, it will probably have 90000K miles in about 20 years )
The reason is something to do with the emergency service vehicles , their interval is 50000 miles .

The copy of the handbook above is entirely unsuitable for the UK and confusing :-)
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 23:02   #9
James V90

Wispeyone....I am just in the process of booking mine in for its 90k belt service. It will also be going up for sale afterwards if your wanting one. It's in pearlescent white with pretty much all options including the 21 inch wheels. It's a 2017 D5 AWD, full volvo history, family pack, winter pack and xenium pack. Beautiful condition. All motorway miles due to me travelling between selby and Liverpool twice a week for 2.5 years. 52k list price new. Got new mats to go in it and will be having a couple of wheels re furbed by Rhino wheels in Preston. (Some curb rash). Has the built in booster seats, panoramic roof, rear blinds etc. Stunning car. Sad to let it go but my company is buying new electric car.
James V90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 08:13   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I guess wrong information on the internet comes from people thinking they know something but in fact they don't.

Speaking of which........

I am pretty sure that the 90k interval only applies to diesel SPA cars. I believe that petrol cars interval is 8 years or 144k miles as it has always been.

Oh and as for the 10 years you quote, I am almost certain that is wrong too. Intervals used to be 8yr/144k for both diesel and petrol. Then it was shortened for diesel cars. I am certain that they did not reduce the mileage for diesel and simultaneously increase the timescale.

Then again I could be wrong (but I don't think I am)......
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5

Last edited by Philip Fisher; Mar 5th, 2021 at 08:15.
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post: