Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Please Help !!! Any CVT Experts?

Views : 1279

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 12:11   #1
Neo

Still having problems with my '84(B) 340 CVT, the revs just do not want to drop you can't really go over 30mph without the engine screaming :-(

The low gear ratio switch in the centre console doesn't light up anymore, this might have something to do with it. I've just had it in to my local friendly volvo service agents and they can't source the problem !! (I think that they just don't have a clue to be honest) this car is in good condition and has just passed it's MOT for yet another year (these things just keep plodding on) it's only done 65,000 miles and I think there's lots more life in the old beast yet..... if I could just sort this one problem !!!!

Any help greatly appriciated.
Old Jul 6th, 2002, 09:45   #2
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RE: Please Help !!! Any CVT Experts?

im no expert, but it sound like the low gear hold is stuck on permanently. i believe this is vacuum operated, so maybe a failure?

cheers

james

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2002, 22:34   #3
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Change the 4way vacuum valve under the bonnet r/h has a rubber bellows either end.Try second hand as new is arm and a leg.
Paul.

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 14:17   #4
mollusk300

I am a new club member and new to this forum but I know a little about the CVT system.
Remember the ratio changes are effected mechanically via weighted quadrants in the outer primary pullys - the secondary pullys are sprung loaded and simply slave to the primaries.
The vacuum system either provides upchange assistance to the mechanical system (via up side of 4way vac-valve)during acceleration or removes this assistance to give "kick down" (via 4 way and throttle cable switch)or provides positive opposition to mechanical sytem (via high pressure brake switch or low ratio hold switch and brake side of 4 way valve).
The mechanical system goes on trying to upshift all the time.
The assistance / opposition is also controlled via the tachometric relay.

If you really cannot get more than 30mph without very high revs I think that sytem is in "positive opposition" mood ie. engine vacuum is being routed to the inner chambers of the primary pullys to force the tranmission to remain in low ratio. Assuming that you do not have a mechanical seizure of one or more pullys (rare in a "daily driver")
I would suggest you look at high pressure brake switch, low ratio hold switch, tachometric relay and brake side of 4 way valve. It is essential you source a wiring diagram as the system does not follow logic (eg. kickdown switch works by removing an earth from the tachorelay).

Sorry for such lengthy first post but I hope the above helps mollusk300.