Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone upgraded to an S80 from an S60?

Views : 2164

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2012, 22:38   #11
ppedras

If you can try to find one with the double and laminated side windows. Those REALLY make a diference on reducing in-car noise. My mom's S80 T6 is very quiet, the only downside on S80's are the side mirrors, those make more noise than they should.
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 14:00   #12
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppedras View Post
If you can try to find one with the double and laminated side windows. Those REALLY make a diference on reducing in-car noise. My mom's S80 T6 is very quiet, the only downside on S80's are the side mirrors, those make more noise than they should.
Ha, one of lifes mysteries solved. I didn't drive an 80 for long enough to trace the annoying wind noise
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 18:32   #13
S80T60James
S80T6James

Hello,

I had an S80 T6 and it was the best motorway car I've ever owned. Supreme comfort and effortless driving :0)

Not sporty at all but when a range rover comes up your ar$e on in the outside lane I just loved slowing down then flooring it and watching them disappear on my rear view mirror!! :0)

Not for twisty a or b roads though. BMW have cornered that market.
S80T60James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2012, 19:58   #14
grandtourer

yeah i'd love a T6 - i love 6 cylinder engines they purr. No way I can afford the fuel bill though.
grandtourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 13:11   #15
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S80T60James View Post
Not for twisty a or b roads though. BMW have cornered that market.
I'd second that.

Having come out of an A4 2 months ago in favour of a 2012my S80 D3, I've found that I certainly can't throw the S80 around the corners like I could the Audi.

However, I don't really mind - the S80 is superior in every other way. Mine came with the laminated side windows, along with pretty much every other extra you could imagine, and I have to say it is extremely quiet on all roads.

After owning it 2 weeks we went on a family holiday up north; I drove 300 miles in 6 hours and got out of the car fresh as a daisy - not bad for someone who has suffered with lower lumbar pain for the last 12 years!

My only real gripe is that I would like a bit more headroom - I'm 6'5" but have an unusually long back (only 34" inside leg) so it's a bit tight for me, don't know whether an S80 without a sunroof would provide better headroom?
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 14:05   #16
ppedras

I have to agree on everything. The only big downside is the 4speed gearbox.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 14:12   #17
St Evelyn
VOC Member

I've gone for the 6-speed manual with the 5-cylinder D3 engine so can't comment on the auto box I'm afraid.

However, the manual is smooth and easy-going, although it won't let me drop below 40 in 6th - I could do 30 in top (5th) in the Audi if I wanted to...
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 18:35   #18
grandtourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Evelyn View Post
I've gone for the 6-speed manual with the 5-cylinder D3 engine so can't comment on the auto box I'm afraid.

However, the manual is smooth and easy-going, although it won't let me drop below 40 in 6th - I could do 30 in top (5th) in the Audi if I wanted to...
The A4 is a fair bit smaller and lighter though isn't it?

As for headroom, i'd have though you'd have more headroom WITH a sunroof - well..... when it's open anyway.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 20:07   #19
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandtourer View Post
The A4 is a fair bit smaller and lighter though isn't it?

As for headroom, i'd have though you'd have more headroom WITH a sunroof - well..... when it's open anyway.
You're right - the A4 is more comparable in size to an S60, so it's no great surprise that the S80 is less nimble.

As for the sunroof, if they'd have made it a panoramic roof like so many cars nowadays I'd probably be laughing; problem is the edge of it is too near to the centre of the car, so my head is underneath the headlining rather than the glass. It's a shame, if it was that little bit wider then I could have stuck my head out of it as you suggest!
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 09:13   #20
grandtourer

Yeah i've noticed that with sunroofs - a while back any sunroof was directly over your head. With more aerodynamic cars these days and more slanted windscreens, any sunroof is somewhere above and behind you. Not the same.