Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Proper suspension alignment

Views : 295

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2023, 20:39   #1
brickman
Premier Member

Default Proper suspension alignment

98 v70 tdi. Comets with regular 215/45 17 tyres. Lowered on apex/koni active, sits at stock R ride height so geometry is correct (tdi has same 4 bolt subframe).
All bush's and parts are new or have zero issue.

Was aligned after I redid every rear-end component last year at a well know (and previously reputed) volvo independent and for all of 80 miles it drove perfect, very straight under acceleration and hard braking, perfect balance and turn in with very good high speed stability on fast twisty a roads. Couldn't be happier. 85 miles later heard a metallic rattle so stopped and checked wheel bolts, all good, drove a few more miles and nearly had a massive crash, car then crabbing and just feeling horrific. Pulled up, got a torch underneath and could see two loose bolts on delta arm, did them up with what I had ans drove on.

Got to destination at low speed. Next day took to mates garage (remote Scotland now) and found most of thr rear end bolts that allow adjustment for delta links were hanging out or fairly loose.

So got it as best poss given his equipment and drove on.
Garage that did the work got very teflon about the situation, spoke to the mechanic who dis it who confirmed "I did up the two adjuster bolts to torque so it wasn't our fault". When there are at least 5 bolts that need to be loosed in order to adjust rear end of a p80 car. So they admitted fault but wouldn't realign it.

Had it quickly checked by a high Street garage during mot who said everything was in spec but wouldn't give me a print out.

Drove a few thousand miles and back left tyre worn to the cords on the inside, rest of tyre had a slight wedge (less wear outside more wear inside but nothing bad really) but the wear on the inside (almost on the sidewall and not the treaded area) is severe. Tyre pressure kept up, no punctures out repairs etc.

Anyways car always just drives left this whole time, letting go of the wheel at 30mph would result in hitting a kerb within a few seconds. Driving on wrong side of road, car still quickly moves out of wrong lane and into the left lane, so it's not road and it's not tyre related (summer and winter wheels swapped about). It's not brakes amd it's not driveline.

So went to another high Street tyre place and they did a hunter alignment. However they did it under 15 minutes which smells very much of another **** job

Have a look at the numbers below. It now drives straighter but still nothing like it was before all the bolts were left loose! So car is possible of driving extremely well. I believe the high Street tyre spot adjusted a single tie rod at the front as steering wheel is now wonky as, and did nothing with the rear but instead just moved the gauge on thr wheel to fool the read out.

Suspect rear end is still wrong. And new tyres will get trashed in thr same way. And also suspect part of my car turning left issue is the wonky caster angle up front (sub frame needs tweaked). Caster is also too far positive which causes nervous behaviour at low speeds but at higher speeds car feels very solid, just turns left lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20230725-WA0001.jpg (161.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230728_203516.jpg (151.6 KB, 12 views)
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 07:47   #2
4x4
Premier Member

After many poor alignments there are now only a couple of placed I go to have it done. Pro-Grip, Larbert and KBM, Hillington
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 14:00   #3
brickman
Premier Member

Great cheers. Had tried to ring the rally car prep guys before but think they are either on holiday or run off their feet. Good reputation usually means too busy to answer the phone which is fair enough!

Its all about how much the tech actually cares.